4 Posts

Deep Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: I hope there will a rulebook for GM vs Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seoung woong Sin
South Korea
flag msg tools
I like cooperation but competition either.

I envy who backed The Others 7sins cause I hadn't aware that.

I hope there will a rulebook for GM vs Player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
I would love to see a game master mode. Playing as the game master was one of my favorite things about Mansions of Madness and was disappointed when it was removed for the second edition. Since this games appears to fill the same niche it would be nice to see it show up here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Concord CA, San Francisco bay area, east bay all the way!
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance there seems to be several obvious houserules for a *Deep Madness Master*, 1 vs Many mode. Instead of having the stack of Location cards visible [in which you know the next, top location], have it under the DMMs control. Probably give the DMM a hsnd of 3 Location cards, so they can play Monster placement more intuitively.

If we copy the flavor text from the updates [if it's not collected in the rulebook, of course], then with the DMM keep the Monsters secret, upon placing a Monster for the first time, read the fluff first. Maybe the DMM can determine the Monster Activation at the start of the round. & keeping the Monster Activation order secret would be intense, too!

Then, no doubt, a good DMM will lay into the Investigators with much more ingenious Monster play. That'd go a long way right there to upping the fun, horror, tension.

Make Tile Placement/Layout hidden. Only discovered as the Investigators move to a new area, as any 1 vs Many crawler does. There seems to be lots of stuff that the DMM player could do *intelligently/intuitively* rather than in the co-op/solo randomized way.

Blaster was here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A

Ohio
msg tools
BlasterCA! Good to see you over here! (I've spent a lot of time over in the DM KS comments.)

Seoung, great idea!

I like BlasterCA's ideas for implementing a DMM in this game - particularly hiding the monster cards and choosing the monster activation order.

I like the tile reveal option, but I wonder how the difficulty would scale when it comes to Devoured rooms. If the investigators have only explored a few rooms, then the monsters are going to be on top of them quickly. I can see this being a good strategy for an intense game -- devouring rooms as soon as the investigators are out of them, flooding other rooms, etc...lots of opportunities there!

I imagine that the creative folks here at BGG will create some home-brew DMM guides soon enough. I volunteer as tribute to help with formatting if anyone decides to do this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.