Subject: 4.5 Hours to play first scenario....lol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night my family and I played MoM2e and we selected the first scenario. My wife & I had played the first scenario before but her son, her daughter, her daughter's fiance' had never played MoM2e before just original a few times.

it took us 4.5 hours to play (we lost) but it was really fun!!!!!

How long has the first scenario been for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just finished playing scenario 1 again (5th time playing this one) and we took 3 hours. We won and we each had two investigators. I still like to read out all the flavour text even though we have read it all before.

I suppose we could have reduced the time by an hour if we had zoomed through the flavour text but I think 2 hours is probably a minimum for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in our group we like to have the flavor text read on app and on cards. Also, for horror checks last night we all did separate ones rather than the same check for everyone. next time we agreed to just do the same horror check for all players during the Mythos Phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
in our group we like to have the flavor text read on app and on cards. Also, for horror checks last night we all did separate ones rather than the same check for everyone. next time we agreed to just do the same horror check for all players during the Mythos Phase

FYI, That's actually the rule if it's the same monster. RRG under Horror Step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's common that when FF labels a time, it's meant to be tripled, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Head_Rat wrote:
I have just finished playing scenario 1 again (5th time playing this one) and we took 3 hours. We won and we each had two investigators. I still like to read out all the flavour text even though we have read it all before.

I suppose we could have reduced the time by an hour if we had zoomed through the flavour text but I think 2 hours is probably a minimum for us.

So, is this scenario supposed to be the shortest scenario that will allegedly take you 90min to complete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
"60-90 minutes"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
it took us 4.5 hours to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

How long has the first scenario been for you?

Played it twice with a full table, over 3 hours both times. I'm told it goes a lot faster with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I don't feel so bad for 5 hours for Innsmouth now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea how it could possibly take that long unless you are taking breaks and really thinking about each turn. I've played the first scenario 3 times with a full group of 5, and the longest it has taken us is like 2 hours and 15 minutes including the set up time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of the players suffer from Analysis Paralysis, everyone but me was new to it, we mistakenly did separate horror checks at the end of each mythos phase, we looked up rules a lot (especially about fire & darkness), one player INSISTED she roll one die at a time every time she had to roll and then complain for about 15 seconds (each roll) when the result wasn't in her favor, we read all flavor text for everything possible and lastly, no one was in a hurry (as always with this group) to get done because we all knew this was the last game of the night we'd be playing.

It was FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McClay
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

FYI, That's actually the rule if it's the same monster. RRG under Horror Step.

I'm so glad this got answered! I was going to post this question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Here's a tip... When FF labels a time length for a game, always double it, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
Here's a tip... When FF labels a time length for a game, always double it, at least.

time estimates on board game boxes are never calculated for first timers but for players who are familiar with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of scenario one with just 2 players took 4 hours as there was a lot of rule book flicking. My second game with four of us (3 new players this time) still took me 4 and a half hours.

I was pleasantly surprised it played differently though with different locations and events.

But it did out stay its welcome tbh since I was playing with a group who usually have to leave early after 2-3 hours.

In our second game we all went insane and my insane character did cause the game to drag out even further. I think I will remove the offending insanity card from future games as we felt afterwards that it effected the fun factor of the game and would alienate one player from the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only game we played was the Innsmouth scenario...and that took 5 of us 8+ hours to play. Granted 4 of us were new players, but it doesn't take that many rounds for you to get the hang of it.

Mind you, it was a great 8 hours. We had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.