11 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Terraformin Mars foam core insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Lundin
msg tools
So this is what I came up with.

To have the cards in a custom holder is especially good when you have your cards sleeved. I am quite satisfied with this insert. It serves its purpose well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léo Chabanne
France
Grenoble
FRA
flag msg tools
I forgot one tiny rule..
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty neat. Well done.

Question aside: how do you cut the foam board, because I'm using a utility knife and it's never a super clean cut?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
Just an ordinary snap-off knife. Changing the blade often. I enjoy doing inserts a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking sharp. But unless something like this is available for reasonable money, I guess I'll stick to bags like the pleb that I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
leochab wrote:
Pretty neat. Well done.

Question aside: how do you cut the foam board, because I'm using a utility knife and it's never a super clean cut?

Use a new blade and a metal edge/ruler.

Make a light, gentle cut just going through the top layer of paper. Then make a second firmer cut to go through the foam and bottom paper. You could even do three cuts (if you have the patience): paper, foam, paper.

Trying to go through everything at once will make the blade snag and tear the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Jackson
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
leochab wrote:
Pretty neat. Well done.

Use a new blade and a metal edge/ruler.

Make a light, gentle cut just going through the top layer of paper. Then make a second firmer cut to go through the foam and bottom paper. You could even do three cuts (if you have the patience): paper, foam, paper.

Trying to go through everything at once will make the blade snag and tear the board.

Also, I find that touching up the blade using a fine diamond sharpener ($15ish) after every couple of cuts help keep the cuts cleaner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done. I never have the patience to make them so clean. As an aside, folks do realize, you can do decent foam inserts even if you are not this fancy. I have done a few, and while not so pretty, they are very functional. The game box provides a nice structural template and will help fortify your insert once you put it in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus, are those raised sections in the base hollow, or are they stacked up sections of foamcore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
They are hollow boxes. Because it uses less foam core, I think it is better to build hollow boxes when you want to create different levels. It's very good to build levels if you want shallow boxes for certain components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Also I suppose you can modify the base and build new removable boxes if expansions need more room

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
Tarnop wrote:
Thanks! Also I suppose you can modify the base and build new removable boxes if expansions need more room

Yes. I did that with my Mage Knight insert. No problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.