Magic Realm» Forums » Variants

Subject: Plague Doctor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Google that and take a look at the images. Now THAT would probably make an interesting custom character. Not sure even why I'm posting this, but I was perusing some things, and happened to look at medieval terms for doctors and found that. Didn't think it was real until I saw it referenced back to a couple old books. If I was on the threshold of death, and I saw that think walk in, I would have keeled over immediately from the shock of thinking I had already died and been denied passage through the gates of Heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
WANTED: Looking for someone to make me a papillon microbadge. (Its a dog.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. A) I kinda figured those masks were based in reality, but I had only seen them in fictional settings. B) I had no idea what they were actually for (until now). How interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of Mad magazine's "Spy vs Spy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew clark
United Kingdom
leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just back from a week's holiday in Venice.

The notion of a 'plague Dr' became an actual profession certainly in Venice in the 1600s (removing the dead and identifying those contracting the plague). They also wore a mask, as did most of the citizens from time to time, whether there was a special occasion or not!

I think the mask is also associated with the long-nosed/beak mask popular in Venice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.