Hide
24 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can someone please explain Leap? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Aston
msg tools
We were playing for the first time last night and Leap got us very confused.

The scenario was in the tavern and one hero wanted to jump from the balcony to the ground floor. He has the leap skill.

According to the scenario this action would cause 2 Orange Dice for Falling damage. But Leap means this is only 1 die (all good so far).

When looking at the Leap skill card it makes no sense, we get that you roll a red dice but what for? Is it a defence die so you just got to roll more than is on the orange dice to succeed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daston wrote:
We were playing for the first time last night and Leap got us very confused.

The scenario was in the tavern and one hero wanted to jump from the balcony to the ground floor. He has the leap skill.

According to the scenario this action would cause 2 Orange Dice for Falling damage. But Leap means this is only 1 die (all good so far).

When looking at the Leap skill card it makes no sense, we get that you roll a red dice but what for? Is it a defence die so you just got to roll more than is on the orange dice to succeed?

Ignore the skill card: the scenario tells you everything you need:

Quote:
The character rolls {2 Orange} for falling damage. If the character has Leap, the character rolls {1 Orange} instead.

You take damage equal to the number of successes.

That's all there is to it.

(It would be nice to know if you can spend Stamina to re-roll. i assume you can.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look on the Hunting The Tigress scenario, you will see the leap icon with a 1 or 2 - this is where the red die comes in for determining whether or not you roll enough sucesses to make the jump. Otherwise, if there are scenario-specific rules, as you are referring to, (I'm pretty sure) these will replace the normal jump roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
If you look on the Hunting The Tigress scenario, you will see the leap icon with a 1 or 2 - this is where the red die comes in for determining whether or not you roll enough sucesses to make the jump. Otherwise, if there are scenario-specific rules, as you are referring to, (I'm pretty sure) these will replace the normal jump roll.

Right: in this case it's not a use of the Leap skill, but a scenario-specific benefit provided to characters who have that skill. This same mechanic is used in other scenarios as well (e.g. For All of Ophir's Gold, except that that one uses Red dice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Kupisz
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
Can someone please tell me what and where is the " number on an adjacent Leap area"? I just don't understand what this is refering to... An example o a Leap action would be very helpful, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cieq wrote:
Can someone please tell me what and where is the " number on an adjacent Leap area"? I just don't understand what this is refering to... An example o a Leap action would be very helpful, thanks

This is scenario-specific. Look at the Hunting the Tigress scenario for an example: several of the spaces between the ships have a "Leap" symbol and a number 1 or 2. That number is the number of successes you need with the Leap skill to cross those spaces. If you don't have the Leap skill, you cannot attempt to leap over them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Kupisz
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
Thank you!

I' ve just played through my first game and was frustrated with my inability to explain some rules... Although i loved how the heroes worked together, discussed strategies and tried to guess which hut hides Yselda. Once I figure out all the rules and have absolutely no doubt about them ( for example if a hero has a weapon, and assigns a gem to the melee attack, resolves it and decides to assign one more gem, do they roll the bonus dice from the weapon as well or just the single dice from the melee Field? ) This will be the most engaging and fun to play game i have in my collection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cieq wrote:
( for example if a hero has a weapon, and assigns a gem to the melee attack, resolves it and decides to assign one more gem, do they roll the bonus dice from the weapon as well or just the single dice from the melee Field? )

Yes - for each melee attack, you add the dice from your character's Melee box and one weapon. The same applies to ranged attacks, except that you use the Ranged box dice instead of the Melee box. If your character has the Ambidextrous skill, in melee combat they can add the dice from 2 "light" melee weapons (with a weight of 2 or less) instead of 1 weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mb
I still don't understand it. So... Leap can only be used in certain specific scenarios that have leap icons (e.g. "Hunting the Tigress")? In all other scenarios, Leap does nothing (e.g. "In the Clutches of the Picts")? Is that correct?

And is Leap affected by the Blocking ability that e.g. the Giant Snake has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:
I still don't understand it. So... Leap can only be used in certain specific scenarios that have leap icons (e.g. "Hunting the Tigress")? In all other scenarios, Leap does nothing (e.g. "In the Clutches of the Picts")? Is that correct?

Correct.

SpectrumDT wrote:
And is Leap affected by the Blocking ability that e.g. the Giant Snake has?

Blocking's description is quite explicit:

Quote:
Enemy characters without Evasive cannot move out of this character's area.

So "no", you cannot Leap out of a Blocker's zone unless you have the Evasive skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
SpectrumDT wrote:
[q="SpectrumDT"]And is Leap affected by the Blocking ability that e.g. the Giant Snake has?

Blocking's description is quite explicit:

Quote:
Enemy characters without Evasive cannot move out of this character's area.

So "no", you cannot Leap out of a Blocker's zone unless you have the Evasive skill.

Thanks.

Do you have a source for this? Because this is not obvious. The spell "Teleport" has the word "move" on it, yet it has been said elsewhere[0] that this ignores Blocking. For all we know, the same might apply to Leap.

[0] http://www.monolithedition.com/conan-en/dans-les-griffes-des...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:

Do you have a source for this? Because this is not obvious. The spell "Teleport" has the word "move" on it, yet it has been said elsewhere[0] that this ignores Blocking. For all we know, the same might apply to Leap.

[0] http://www.monolithedition.com/conan-en/dans-les-griffes-des...

i quoted my source: the skill card. It is 100% explicit. Teleportation is not a move action, but a spell which has the side-effect of relocating the user (ignoring all obstacles (which is explicit in the French edition, and unfortunately missing from the English edition)). Blocking applies explicitly to "movement".

Just like Magic the Gathering uses English as the official language, Conan uses French, so any conflicting wording on the French cards supersedes the English. (In this case, Teleportation ignoring all obstacles, which implies that Blocking can have no effect on it because enemy models are otherwise obstacles.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In "Hunting the Tigress" do you get re-rolls on a failed Leap ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stenfisker wrote:
In "Hunting the Tigress" do you get re-rolls on a failed Leap ?

You don't "get" (free) rerolls but you can always spend gems to reroll unless explicitly specified otherwise (or at least that's my understanding, and i can't currently think of a case where it's explicitly not allowed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyzi Shadow
msg tools
From the French comments section of "Hunting the Tigress", Leap is unaffected by both movement hindering and roll hindering.

So it's still 1 or 2 hits (depending on difficulty) on the red die to make the roll, even if you jump from a space with an adversary.
And after the roll, no matter if you succeeded or not, you spend only 2 movement points even if adversaries hindering your movement are present.

I hope it will be clarified in the rules v2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyzi Shadow wrote:
From the French comments section of "Hunting the Tigress", Leap is unaffected by both movement hindering and roll hindering.

So it's still 1 or 2 hits (depending on difficulty) on the red die to make the roll, even if you jump from a space with an adversary.
And after the roll, no matter if you succeeded or not, you spend only 2 movement points even if adversaries hindering your movement are present.

FWIW, that decision makes no sense to me whatsoever. How can having enemies in your way (in the space you're jumping from) not affect your ability to jump?

i wouldn't expect enemies in the target space to have any effect because hindering only affects movement out of a zone, not into it.

i stubbornly refuse to accept that judgement, even if it is directly from Monolith. It simply makes no sense whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
FWIW, that decision makes no sense to me whatsoever. How can having enemies in your way (in the space you're jumping from) not affect your ability to jump?

i wouldn't expect enemies in the target space to have any effect because hindering only affects movement out of a zone, not into it.

i stubbornly refuse to accept that judgement, even if it is directly from Monolith. It simply makes no sense whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm with you on that - you can't walk out of the area without paying extra movement, but you can leap over to another boat without any problem? Very odd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Richardson
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking this is a theamatic choice. In battle facing overwhelming odds, the hero bolts over the rail to the relative safety of the nearby ship.

I'm doubting there will be tournament rules guys. Play what feels right for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanos2001 wrote:
I'm thinking this is a theamatic choice. In battle facing overwhelming odds, the hero bolts over the rail to the relative safety of the nearby ship.

Think about it, though: if a hero can Leap away from a crowd of enemies in this scenario, why can't he Leap way from crowds of enemies in In the Clutches of the Picts? That's an inexcusable inconsistency, and is as completely inexplicable a decision as many of the translation issues.

Face. Palm. FACEPALM.

My group (of one, so not really a group, strictly speaking, unless i'm eventually diagnosed as schizophrenic) will be ignoring that bit of wisdom epic fail. Leaping is a Movement skill and is therefore hindered like Movement. Period.

One notable exception: when playing a John Carter of Mars crossover, placing the scenario on Mars, and playing with the hero John Carter, i would allow him to simply leap wherever the hell he wants to because he can. But this isn't Mars, and that ain't John Carter. Leaping between ships requires room to run, and hindering affects that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyzi Shadow wrote:

Yes you got it.

The exact translation of the French game aids is : Leap - the character can jump over the places appropriate for it. To succeed, he rolls one red die and the result must equal or exceed the difficulty rating. Leap is not effected by hindering.

sgbeal wrote:
Think about it, though: if a hero can Leap away from a crowd of enemies in this scenario, why can't he Leap way from crowds of enemies in In the Clutches of the Picts

As you see in the french version "the character can jump over the places appropriate for it"...there's no such place in the village map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
Lyzi Shadow wrote:

Yes you got it.

The exact translation of the French game aids is : Leap - the character can jump over the places appropriate for it. To succeed, he rolls one red die and the result must equal or exceed the difficulty rating. Leap is not effected by hindering.

sgbeal wrote:
Think about it, though: if a hero can Leap away from a crowd of enemies in this scenario, why can't he Leap way from crowds of enemies in In the Clutches of the Picts

As you see in the french version "the character can jump over the places appropriate for it"...there's no such place in the village map.

If i'm blocked in by 10 enemies and the next zone over is free of enemies, then that next zone is damned appropriate for me . i'm gonna Leap if doing so is not hindered by the 10 enemies surrounding me.

i refuse to abide by this particular rules judgement. It's blatantly inconsistent and utterly unjustifiable, thematically or otherwise. (One does not forget how to Leap simply because there is no water or high ledge on the map.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
i refuse to abide by this particular rules judgement. It's blatantly inconsistent and utterly unjustifiable, thematically or otherwise. (One does not forget how to Leap simply because there is no water or high ledge on the map.)

I understand your point, I'm not here to argue.

I'm just trying to explain the rules as I know them...waiting like you for the 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
If i'm blocked in by 10 enemies and the next zone over is free of enemies, then that next zone is damned appropriate for me . i'm gonna Leap if doing so is not hindered by the 10 enemies surrounding me.

Maybe it's a barbarian code of honour: A true barbarian does not leap unless there is something to leap across!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Maybe it's a barbarian code of honour: A true barbarian does not leap unless there is something to leap across!

Shivvy's not a barbarian, nor is Haddy, nor is Valeria, nor are Bêlit nor her Guards.

AFAIK, the only true barbarian in the game is THE Barbarian In the Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.