Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Champions of Chaos and Order who have met by chance in the Silver Tower continue their endeavours and face the Trial of Chamon

I’ve wanted to write this session report for a while. This is my run through the Chamon trial with the Knight-Questor (KQ) and Darkoath Chieftan (DC). Important context to be aware of:
*I played both heroes for this session, i.e. solo game.
*I had previously played through the first trial with the same heroes (Knight-Questor gained an amulet fragment and Living Fortress). The stormcast tank was the clear winner in the previous trial.
*I was not exclusively focused on either roleplaying (acting as separate characters) nor powergaming (calculating best choices).
*I took loose notes while playing. I tried this to help me keep track of status/story effects; not so much to detail every roll.

The heroes roll into the first chamber and mop up adversaries with ease. Rules of the first chamber trigger a special respite demonstrating one of the game’s mini-games. It was an interesting interlude, but perhaps presented too early in the trial to be a break from the dungeon crawl. Outcome of the special respite was inconsequential. So apart from some storytelling, it was mostly “meh.”

Slicey-dicey into the second chamber and I trigger an unexpected event (can’t have two respites in a row). Event roll is a trap that ends up stunning the lesser champion, aka Darkoath Chieftan. I suppose I could have left that one last Brimstone Horror alone, but I wanted him dead. Perhaps the chaos of the tower is having an effect on me.

Third chamber reveals grots. Most of them get ace’d but the last remaining one takes advantage of the stuns on the DC. Sidenote: I was playing stuns wrong and hadn’t taken them off at the end of his turn - was waiting for the end of the round. That little grot ended up bring the DC to 1 wound away from a grievous wounding. On the next turn it is an easy mop-up and with the respite every hero is healed up to full strength.

Fourth chamber provides weak resistance and rather than cheeseball or face and unexpected event, I push the DC forward to explore the next chamber with his last move and find… the final chamber.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So this chamber is filled with Karaic Acolytes and they're ready to fight.

Definitely an unexpected turn. All the adversaries get their turn to wail on the DC as the KQ is neither nor in view. A very close call for him with several save rolls making the difference between life and death.

Th KQ comes up the DC’s rescue. On the adversary phase the behavior role suits the heroes best and seems interestingly thematic: “fall back, run away from the stormcast eternal, but wait, we’re not outnumbered. Errr, so let’s stand our ground and fight”.Only one shot gets through and hits the KQ for double-damage.

On the next turn the destiny dice trigger an unexpected event that offers the heroes a choice that in their current predicament is unwise. So with the option to ignore it altogether, I unanimously agree to pass on the event. I push the luck of DC and have him bound forward only to whiff away with his broadsword. In payment for such bad rolls he gets grievously wounded in the adversary phase.

Last man standing; and again another unexpected event from the destiny dice that I can and do opt to ignore. The KQ has leveled and shows that he’s the superstar by mopping up the remaining bad guys.

Funny in the wrapup that the DC still gets the fragment - he was rune-marked player in the turn that the KQ finished the trial. Seemed like a very short trial. At this point in my campaign, I am very high on the KQ but not so enamoured with the DC. While I thought about retiring him and passing the fragment to a new hero, I resolved myself to run one more trial with him.

The knight slipped a metal boot under the chieftan's inert body and roughly rolled the heavy slab of meat over. By some twist of fate the savage has the Chamon fragment smashed up against his chest. With a snort of derision the knight kneels down to tend to the wounds of the lesser warrior. It seems a cruel joke to be linked to this unfortunate mortal.

Acknowledgements: I feel I need to give props to some people in the community who inspired me to purchase and play this game. First up
robert oren
United States
grand island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Robert Oren’s livecast of assembly got me over my concerns about assembling all these little spikey bits into a game (I’ve never owned a game like this).
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Outlaw’s consummate forum contributions were also supportive of my decision to splurge on WHQ:ST (his review would come later).
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DriveThru Review’s video review ultimately cemented my final choice: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/99646/warhammer-quest-silver...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the shout out! And I've got to agree, Mr Eddy's video was (as always) excellent (although my copy of Silver Tower was preordered so it didn't sway my decision either way).

As for the session report... Yeah. From my own experiences as well, I'm beginning to think the darkoath chieftain isn't really cut out for life in the Silver Tower. Good luck keeping him alive next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. The next session with chieftain and questor has already been played. I just need to post it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.