Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bad_deals [+] [View All]
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know this guy or have a sale go through with him in the last month or so?

michael huntington
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools

Seems to be a pretty reputable seller with a large marketplace and a feedback rating of 700+

But on September, 11th I purchased the Deluxe Version of Battle for Germany with custom counters, from him here in the marketplace, and not only have I still not received the game, but he has ignored every one of my many attempts to get in touch with him, both here and through his PayPal email.

He seems to check in on here sporadically, but simply refuses to let me know what's going on.

This is a first for me and I'm a little unsure how to proceed, was thinking maybe a member of the community here, knows him and could implore him to get in touch with me.

I'm also a little worried that this is the absolute worst way for me to be handling this. If so I apologize and will have a moderator delete this thread and hopefully help me figure out what my next move should be.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you paid through Paypal, can't you use their channels for refund? It's called buyer protection or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Send a geekmail to
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact this dude and tell him your story:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb

And if you paid with Paypal, put it on dispute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, gentleman. I will holler at Octavian.

I tried getting refunded through Paypal before posting here, but it appears that trying to save him the seller fee has backfired in this instance and left me unprotected.

We're sorry, but this transaction cannot be disputed because it is not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the recipient directly.

The thing is I really don't feel like he is intending to rip me off for fifty-somthin' bucks. Seems like he's been successfully selling wargames on here for years.

Really just wish he'd get in touch to let me know what's what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Medlin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to some feedback the dude moved from NV around August of this year. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Worth continuing to contact him politely and getting Octavian involved to assist. I ALWAYS pay via PayPal Goods & Services instead of Send Money toa Friend.

I bought Starcraft from a guy who had basically trashed his copy and then proceeded to blame the mail for his shitty care of the pieces which were inside a pristine box. I'm still working up the courage to do all the repairs necessary to bring it back to full glory...I had zero recourse.

I now pay an extra 3% - 4% for every purchase I make through here to a) cover the fee for the seller so they make what they want and b) to encourage folks to be just a little kinder when shipping. To date, it's worked very well and I've had a good experience. It's nice to know, however, that I can follow-up with formal recourse if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LtUrban wrote:
If you paid through Paypal, can't you use their channels for refund? It's called buyer protection or something like that.

It will probably depend on the option chosen for paying. If you use the "free" send money to friends/family option, then I don't think you have any protection. If you use the pay for goods option, then you should have this protection.

Sometimes sellers request that you send money through the friends/family option so they don't have to pay a fee to PayPal. This is why you should never do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEVER AGREE TO THAT!!!

Seriously, it's BS that sellers even ask for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
NEVER AGREE TO THAT!!!

Seriously, it's BS that sellers even ask for that.

No, no, personally I have never been asked to do that from a seller, and as someone who also sells the occasional game here, I would never ask a buyer not to protect themselves.

This is completely my own screw-up. I just tend to be a bit too trusting and sometimes have to learn these realities the hard way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
designer
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I tried getting refunded through Paypal before posting here, but it appears that trying to save him the seller fee has backfired in this instance and left me unprotected.

I had s similar experience with this seller. I stupidly also sent my money "to family and friends." The experience cured me of that mistake.

My circumstances were slightly different and involved a game that arrived damaged. Luckily, I was eventually able to make an insurance claim myself to USPS as the recipient, and got my money back that way.

I wish you luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callme DESDINOVA
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to purchase almost the exact same item from this seller (along with three others) back in May. I never received a reply. I tried to contact the seller through GeekMail and may have also tried email. The marketplace cancelled the order automatically after a week without a reply. I tried to contact him again to see if this was just a bad time for him. I still got no reply. Not long after, the items I was interested in were removed from the market.

Unfortunately, the market did not allow me to leave any feedback. I guess that is because no money changed hands.

Thank you for reminding me to avoid this seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard1914 wrote:
I tried to purchase almost the exact same item from this seller (along with three others) back in May. I never received a reply. I tried to contact the seller through GeekMail and may have also tried email. The marketplace cancelled the order automatically after a week without a reply. I tried to contact him again to see if this was just a bad time for him. I still got no reply. Not long after, the items I was interested in were removed from the market.

Unfortunately, the market did not allow me to leave any feedback. I guess that is because no money changed hands.

Thank you for reminding me to avoid this seller.

So strange, the only real difference here is that he did accept my order as well as confirm that he had been paid. The game still hits here marked Unshipped:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/account/purchases?y...

After a couple weeks of no replies at all, I went back into his marketplace and ordered a copy of Blitzkrieg 1940 thinking maybe that would jar him into action or, at minimum, create some kind of dialogue. But this time, like with you, he never even bothered to confirm the sale at all and that order auto-cancelled after a week.

There have been times in the last few weeks where he has gone many days without logging on here, so I started to think maybe life had gotten serious on him and he was dealing with whatever. I then messaged him to let him know I was fine with being patient, to just please let me know that I hadn't been completely forgotten. Nothing.

The first bad experience I've had in nearly 5 years of buying games on here, and from a guy with an impressive list of satisfied customers. I just don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, his profile indicates he last logged in a mere 6 days ago, so he would have definitely seen any gmails sent to him. Like others said, let Octavian know and he will take it up. Hope warhead2 gets the message, it would be a shame if he allows his up-till-now good reputation be ruined by lack of communication on a transaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Well, his profile indicates he last logged in a mere 6 days ago, so he would have definitely seen any gmails sent to him. Like others said, let Octavian know and he will take it up. Hope warhead2 gets the message, it would be a shame if he allows his up-till-now good reputation be ruined by lack of communication on a transaction.

Yup. I messaged Octavian earlier this evening and will report back here with any findings. Thanks for taking an interest and giving me a place to vent, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your Paypal account is linked to a credit card, file a dispute with them.

Most banks also now have some sort of fraud protection services. So, if your checking account is tied into your Paypal account, you may have that option.

I NEVER pay as a friend or family member for just this possibility. Even the most reliable of sellers could have something come up in real life, so it's just insurance for the transaction.

If a seller balks about the service fee Paypal levies on purchase transactions, then they need to raise the prices of their wares to account for that ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Krasner
United States
Sandy
Oregon
flag msg tools
I have had nothing but good experiences with the seller. He has always been accommodating and very pleasant to deal with. I believe he had a personal upheaval in his personal life not too long ago, so my inclination would be to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has been active here for a long time.................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rensark wrote:
I have had nothing but good experiences with the seller. He has always been accommodating and very pleasant to deal with. I believe he had a personal upheaval in his personal life not too long ago, so my inclination would be to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has been active here for a long time.................

Same here. Like Bill said. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmbmbmb
rensark wrote:

I can't remember all the games I bought from him, always excellent. The punched ones were in perfect conditions, with writing on papers inside each ziplock of counters: "Japanese fleet, 240 ctrs, complete"... (all personally checked one by one).
I'm talking about Pacific War (VG), Operation Typhoon (SPI), Kursk (SPI), a mint copy of War in the Pacific (DG). He always included extras as articles or so.
That's how he made his reputation, doing good things. He acquired 4 copies of the same game and create three complete copies from them, as an example.

I still have pending some deal with him. Always has been a professional seller here, ebay, amazon... I know he's been living some issues and remaking his life.

I still trust him. Be patient and polite. Hope all ends well.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rensark wrote:

I agree with you but it is annoying when someone going through something personal has the time to get on here and check out games or whatever, but can't get back with someone about something like this. It doesn't take that long to send a couple sentences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
I agree with you but it is annoying when someone going through something personal has the time to get on here and check out games or whatever, but can't get back with someone about something like this. It doesn't take that long to send a couple sentences.

It may not take that long to send a few sentences, but what if when one logs on, one sees they have do eight or ten such things? And they've logged on only briefly to do something else? Often when life is overwhelming, well, you're overwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
rensark wrote:

I could see if someone was grieving the loss of a relative, receiving treatment for a disease, or other high priority life item, that BGG would be really, really low on the priority list.

Perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it could be that BGG is his home page and if, like me, he never logs out, every time he goes on the net it would take him there first and register that he logged in for the day.

While I agree it can be vexing to be in your situation, be patient and polite as long as you can before taking the gloves off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
yatescory wrote:
rensark wrote:

I could see if someone was grieving the loss of a relative, receiving treatment for a disease, or other high priority life item, that BGG would be really, really low on the priority list.

Perspective.

If this was a case of the guy not responding during the last week, leeway might be warranted--or if the guy failed to confirm the initial purchase. But it's been over a month and the guy has taken money for the sale. Regardless of everything else, I don't think it's too much to ask for at least some communication about what the holdup is. The fact that he's logging on shows he should at least have the time to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears we have a happy ending.

Today I received the coveted, Order Shipped email with tracking number, as well as this brief explanation:

on the way finally. I misplaced it then I couldn't find my article collection. I still need to send you the Campaign magazine article "Opening Moves"...when I find it

Not sure who rattled his cage. I never did hear back from Octavian or anyone claiming they could get in touch with him. Maybe it's pure coincidence that he decided to finally ship it today.. but I kinda doubt it.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with those of you who feel that when life gets crazy it can become difficult to take on and see certain tasks through, and that the importance or even the thought of some game in a cardboard box can shrink right down to non-significance for awhile.

But also feel that when you maintain a marketplace, with 200+ of those games up for sale to the public, and can find the time to process an order with a customer and receive payment, the rules do change a bit and certain obligations kick in.

A one-line message explaining that he needed to track down the game would have been all I required to keep me calm and content for months.

I hate that it had to come to a thread like this one. It isn't my style to call a man's reputation into question in a public forum. This is the only online-community that I feel myself to a part of at all, and strive for all of my interactions here to be backed with that level of respect and optimism.

I'm sure the game will show up in the next few days and I will update the heading here to reflect that the issue has been promptly resolved.

Thanks for taking an interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Waldon

Charleston
South Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He has a striking resemblance to Prefect Quintus from The Gladiator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.