Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game takes up a lot of table space!

Are there any creative ways to reduce the table space needed to play the game without changing the rules?

The map tiles alone can span the entire table quickly.

The default character sheets are almost useless with all the extra things to keep track of. We have even hit level 2 with our characters and we already have trouble keep track of money and XP. Also cards for everything take up a lot of space as well but it nice to have that reference, although some items bought in town don't have cards which is kind of annoying.

I have seen slider templates for XP and money that might help, but also looking for other ideas to track stats, items, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an ipad, invest in the Card Warden app. It handles our Threat decks, Loot, Scavenge and Map cards. That frees up a lot of table space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
What? Huh? You folks play this game using just one table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
If you store your cards in a standard long card box, you can just leave them in the box, with labeled dividers, then you don't need piles of cards. Poker chips help with XP and/or money (mini poker chips are even better). Also, the character sheets that are available on BGG are super helpful, especially if you laminate them with a dry erase marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use a paper and pencil to track xp and money. Not great, but it works. I also made a custom card tray that holds all the cards and fits in the box - just lift it out and the card decks are ready to go. That way I don't have to lay out all the different decks.

Lastly is the issue you cited initially - the board itself. I usually start removing tiles from the board once I've gotten 2-3 tiles beyond. I've implemented a home brew rule or two that makes it a bit more likely that backtracking might occur, so if there's a junction, I'll try to leave that until I've explored all the branches. Otherwise, if I'm more than about 2-3 tiles in, I start removing the tiles that are back toward the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I absolutely refuse to use anything less than as many physical pieces as possible. If I could utterly surround myself with 3-D replicas of every single card, tile, item, and concept, I would - table space be damned. I will buy whole buildings if I need to. The Glory of Brimstone must not be bound.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Character sheets, saves a lot of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a character sheet for tracking hero information. There are lots of options in the Files section here.

Poker chips are popular for tracking XP during missions. We have play money (fake Canadian bills from a dollar store) that we use for money. Pencil & paper also work for both of these.

Use card holders (even just basic business card holders) to hold the cards; they take up much less space than just putting decks on the table.

For the map, like others, we dismantle as we go if we know we won't be back-tracking (ie only one exit). Among the extra tokens are pairs of A/B/C tokens; these can be used to 'break' the map and re-orient sections of it, with pairs of tokens marking the connection points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use the new ITable. It's about 8' x 4', and you can run multiple instances of the card warden app, in addition to the mini-warden, tile-warden, chit-warden, and sheet-warden. The paperwhite version is great since it makes it look like a real game board. Plus the Itable can display in 3D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stand-up Card boxes are nifty. And they look nice. My only issue is that they provide zero space for discard piles. Placing discarded cards upside down in the back is an ... OK solution, but I find it clunky.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
Stand-up Card boxes are nifty. And they look nice. My only issue is that they provide zero space for discard piles. Placing discarded cards upside down in the back is an ... OK solution, but I find it clunky.

- Jee

I do one mixed discard pile. Cards get separated at the end of each adventure (or, sometimes, after several adventures if we play a couple back-to-back) and then shuffled back into their respective decks. Saves table space and I know exactly which decks need to be shuffled. It's only an extra minute or two of sorting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:

- Jee

I see no reason for not putting a discarded card at the back of the deck unless you know the deck is going to run out during that particular gaming session which seems unlikely.

A discard pile would mean almost double the amount of space for cards since you would need a separate pile for each deck.

A positive for the card holder is that it's so easy to flip the deck and put the card at the back as opposed to have to lift the deck off of a table and putting a card underneath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is a creative way to optimize your card space.
Bumyong's foam-core card holder

Takes a bit of time, but well worth it for the convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Table Space, oh no my friend we are beyond tables...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Frontier Town missions are very kind on space. Five (well.. four real missions and one silly mission) out of six need very, very few of the cards from the core set other than artifacts, gear and the loot deck. Combine that with character sheets and a battlefoam bag and you're pretty much good to go. Frontier Town is my go-to solution when playing at a table more suited for cards than a dungeon crawler. (And I like the town a lot).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Here is my current storage solution:

I keep the map tiles in the grand foyer, the mine map and encounter cards in the sun room. The otherworld cards are stored in the master bedroom; frontier town and enemy expansion cards are stored in various guest rooms. The Threat cards all fit comfortably in the billards room, along with the miniatures from the two core sets. Expansion miniatures are stored in the ballroom along with all remaining cards. I haven't found a space large enough to sort and store all the tokens, but I'm thinking of ordering one of these:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
I absolutely refuse to use anything less than as many physical pieces as possible. If I could utterly surround myself with 3-D replicas of every single card, tile, item, and concept, I would - table space be damned. I will buy whole buildings if I need to. The Glory of Brimstone must not be bound.

- Jee

Haha. I agree with this. I like to have one game that is just a total mess of cards, chits, and crap on the table.

That game used to be Arkham Horror, then it was Kingdom Death Monster, and now it's SoB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
If you have an ipad, invest in the Card Warden app. It handles our Threat decks, Loot, Scavenge and Map cards. That frees up a lot of table space.

Do you know if the data could be imported and exported? It would be great to have the interested members of the community maintain that. Seems like a ton of work for an individual.

P.S.

Have I asked you this before? I don't recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:

- Jee

I see no reason for not putting a discarded card at the back of the deck unless you know the deck is going to run out during that particular gaming session which seems unlikely.

A discard pile would mean almost double the amount of space for cards since you would need a separate pile for each deck.

A positive for the card holder is that it's so easy to flip the deck and put the card at the back as opposed to have to lift the deck off of a table and putting a card underneath.

Well, if you flip the deck over you might see what's on the bottom. In decks of 20 cards that's a big piece of info you shouldn't have. That's easy to avoid, tho. But that isn't my main beef.

I want easy access to discard piles before I make decisions. I want to be able to calculate my chances of hitting a certain tile or getting a certain card. If there ever exist items that let you pull things from discard piles, it's nice to have them handy. It isn't, like, a big deal or anything but it's one more Thing That Looks Messy Because I'm Running Out of Room. There's only so many of those I can simultaneously abide before getting fatigued. It's a beautiful game and having to cut corners on the production value or force its components to behave like siblings who have to sleep 4-to-a-room just feels ... wrong. Like eating a porterhouse with plastic ware; I'm not going to NOT eat this meal, but I'm going to spend all my free time trying to think of ways to acquire actual silverware.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Inspector Jee wrote:
Wetworks wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:

- Jee

Well, if you flip the deck over you might see what's on the bottom. In decks of 20 cards that's a big piece of info you shouldn't have. That's easy to avoid, tho. But that isn't my main beef.

I want easy access to discard piles before I make decisions. I want to be able to calculate my chances of hitting a certain tile or getting a certain card. If there ever exist items that let you pull things from discard piles, it's nice to have them handy. It isn't, like, a big deal or anything but it's one more Thing That Looks Messy Because I'm Running Out of Room. There's only so many of those I can simultaneously abide before getting fatigued. It's a beautiful game and having to cut corners on the production value or force its components to behave like siblings who have to sleep 4-to-a-room just feels ... wrong. Like eating a porterhouse with plastic ware; I'm not going to NOT eat this meal, but I'm going to spend all my free time trying to think of ways to acquire actual silverware.

- Jee

I don't know why you're flipping the decks - in these cases where this happens, we just put the card upside down relative to the original stack so you can easily see where the new and old cards divide.

Alternatively, you can use something like this:

We usually have singleton holders like this:

And just put the discards under the tray slot to manage later. Though with SOB, we've out-grown the number of holders we have and have been looking to consolidate like the first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
I use the new ITable. It's about 8' x 4', and you can run multiple instances of the card warden app, in addition to the mini-warden, tile-warden, chit-warden, and sheet-warden. The paperwhite version is great since it makes it look like a real game board. Plus the Itable can display in 3D.

I'm a little concerned now... Nobody laughed at my "joke". Is the ITable a real thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
In various forms, yes.
https://www.google.com/search?q=itable&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Everyone else has mentioned the big ones; here's my compilation with a few additives:
1. Character Sheets.
a. This allows you to consolidate the character cards along with any level upgrades and skills. That removes needing the extra reference and the skills deck.
b. I use it for sidebag tokens, rather than the card. There's one less "deck" needed.
c. If you have good handwriting, you can put all of your gear and personal items on it. This makes a huge difference in table space, especially at higher levels and is another deck you can remove. Additionally, it means you don't have to sort out and reshuffle cards every time you want to play a game with a different party.
2. Replace decks: Swapping Scavenge and Loot for a d12 roll on a Chart isn't a big deal after the 3rd session or so.
3. Replace the Health and Sanity tokens with blue and red d20s. A pack of 10 is $7 on Amazon and it's one less bag of stuff.
4. Remove old map tiles. My group normally keeps only 3-4 room tiles at a time, moving the map and removing tiles it starts going out of the play area. We agreed that if there's a need to backtrack, then we draw a new room, as we obviously got turned around. In 30+ sessions, we've never needed to backtrack.
5. Card holders: When you have 15 decks in play, having them take up 1/3 of the space makes them much easier.
6. Organize to use off-table space: I have all of my map tiles in gallon baggies by Otherworld. Each bag is marked in a particular color and the corresponding Map deck card has the minecart symbol in the upper left colored the same. This makes it quick and easy to identify which bag to grab from.
7. Organize to maximized on-table space: It's not a big deal if all the side bag tokens are in the same bag, even though there's a bunch of them.

It all comes down to how much you need to balance space against fluff against clutter. Make it work for you and enjoy your adventures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found simple home-made wooden card holders to work really well. But no joke, this game takes up a lot of real estate. The tiles are in the file folder on the floor and I have another box of cards. I was going to wait until wave 2 shipped before making a larger wooden version of the foam core card holder but now that they are Kickstarting FoFo I decided to just get the Broken Token insert for the Hobby Lobby artist case. That way, I can adjust the sections as I go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.