$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 108.04

6,709 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Counts as playing two Science Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the card Research has the subject title printed on it. I have played this game about 5 times now and the only purpose I can see for Research is there is one other card that lets you place a counter on said card when you play a card with a science tag or remove a counter to draw a card.

So with Research you could activate that card twice. If you the card had not counters on it you could place a counter and then remove it to draw a card.

Is that truly the only card/mechanic that Research does anything with?

Sorry I can't remember the names of the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some very powerful cards in the Corporate Era deck that require 5 and 7 science tags. So two on one card is certainly helpful towards reaching that prerequisite.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
XShrike wrote:
I believe the card Research has the subject title printed on it. I have played this game about 5 times now and the only purpose I can see for Research is there is one other card that lets you place a counter on said card when you play a card with a science tag or remove a counter to draw a card.

So with Research you could activate that card twice. If you the card had not counters on it you could place a counter and then remove it to draw a card.

Is that truly the only card/mechanic that Research does anything with?

Sorry I can't remember the names of the cards.


First of all, research also has an effect on its own, so it's not entirely useless.
In my experience, its main use in the game though is to provide an easy way to get science symbols for the related award.
Either, you can buy the card early on before somebody funds the scientist award, so you can easily catch up if they do (or not play it if they don't), or you can aggressively use it to fund said award yourself.
(Oh yeah, and it also helps to reach science tag requirements, as Jordan said)

Also, note that there is a card that lets you discard a card, then draw one, whenever you play a science tag.
So in total, there are 2 cards that can trigger on science tags.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a card "Plantation" that requires 2 science tags that lets you play a greenery tile for a 3mC discount.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the responses.

I do understand the importance of a card with two Science Tags. I do not believe it is worthless as I have used it before to play the cards with large Science Tag requirements and won the most Science Tag Award. My primary concern was the text at the bottom of the card that says "Counts as playing two science cards".

I am trying to just make sure I understand the mechanics of "Counts as playing two Science Cards". I do feel like I might be overthinking it but, it has a unique mechanic in this game.

I am not sure if it exists but, if a card gave a discount for playing science tag cards would the discount trigger twice?

Bastinator1 wrote:
Also, note that there is a card that lets you discard a card, then draw one, whenever you play a science tag.
So in total, there are 2 cards that can trigger on science tags.


So there is a second card? The one I tried to describe and the one you described?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:
Also, note that there is a card that lets you discard a card, then draw one, whenever you play a science tag.
So in total, there are 2 cards that can trigger on science tags.


So there is a second card? The one I tried to describe and the one you described?

Yes. I can't remember the name of the card you described, but the one Bastinator mentioned is "Mars University", if memory serves right.

I think the effect of Mars University (whenever you play a science card, you can discard one project card from hand to draw a new one) is the main reason Research has this odd "counts as two cards" wording on it. There's currently no other card that has this AFAIK.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
My primary concern was the text at the bottom of the card that says "Counts as playing two science cards".

I am trying to just make sure I understand the mechanics of "Counts as playing two Science Cards". I do feel like I might be overthinking it but, it has a unique mechanic in this game.

I think this is just a reminder that cards that trigger off of tags look at tags and not cards. Technically Research should say that it counts as two science tags because that is what the other cards are looking for, but in order to make the explanation text helpful instead of redundant they said cards because that is the word that gamers are more familiar with.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if it "counts as playing two cards", does that mean it consumes two actions to play it?

In all seriousness, we had this question come up in our last game. The wording on the card was so odd, we thought they were trying to imply it required two actions to play it (as if playing two science cards).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
So if it "counts as playing two cards", does that mean it consumes two actions to play it?

In all seriousness, we had this question come up in our last game. The wording on the card was so odd, we thought they were trying to imply it required two actions to play it (as if playing two science cards).


Yeah, we found it pretty awkward to say 'play tag', so it became a bit of a mix. The thing to remember is that the text is only explaining the icons, unless there is an asterisk to mark a special rules exception. In this case, we wanted the players to understand 1) that the two science tags were not a printing error, and 2) that it would trigger twice on Mars University and Olympus Conference. Since there is no asterisk, there is no special rule for playing this card.

/Jacob
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.