Hide
5 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » Rules

Subject: *Spoilers* Haunt 52 Issues *Spoilers* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Tuttle
msg tools
Just got done playing haunt 52 ("Prism") for the first time, and I'm having a hard time seeing how the heroes can win this one without a whole bunch of luck.

Quick summary of my understanding of the traitor setup:

1 - Roll to determine which mathematical sequence of numbered obstacles will be safe.

2 - Scatter the obstacle tokens throughout the house in any order.

3 - Choose one of the numbers in the safe sequence to be the "exit room" which the heroes must find.

Based on the fact that the heroes are not told if they find the exit room, and the fact that the hero rules give no indication as to what sort of puzzle might be afoot, here's the only way the heroes can win:

1 - Explore the house to find safe rooms.

2 - Independently realize that the number on the obstacle token in each safe room is significant. Write them down.

3 - Find enough safe rooms (and thus enough numbers) to realize that the numbers form a pattern (e.g. 3, 6, 9, etc.).

4 - Assume that the exit room must be one of the rooms that fits that pattern.

5 - Have each hero move to one of the rooms in the sequence.

6 - Wait for the experiment to end. Hope you got lucky and one of the heroes is in the exit room. This is sketchy at best, because the number sequences contain anywhere from 5 to 9 numbers, versus somewhere between 2 and 5 heroes (assuming they all survived...)

The heroes lost our play through because we assumed that the safe rooms would all form a connected "route" as implied by the Survivor's Guide ("The architects of this murder machine must have created a safe route for themselves...")

We did not for one second consider the possibility that the numbers on the safe room obstacle tokens mattered in any way. Does that mean we're just too dumb for this haunt?

Can someone educate us as to what else we might be missing?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
msg tools
Yeah, my group just played through this one and had the same exact issue. There is so little guidance for the heroes that it comes down to blind luck, even assuming they figure out the sequence and the safe rooms. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be some hints given by the fact that the exit room can't be moved, while the other rooms in the sequence do move, but even for the traitor, the guidance on how to move the rooms (and what happens to the rest of the house when you do so) was pretty unclear.

I really liked the concept, of having a puzzle sequence for them to figure out - but the final step of 'guess which number the traitor chose' kinda undercut everything else going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorothy S
Canada
flag msg tools
Same issue here. I would recommend that survivors need to make a knowledge roll to figure out which room is the exit. Or have some sort indicator that lets them know which room the exit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dufficy
msg tools
mb
We played this one this weekend. I was the one who noticed that the safe rooms all had an obstacle # that was a multiple of 4. So we went on a search for those rooms. We thought that you needed to find all of them in order to find a pathway out, not just that you had to guess which one was correct. I agree that the survivor instructions give you the impression that you are looking for and creating a pathway to the exit, not just to find the correct room. We found the correct room but didn't know you had to remain in it, so no one was in the room when they started to shift and we just kept wandering until we lost.

Also, our house was HUGE because the haunt showed up really late in the game, if it was smaller we might have had an easier time with it.

This was the only expansion haunt we've done so far, hopefully the others are a little more clear in the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carey

Overland Park
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just finished this 5 minutes ago. There really needs to be some additional clue to help the heroes find out what is going on. Unless this experiment was based upon testing the dumb luck of people unlucky enough to be in a haunted house I have no clue what this experiment was trying to find out. I know the story shouldn't be taken literally, but having some way to actually solve the problem in some form would be nice. I understand the game is all about randomness, but.... this was randomness given physical form lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.