Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the UK we mostly use cars with manual transmissions, but automatics are getting more common.

I have driven both manual and automatic, but I much prefer switching gears my self with the clutch and gear stick.

So far I have noticed that most users on the forum are from the US which, if TV is accurate,mostly use automatics.

What do you have and what do you prefer?

I have a little red Manual Corsa which is a lot of fun to drive. I also have access to my grandparents car which is an automatic Peugeot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer manual too, i like the freedom of changing up or down when i decide.
Apparently in the US a manual gear shift is a great theft deterrent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Phennah
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm a biker so manual I suppose. My wife drives a manual Vectra and my father-in-law drove an automatic Subaru. Of the two he's managed to grind his way through two transmissions in as many years and she's still one the same one she from when the car was built nine years ago.

So, in summary, manual wins as automatics break and are expensive.*

*Your experience may vary. If symptoms persist, consult your mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
I much prefer manual too, i like the freedom of changing up or down when i decide.
Apparently in the US a manual gear shift is a great theft deterrent

I'd not heard that, but it makes sense. If most people can't drive stick getting away infirst gear isn't the best.

I do like being able to drop a gear when i need to, or just skip gears after accelerating up to 70mph on the motorway.

I do remember the first time i ever drove an automatic. I came up to the junction,dipped the clutch,and came to a sudden and painful stop... Left foot breaking isn't great, especially when slamming on!

El_Phen wrote:
Personally, I'm a biker so manual I suppose. My wife drives a manual Vectra and my father-in-law drove an automatic Subaru. Of the two he's managed to grind his way through two transmissions in as many years and she's still one the same one she from when the car was built nine years ago.

So, in summary, manual wins as automatics break and are expensive.*

*Your experience may vary. If symptoms persist, consult your mechanic.

Vectras can run forever, and they aren't a bad drive either. Nice on long journeys. The only thing i don't like is their indicators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Phennah
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
... The only thing i don't like is their indicators.

?Por que? Seem functionally indicate-y to me. And of more use than those on a BMW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned how to drive a standard shift on the way to Mardi Gras. We stopped at a gas station and they told me it was my turn to drive. After realizing that I didn't know how to drive the car, my friend gave me a two minute lesson and said "Eh... It's mostly highways anyway" and off we went.

I did pretty well. Certainly better than the guy who fell asleep at the wheel on the return trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Phen wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:
... The only thing i don't like is their indicators.

?Por que? Seem functionally indicate-y to me. And of more use than those on a BMW.

I m yet to see a BMWs indicators work!
They may not be the same on your wifes car, but on my OH's mothers car they aren't the standard ones I'm used to. They are more like lane changers.

Thunkd wrote:
I learned how to drive a standard shift on the way to Mardi Gras. We stopped at a gas station and they told me it was my turn to drive. After realizing that I didn't know how to drive the car, my friend gave me a two minute lesson and said "Eh... It's mostly highways anyway" and off we went.

I did pretty well. Certainly better than the guy who fell asleep at the wheel on the return trip.

That is pretty impressive, the pressure must have helped.
I remember my first lesson, it was like operating a space shuttle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an automatic. I'm lazy and prefer to have things done for me. I don't know how to drive a manual (I don't know how to chip an axhead out of a flint rock either and consider the two skills roughly equivalent in necessity), but I figure I know enough that if I was ever in some kind of emergency situation where I had to drive one I could make it go, although the car would probably not like it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
I have an automatic. I'm lazy and prefer to have things done for me. I don't know how to drive a manual (I don't know how to chip an axhead out of a flint rock either and consider the two skills roughly equivalent in necessity), but I figure I know enough that if I was ever in some kind of emergency situation where I had to drive one I could make it go, although the car would probably not like it very much.

Even the most experienced of manual drivers have the car moan at them for not driving 100% correctly every once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
The lady in my life can only drive automatics so my last three cars have been automatics and I would never go back. Driving with less attention needed for purely mechanical functions leaves more for reading the road and allows you to keep both hands on the wheel more of the time.

My current car is a Prius and a hybrid essentially has to be an automatic. The petrolheads of Top Gear dislike automatics (except, perhaps, if they are flappy-stick semi-auto) and hate the Prius … they are wrong on both counts. The big problem with being out of practice with a manual is that, if I want to hire a van or truck, automatic versions of either are like hens teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:

Providing the motor is not underpowered (and only the cheapest ones are nowadays) a simple get-you-home technique is to stick to third gear (you'll need some clutch control for starting) - most can start in that and get up to national speed limit still in that gear … initial acceleration is terrible but you can live with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Manual. My wife has an automatic and my 15 y.o. twins share an automatic (inherited from my mother-in-law).

I am in the process of teaching my son to drive my manual. One possible benefit will be that when he borrows my car a) he won't be as tempted to text and b) it will be very unlikely that a friend of his will "borrow" it for some reason.

My daughter has no interest in learning at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Automatic! Automatic!

I purchased my first car with a manual transmission because (a) I thought I was going to be Gilles Villeneuve, (b) it's more power, don't'cha'know, and (c) it would be fun. And, it was for the first day or so. God, do I hate manual transmission in traffic. First, neutral, first, neutral, first neutral, first neutral. Plus, in Montreal we have a stop sign every 30 metres. I think it's a Canadian law or something.

Nothing like the smooth ride of a mid-sized or full-sized car with a smooth automatic transmission. If one buys a car with a fair amount of passing power, you don't notice whatever small amount of power consumed by the automatic transmission. I think that's sort of a red herring, in my opinion.

I'll never buy a manual transmission again. What for? I see it like some people who swear by their manual typewriter. Yeah, OK, I'll stick with my word processor-printer combo.

My two cents, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Manual all the way. The only time I regret that is in start and stop traffic, but that's minor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My car is a manual. And the 3rd gear synchromesh is worn out out (it's a 1991), so I have to double clutch it when shifting into third. But I still prefer it; my wife's care is a manual, and it so frustrating to drive it and not be able to put the car into the gear that I want it to be in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
God, do I hate manual transmission in traffic. First, neutral, first, neutral, first neutral, first neutral. Plus, in Montreal we have a stop sign every 30 metres. I think it's a Canadian law or something.

This. This this this.

I can drive stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Automatic. I can drive a manual but why bother? So I can get to the stop light 50 feet ahead faster? I work in the city and the stop and go traffic would kill my bad leg. Plus only a sports car is worth having as a manual and I need something more practical than that. If i really wanted to my automatic transmission has manual mode but I have never used it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Automatic. I can drive a manual but why bother? So I can get to the stop light 50 feet ahead faster? I work in the city and the stop and go traffic would kill my bad leg. Plus only a sports car is worth having as a manual and I need something more practical than that. If i really wanted to my automatic transmission has manual mode but I have never used it.

Modern sports cars off the line are actually faster in automatic. The computers shift more quickly at revs than people can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never learned to drive a manual transmission and have no desire to do so. Why make a job harder than it needs to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
If I had my druthers I'd prefer a manual. But they are few and far between over here. Plus, it's no longer a chore to find an automatic transmission mechanic. Was a time mechanics wouldn't touch one. Install a new one was the only option, although that is still the only option at non-specialty shops.

In recent years I buy a few cars each year, and you can bet if I'm not familiar with a certain model or year of car that I research transmission reliability on that car. Automatic transmission technology is far from perfected.... Chrysler... I'm looking at you.

I have a stick in a pickup we use to haul garbage and doubles as a spare car if needed. A stick also works much better than an automatic for towing and hauling big loads.

For city driving automatic is the logical choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to have something with manual again. First two cars my wife and I owned had it. Had to teach her when we inherited the Jeep from her parents. She insisted on it when we bought the Elantra. Only reason we have an automatic now is that manual wasn't an option on the vehicle we wanted. Salesguy on the test drive tried telling us that the paddle shifter was just like driving manual. My wife rolled her eyes and gave him an earful.

The first car I remember my Dad driving was an old powder blue Ford Falcon with three on the tree. I would kill for a few days behind the wheel of that thing nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
All my cars have been auto. I had a friend teach me how to drive manual several years ago for the purpose of traveling to Europe. I rented a car in Germany and I managed to avoid killing anyone or burning out the clutch during my stay, so I consider it a success. If I had to drive a manual again today, I'm pretty sure I could do it. I don't claim to be the best at it.

I have entertained the thought of buying a manual car, but I think it would be really annoying for my commute, since I'm in stop-and-go traffic almost every day. Maybe if I had the money to buy a sweet car solely for joyriding.

Anyhow, electric cars have no need for a transmission of any kind. So this entire conversation will become antiquated at some point in the not-too-distant future. For someone learning how to drive today in the United States, I would view learning how to drive stick as making about as much sense as learning how to program a computer using punch cards. You could do it, but the ratio of utility to effort is rapidly diminishing with each passing year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
We own an automatic, but I learned to drive on a manual so I can do it both ways. Knowing how to drive a manual is much more useful when hiring cars overseas or in an emergency when the only vehicle available is a manual.

Daughter the Elder will be learning to drive soonish and she too will learn to drive on a manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Automatic. I drive very little on the expressway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.