Honshu» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeves, card sizes, and placing cards underneath others rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Bollmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we picked up a copy of this game at Essen, and found the game itself to be very intriguing and enjoyable. The combination of trick taking and map building with overlapping cards is a cool idea.

There is one practical issue, though, that really stood out -- we found placing a card underneath an existing card to be damn near impossible. If your table has a clean, smooth surface, it's impossible to slide cards underneath others without first picking up the already-placed card. But that can be quite difficult to do if that card itself already overlaps with several others... in short, we actually found it impossible to do without destroying the already laid-out landscape and/or physically damaging the cards by scratching at them with our fingernails.

An obvious solution would be to use sleeves, which makes sliding cards into each other trivially easy. However, we found that the size of cards in this game is 56x83mm, and the closest sleeve size is Standard USA at 56x87mm. This means 4mm overlap on one side, which is really annoying when you need to shuffle the cards...

tl;dr: Placing a card underneath another one is really difficult; sleeves would help with this; but no matching sleeve size seems to exist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get a gaming mat to play on. Might be overkill or more trouble than you want to go to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bollmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
You could get a gaming mat to play on. Might be overkill or more trouble than you want to go to.

Aaaah, that could help as well. As a former M:tG player, I have a few of those. Thanks for the suggestion, will try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric Meurrens
France
LESQUIN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to cut some of 56x87... (rule + cutter) long work but the game needs it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fredm wrote:
I will try to cut some of 56x87... (rule + cutter) long work but the game needs it !

Swan Panasia makes a lot of sleeves.

I recommend the 56x87mm sleeves.

These are the perfect width. They are 4-5mm too long and you may want to trim them back. But they are better fit than other sleeves.

I did try them with the more common sizes mentioned above. Those sleeves work, but these are a better fit in the width and slightly shorter in the length.

I also tried the SwanPanasia 57x99mm sleeves. They are a bit wider and much longer. So the 56x87 are better.

I then tried the SwanPanasia 55x82mm sleeves. These are a perfect length, but a hair too narrow. Don't use these. The cards will not fit.

If I decide to sleeve something, I usually KMC HyperMatte for standard cards, and don't usually go with SwanPanasia. But if I feel that sleeves will help and need a custom size, I always try Swan Panasia first. They usually come close enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.