Subject: Playing with painted minis... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
How do peoeple find this?

Whilst I do acknowledge that good painted minis are a beautiful work of art, I can't help wondering how well you can distinguish between the armies.

For example, I have painted the rim of the mini bases as per Ricky Royal, and at a glance it is easy to tell which minis belong in which army, and it's immediate seeing the Free People's armies when comparing to the Shadow player's armies because of the base red verses blue colours.

I can't help thinking that once they're painted it will be hard to tell them all apart without careful inspection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
When you paint your minis, it's a completely different experience and it's also much easier to tell the minis apart.. cool
I just left the bases in colors of the nations to help distinguish them..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned the glorious Collectors Edition for some time - I never played with it, but the same thought occurred to me. The painted minis would be fine for leaders but it seemed to me that it would be easier to use stacks of coloured counters for the various minions. As well as any problem of identification, it seems the board could be very crowded without such a shortcut solution.

Of course there's nothing wrong with painting all the pieces - it does make for an excellent talking point, not to mention photo-opportunity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very easily. All the miniatures of a particular type are painted the same way. We've never confused one side's miniatures for the other.

The only downside is the time and effort to paint them all. If you buy the pre-painted versions then you don't even have that problem.

In addition to making the experience of the game better, it makes set up much quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At minimum, coloring the bases is vital, because discerning the armies apart based on two sold plastic colors is virtually impossible for me. Fortunately, I have a fully painted set, but whether I keep it or not will be determined by the quality of the AE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone for their reply.

I painted all my Zombicide figures and it's not a big problem, but you do end up looking hard to move a certain type of figure as they all seem to blend in; painted or not though.

Painting the rim of the base works perfectly in WotR, however I am torn between painting them fully but had doubts about gaming with them afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
I went with the spray painting method. I spray painted the shadow factions warm colors (leaving sauron unpainted red while painting the Nazgul black) and FP cool colors. I got slightly fancy with the leaders by spraying them gold and painting each flag the color of their associated faction. I also plan to hand paint the fellowship and minions so that they stand out. See the picture... it makes the game much quicker to set up and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very nice James. How long would you say it took to spray them? I don't have a sprayer & painted a lot of the Zombicide figs in individual styles which took forever. But I think investing in some new tools will speed things up, especially for larger number of figs that I'll paint the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
You could do them all in an afternoon and let them dry for a week (or apply a second coat after a day, if necessary). Then spend another afternoon to seal. Probably less than 6 hours total of work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
OMG, that's amazingly quick!

Goodbye brushes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have hand painted a complete set of the base game, (BotTA), LoME and WoME. All models have bases in their national colours (as outlined on the map). This makes identifying them much easier and adds a lot to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a three (five??) step method on the regulars, elites and leaders:

1. Spray primer
2. Paint entire piece in solid nation color
3. Ink wash
4. Drybrush to highlight with lighter shade of base color
4.5. Picked out additional details on some pieces such as White Hand on shields, flags, white tree, etc.
5. Spray sealer

I think it probably took about 40 hours total. I did it as a compromise between the time required to fully paint each figure and the spray paint option described above. I didn't go with the spray paint option because it would have limited my color choices. With acrylic paints, I was able to choose a near perfect color match to the nation borders on the board.

Doing this was sooooo worth it!

Last night I began the job of detail painting the Nazgul, Companions, Minions, etc. It was pretty slow going...hopefully that will be done within a couple weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Rob, this sounds like a fab idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

I got a lot of help from Jeff (Xookliba) K. He created a thread about it:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1269760/war-ring-painting-p...

Here are the pictures of how mine turned out:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a simple beauty to your set, Rob. Not to take away from it, but I wonder what the effect would be of giving the bases of the Shadow units a nice matte black and a light color for the FP nations, now that the minis themselves are easy to distinguish by nation. This would be for aesthetic reasons mainly, to make the sculpts pop a little more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my plan for the Minions and Companions. I wanted them to be different from the regulars and easily distinguishable on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Porkins_ wrote:
That is my plan for the Minions and Companions. I wanted them to be different from the regulars and easily distinguishable on the board.

Those really look great Rob, I especially like the look of the Gondor and Rohan units. Can you share which specific paints you used for those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the colors I used:

I chose colors that were a little more vibrant than what I wanted the final color to be since the wash step darkens them a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.