Support:

J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 5: Israel

Since I only had one assault battalion in transit past the front lines, I decided to take a more conservative approach by taking on one mission. I wanted my pilots to rest up and conserve resources before the enemy made any big pushes. The battalion that broke through the lines was a mechanized battalion with some AAA, a couple of tanks, and lot of infantry and APC's. I figured this should be a relatively easy mission.

I called in Shadow and Genius, since they were well rested. Shadow is decent at close range and is pretty evasive. Genius has performed really well and was developing nicely. They got the low down that morning as we looked over the satellite maps. I informed them that there was more enemy air cover in the area, so bring a sidewinder in case you meet some enemy choppers. We loaded out some hellfires, LAU-61's, and mavericks (for the two tanks), and I sent them on their way with two scouts.

As they approached the target zone, we found out about some more enemy support in the area, but it turned out it was a storage facility. No worries. I was more worried about the helicopters and AAA right now, and I wanted this battalion destroyed to make the enemy think twice about breaking past the front lines again. Shadow and Genius came in from the north center area, and the plan was to weave through the canyon on low approach going southeast, northeast, and south, then pop up over the ridge and hit the chopper to the southeast and the AAA in the south.

Shadow took out the APC with his LAU and evaded it's fire. The infantry put some stress on Genius, but he took out with LAU rockets. They proceed in sync as plan, and popped around the corner. The storage facility was missed and harrassed Genius as he hovered over the area. I had him push on through while Shadow blew past the facility to join him and draw its fire. It wasn't necessary, but I wanted Genius to not take any more flak.

They both came over the ridge. Genius dropped an Mk 20 on the targets and shot his sidewinder into the chopper. They went down fairly easy. Shadow put two hellfires into the AAA over the ridge, to keep Genius safe.

Things were going smoothly until Genius was approaching the cluster of targets in the northwest. Shadow was still at high altitude and a SAM showed up in the western section of the target zone. Somehow our scouts missed that our it rolled into the area after they left. Shadow was able to evade some of the attacks and got a little stressed and a hit on his controls, before he could eliminate it from long range. Genius got over the AAA in time to drop his Mk 20 again and eliminated the problem. Unfortunately, he took some damage to his cannons and structure on the way out.

At least all required targets were a destroyed, so this battalion wouldn't be bothering us. I hated that we took on so much damage for what should have been an easy mission, but "dem's the breaks". Our pilots had to dump some more ordinance on the flight home to evade some SAM attacks as well. More wasted ammo is never good, but I'd rather have my men home safe then a aircraft full of ammo. The day ended fairly well, with some more battalions in retreat. I had to get some of the structure repaired on the Genius's Harrier, if I didn't want it to crash next time around. I however decided to let the controls damage and cannon damage stick around a little longer to conserve on resources. With the enemy beaten back, I'm tempted to sit out the next day and do more repairs. Our pilots are looking well rested though, so I have confidence tomorrow may go better... here's hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Things get hectic when SAMs are involved... Especially Helos! Good work otherwise. And always remember: No plan survives contact with the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.