8 Posts

Dust 1947» Forums » General

Subject: New Player - Confused rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo Di Giovanni
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi, i've always been interested in Dust but after all these years i never actually gave an opportunity to the game, because here in Italy it's pretty rare to find someone who plays it.

Even so, recently i convinced myself to buy a starter package of the game. Altough, after having a look at BGG, i have no idea about which i should buy it.

How many version there are? What's Dust Warfare, Dust Tactics and 1947? Are they all grid-based? Which one is gridless? I'm sorry but i'm totally confused.
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Yes, it's a bit of a mess. But don't worry, it's not that complicated.

1. Dust Tactics version 1 (Grids) was released by FFG

2. Dust Warfare (Gridless) with very different rules, also by FFG

3. Dust Tactics V2 (Grids), released by Battlefront

4. Rules for playing Gridless were included in V2 and they were called "Dust Tactics Battlefield" (or simply "Battlefield")

5. Dust 1947 is the latest version and includes rules for playing both on and off Grids.

I hope that clears some of the confusion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankysan
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To make it a bit simpler: The latest version of the game (Dust 1947) supports both playing on a grid and gridless. Both the rules and (soon) the unit stat cards for this version is available to download for free. All previously released units and models can be used for this new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Riccardo

You can download the latest rules for Dust 1947 for free:
http://dustgame.com/downloadfile.php

The updated cards should be available from that same link soon'ish.

I'm using the Dust 1947 rules with the V2 cards for now. As Frankysan said above, you can use any and all units that were previously released for any of the Dust game versions with the Dust 1947 system.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Di Giovanni
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!

So basically 1947 is the definitive edition. Why it's also rated as the worst? Are rules completely screwed up or it's just one of the consequences after the shipment issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not sure about the rating, but people usually rate for different personal reasons.

I find the new rules to be nice and streamlined. Of course, with any new set of rules there will be people unhappy with the changes. My personal issue with the new rules is strictly with the infantry unit cover rules. I like the LOS (line of sight) and range rules, but hate the new cover rule for infantry. I have played with it a few times, and I didn't like it as it takes some of the join of positioning minis on the board out of the game. Instead, I have adopted the AT-43 rule for that particular situation.

I recommend that you read through the Dust 1947 rule book. It's pretty nice laid out, and it's easy to go through. You can skip the history and platoon, and mission sections so that you can go through it quick to get a feel for what it's like.

Let us know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarblade wrote:
Thanks everyone!

So basically 1947 is the definitive edition. Why it's also rated as the worst? Are rules completely screwed up or it's just one of the consequences after the shipment issues?

The best version was the V1 "revised" edition.

Then it became a dice-fest, along with a system that promotes illogical situations. 1947 fixes a few of the problems V2 had... but it doesn't address the more critical of them.

V1 had it's problems... but they were linked mostly to specific units and could be ignored. Later editions added general problems that concerns the core of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarblade wrote:
Why it's also rated as the worst? Are rules completely screwed up or it's just one of the consequences after the shipment issues?

I would say it is both resentment over the Kickstarter and how that destroyed the traction Dust was making and how the 'consultation' with the remaining players went when the beta versions of the rules were released (or the final as they called it till everyone found all the errors throughout the book).

There is probably a bit of resentment with old Battlefield players who feel the LOS and cover rules were dumbed down so that the one rules set could cover both modes of playing. I haven't played enough to get a good opinion on the LOS issue but the change to making the unit leader invincible to the end for free-form only bugs me. The lack of area terrain definition is also noticeable (and oddly enough added back int he tournament pack). I think because there is something big enough to bug everyone that a lot of house-ruled playstyles will emerge and that'll make it hard for competition gamers to get together with an agreed set of rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.