6 Posts

Oceanos» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unused crystals from a previous round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
This isn't completely clear in the rulebook, but if you played a crystal in a previous round as your last card, can you play a base to do a 1-> 2 upgrade in the next round?

E.g.:

Crystal; base (upgraded); animal; animal; crystal
Base...

I'd assumed no and played that way the rest of the game, but I'm not sure that I'm right or wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
This isn't completely clear in the rulebook, but if you played a crystal in a previous round as your last card, can you play a base to do a 1-> 2 upgrade in the next round?

E.g.:

Base...

I'd assumed no and played that way the rest of the game, but I'm not sure that I'm right or wrong.

I'd say most definitely yes! The picture on p8 (upper right) of the rulebook shows a crystal on the first card and a base on the third card. Since no fuel tokens are visible this can only mean that the crystal was placed in the first round and the base in the third.

The only requirement to do a 1->2 upgrade is having an unused crystal to the left (e.g. from any previous round). A 2->3 upgrade would need a green and a yellow crystal (unused, too) anywhere left from your base. The round or better say the rounds you placed them don't matter at all.

At least that's how we played it and it made perfect sense to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
SirWillibald wrote:
she2 wrote:

E.g.:

Base...

I'd say most definitely yes! The picture on p8 (upper right) of the rulebook shows a crystal on the first card and a base on the third card. Since no fuel tokens are visible this can only mean that the crystal was placed in the first round and the base in the third.

The only requirement to do a 1->2 upgrade is having an unused crystal to the left (e.g. from any previous round). A 2->3 upgrade would need a green and a yellow crystal (unused, too) anywhere left from your base. The round or better say the rounds you placed them don't matter at all.

At least that's how we played it and it made perfect sense to us.

That's not what I meant. I understand that if you play a base in a later turn (not round) after a turn in which you played at least one crystal, then you can upgrade. The cards on page 8 are clearly all from a single ROUND. I don't understand why you're interpreting the picture the way you are. They have no connection to the other diagram on the top of page 8 on the left.

So I'm still confused.`

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, my bad, mistook round for turn...

Now I see what you mean and yes, you're right that you're case is not specifically adressed in the rules. But I would play it the same way you described and NOT allow to use the crystal.

After all, why would a crystal for a potential 1->2 upgrade remain unused, if it's on the last card in the round? You would use it and the base from your player aid to upgrade one last time before scoring, right?

Therefore only the question remains, if an unspent crystal from the end of round 1 can be used with a (different colored) crystal from the beginning of round two to do a 2->3 ugprade.

Hmm... I'd still say no, the round from the first crystal has ended after all. But that's not official. And maybe I misunderstood you again, it's quite late in germany...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
Media & Public Relations at IELLO France
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any base (including the "free" one at the end of each round, pictured on the player aid) resets the crystal count for the next one.
So no, you can't use crystals from a round in a another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
Any base (including the "free" one at the end of each round, pictured on the player aid) resets the crystal count for the next one.
So no, you can't use crystals from a round in a another.

The main thing OP seems to be missing is the fact that the end of the Round, by itself, is a base.

So the only occasion where the crystal before end-round is wasted is when there's only one (color of) crystal and the player already has all parts at level 2 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.