11 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engaging and attacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Asmus
msg tools
Hey all,

Apologies if this has already been asked. I finished reading through the rules and the one thing I found unclear has to do with engaging and fighting since they are two separate actions. Do I have to engage an enemy at a location before being able to attack it? If I don't have to engage the enemy to attack, and don't end up defeating it, then am I in turn engaged? Or does it remain at that location?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You do not have to be engaged with an enemy to attack it. However being engaged with an enemy prevents it attacking another party member (or pursuing them with its "Prey" rule if it has one).

Any enemy in the same location as a hunter will automatically engage you unless it is either: already engaged, exhausted, or has the "Aloof" special rule. That means that any exhausted enemies will engage during the upkeep phase when they Ready if there are any Investigators at that location. It also means if you enter a location with an enemy there, it will immediately engage you if it does not fulfil one or more of the above criteria.

EDIT: I can't remember right now how "Massive" interacts with engagement. I know you don't move into a threatened area, but I think it counts as being engaged with all investigators as long as it's ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From the Rules Reference, Fight:

An investigator may fight any enemy at his or her location, including: an enemy he or she is engaged with, an unengaged enemy at the same location, or an enemy engaged with another investigator who is at the same location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, attacking an enemy engaged with another investigator runs the risk of wounding that investigator if the attack fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Enemies don't ready in the Enemy Phase. They do so in the upkeep phase. This means newly engaged investigators will have their action phase to deal with this before enemy attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renegade626 wrote:
Hey all,

Apologies if this has already been asked. I finished reading through the rules and the one thing I found unclear has to do with engaging and fighting since they are two separate actions. Do I have to engage an enemy at a location before being able to attack it? If I don't have to engage the enemy to attack, and don't end up defeating it, then am I in turn engaged? Or does it remain at that location?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that as soon as you are in a room with an unengaged, readied enemy it will engage you automatically.

You can attack any enemy in the same location no matter whom it is engaged with but if the enemy is engaged with another investigator and you fail you attack then you do your damage to the other investigator instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tom Kassel wrote:
Enemies don't ready in the Enemy Phase. They do so in the upkeep phase. This means newly engaged investigators will have their action phase to deal with this before enemy attacks.

D'oh! This is what I meant, I'll go back and fix. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
can an investigator engage a weakness enemy that has "prey: brearer only " who is engaged with an other investigator?

My guess would be no but i want to be sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
can an investigator engage a weakness enemy that has "prey: brearer only " who is engaged with an other investigator?

My guess would be no but i want to be sure

The answer is yes.

"Other investigators may use the engage action or card abilities to engage the enemy." From "Prey", page 17, Rules Reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
but what about the golden rule? If a card contradict a rule in the rules book the card win?

ah nevermind, i guess the "bearer only" was only to choose the target of the prey. It doenst mean it cant be changed after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prey and Bearer are restrictions to enemy actions. Nowhere it says it's applying any kind of restrictions to the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.