Subject: RPGs in prison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The details behind journalist Barrett Brown's incarceration would take us to RSP land, so that's not my topic. But his latest article describes playing D&D in prison, and Brown's time designing a game on Watergate based on Steve Jackson's GURP.

Link: I am fully capable of entertaining myself in prison for decades if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Shouldn't this be in the Gaming In Prison forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Amazing story, in all respects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Shouldn't this be in the Gaming In Prison forum?
RPG forums.

But I think a sentence of decades playing GURPS is a bit harsh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disappointed, thought this would be about rocket propelled grenades in prison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
The details behind journalist Barrett Brown's incarceration would take us to RSP land, so that's not my topic. But his latest article describes playing D&D in prison, and Brown's time designing a game on Watergate based on Steve Jackson's GURP.

Link: I am fully capable of entertaining myself in prison for decades if need be.

This guy must have been hanging out with guys who don't have a clue. You can buy all the roleplaying books you need from Noble Knight Games and have them shipped to the prison and Noble Knight will even take books of stamps as payment. Then you get one of your buddies in Unicore to make dice for you and with paper and laminate you can make a battle grid with one inch squares and then make one inch cardboard squares and have an artist make your characters and enemies and your good to go! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesl59 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

This guy must have been hanging out with guys who don't have a clue. You can buy all the roleplaying books you need from Noble Knight Games and have them shipped to the prison and Noble Knight will even take books of stamps as payment. Then you get one of your buddies in Unicore to make dice for you and with paper and laminate you can make a battle grid with one inch squares and then make one inch cardboard squares and have an artist make your characters and enemies and your good to go! cool

That's good of Noble Knight. But the author notes, in some prisons RPG materials are NOT allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Get your buddies to drop it off by drone in the courtyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jamesl59 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

That's good of Noble Knight. But the author notes, in some prisons RPG materials are NOT allowed.

It's an issue in state prison and a state to state issue not federal prison unless things have changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My story isn't nearly as fascinating as the author's, but I can attest to the presence of D&D in prison. There were several different campaigns going on at once among various inmates and they showed great creativity in designing campaigns, making minis, and getting into their characters.

It was a nice break from what was on offer from the recreation room. They had what you might expect: chess and checkers and a smattering of "standard" board games like Monopoly, Battleship, and Risk, which normally were missing dice. Cards games were very popular (all kinds of poker). I introduced many people to the wonders of contract bridge and even was able to institute some bridge tournaments.

What I am most proud of is having sets of rules mailed in and creating from scratch our own copies of Carcassonne, Catan, Tigris & Euphrates, Manoeuvre, Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack, and my favorite, Twilight Struggle. The boards and pieces were all made from construction paper and the cards and whatnot were text-only pieces of paper, but it was great to introduce lots of folks to really good games. (It also helped pass quite a bit of time.)

The most impressive thing I saw was someone who had already been in for quite a while (and had a long long time to go) - He had probably thousands of Magic: The Gatheringcards that he had hand-made. He ran tournaments and was almost always getting his Magic on - until I stole him to be my bridge partner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Steve Jackson

Now there's irony.

From the article: "As it happens, I’d actually learned about the prevalence of tabletop games among inmates a few months before my own incarceration, in the days after the FBI first raided both my apartment and my mother’s home in March 2012 and seized laptops and papers without yet making an arrest."

Raid on Steve Jackson Games: "On March 1, 1990, the offices of Steve Jackson Games, in Austin, Texas, were raided by the U.S. Secret Service as part of a nationwide investigation of data piracy. The initial news stories simply reported that the Secret Service had raided a suspected ring of hackers. Gradually, the true story emerged. ... The only computers taken were those with GURPS Cyberpunk files; other systems were left in place. In their diligent search for evidence, the agents also cut off locks, forced open footlockers, tore up dozens of boxes in the warehouse, and bent two of the office letter openers attempting to pick the lock on a file cabinet. ... In the course of that visit, it became clear that the investigating agents considered GURPS Cyberpunk to be "a handbook for computer crime.""

http://www.sjgames.com/SS/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Amazing story. I am glad that I will never have to play RPGs prison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Amazing story. I am glad that I will never have to play RPGs prison.

Not with that attitude you won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.