Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I use the wineries or cellars action to acquire a winery or cellar for an estate that is already associated with a region that has no more room for renown cubes, do I forfeit the added renown cube or store it on the winery/cellar until a space opens up in the region?

My guess is that the renown cube is completely forfeited in this case, but I did not see such an example explicitly mentioned in the rules. I appreciate clarification of this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
If I use the wineries or cellars action to acquire a winery or cellar for an estate that is already associated with a region that has no more room for renown cubes, do I forfeit the added renown cube or store it on the winery/cellar until a space opens up in the region?

My guess is that the renown cube is completely forfeited in this case, but I did not see such an example explicitly mentioned in the rules. I appreciate clarification of this rule.

Correct.

Under Estates, page 6 of the 2016 Rulebook it says:

If possible, place 1 Region Renown Cube (to be taken from the common supply) in 1 empty Cube Space of the appropriate Region inset. Skip this step if there are no Region Renown Cubes left in the supply or if there are no empty Cube Spaces in the Region inset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
Joakley815 wrote:

Correct.

Under Estates, page 6 of the 2016 Rulebook it says:

If possible, place 1 Region Renown Cube (to be taken from the common supply) in 1 empty Cube Space of the appropriate Region inset. Skip this step if there are no Region Renown Cubes left in the supply or if there are no empty Cube Spaces in the Region inset.

That is the rule for the Vineyards action, but the rules for the Wineries and Cellars action are a little different since it's possible to obtain a winery/cellar that is not yet associated with a region. I do agree with you that this ruling is the most consistent (with respect to the Vineyards action rules) way of handling the particular situation described in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good observation but when purchasing a cellar, for example, it says "place a renown cube if possible" and if all the spaces are full or supply is empty then it isn't possible.

It also says "place the cube on the Cellar itself until the Estate becomes affiliated with a region." This is only done if it's not affiliated. Otherwise you place the renown cube according to the normal rules.

If you decide to affiliate your cellar with a region that already has the maximum renown cubes I'd say you have to forfeit that cube to the common supply since it is "not possible" to place it in the region. There's no rule saying to leave it there until a space becomes available, only to place it as you normally would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:

The rules don't address this case.

I'd play it as you place the renown cube back in the general supply.

My reasoning:

If you had placed a cellar in an estate that was associated with a region and that region was already full of renown, you would just leave the cube.

The main reason to keep the cube on the cellar when you place it in an empty estate is as a reminder to perform the renown process later. So I think it would make sense to treat the process the same even though it isn't explicitly stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
My guess is that the renown cube is completely forfeited in this case.

The rule is the same every time you acquire a cube. Does not matter how. No space to place it on the map? Lose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.