4 Posts

Covert» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LEE BRYAN
msg tools
Hi all,

Can the special ability be used immediately after being drawn from either agency card or the special ability folder?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-F Audy
Canada
Chambly
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no reason they could not be used immediately after being drawn. Using them do not count as an action and there's no limit for the number of special ability you can used per turn.

For example, yesterday I needed an agency card to fly me to a particular destination so I could complete a mission. I took my action to pick the card, then I flew directly to the destination. With my next dice, I completed my mission.

I think it's part of the fun with this game to try to figure out the best way to complete a mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tierney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first game, the situation came up where I needed an agency card with a gun to complete a mission. There was only one "gun" in the face-up row of agency cards, but it was in a region where I had an agent.

I had one action die in the "draw agency card" section, but none in the "move agent" section. Unfortunately, my opponent also had an agent in the same region, and took the "gun" card from that region on the first turn of the round. The replacement card was not a gun.

So my quest for a gun card began. First, I played a special action token that let me draw 3 agency cards and keep 1. None had a gun, but one card had the same "draw 3 keep 1" ability, so I took it and immediately played it. Same result, no gun, but another one had the same ability. Same result again (At this point I had drawn 9 cards, none of which was a gun), except this time one agency card had the special ability that let me move agent(s) a total of 3 steps. With that card, I was able to move one of my agents 2 steps to pick up enough intel to take a face-up agency card. It wasn't much help, BUT automatically refilling the slot with a new face-up agency card revealed the gun card I needed. Since I had an agent in that region, I was able to use my original action (take a face-up agency card) to acquire it. Yay! I got the card I needed, but it felt like I must have broken the rules somewhere along the way.

I then woke up my opponent and, on my next turn, completed the mission.

Our first two player game lasted almost 2 hours. My example above was probably the longest single turn, but I also had the special power to do 2 swaps on the code combinations grid each round. Those 2 swaps, along with usually placing a helper die there each round, enabled me to solve both of my combination cards 5 times during the game -- but me solving that puzzle each round slowed the game down.

Covert will probably be another game like Grand Austria Hotel for me, where 2 players is fine, 3 maybe, and 4 never.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schootle S
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On the rulebook, page 4 second column, it says that after immediately drawing one special operation token, "the player will be able to activate its special ability on a future turn." Does it only mean that you can keep it until your future turns, but can use it immediately if you want to?

And we can use the abilites right before the normal action, can't we? For example, during my turn of placing dice, I used an ability to search mission card first, and then placed a die on one of action spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.