Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a while I've been wondering exactly what is the correct sequence of steps for building a map. Specifically, when do we choose our selected platters or random platters?

Let's say I'm Team White. Do I choose my selected platter, then Black chooses his selected platter, then we start building the map? Or do I choose my selected platter during my first map construction phase, and then Black chooses their selected platter during their first map construction phase?

And do I choose my random platter when I'm ready to place it, or at the start of the phase when I'm going to place it? Let's say I'm Team Black and my opponent has placed just a platter and two keys. Can I draw a random platter, and then decide where to put my selected platter, random platter, and one more key? Or when I choose my random platter do I have to immediately add it to the map before adding any other pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression it was: both teams choose their platters first (because technically white could place black's chosen platter if they wanted to), and the random platter is only chosen once you decide to place the random platter (so you don't get to see it before you decide to place it).

But I don't have the rules in front of me so I could definitely be wrong.

Edit: I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The platters are selected within your turn to place. As per the map-building sample on page 19, Team White chooses their platter at the time they need to place their first three. Team Black does the same when it is time for their first three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way that I have understood the rules is that all of the pieces for the map are selected/chosen before any building takes place. Then White begins with choosing 3 from the pile o'pieces and begins building followed by black selecting 2, etc.

My response was just a little late.... thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I should have studied the examples more. But I still have some questions.

In Step 1 of the Standard Map-Build example, could White draw a random platter first, then choose his chosen platter second, and place them (and one key to connect them)? Or does he have to choose the platter first?

In Step 4 of the Standard Map-Build example, when Black draws Lithopolis at random, could he then decide to connect it to the rest of the map with one of the two new keys he's adding, to the Northwest of Catacombs? Or would he have to place the key there first (before the random draw)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have freedoms within the constraint of the requirements. The requirements are:

1) Team White is first to place three pieces.
2) They must place their chosen platter.
3) All pieces must be locked together and adventure keys accessible.

So your Step 1 scenario above fits. You are not violating any of those constraints.

In the same way, Step 4 is fine. So long as he places three pieces and obeys #2 and #3 above, he may get the random platter and then choose how to place it with two other pieces -- pieces he could wait to choose after seeing the random platter.

Of course, there are certain unspoken constraints that are obvious abuse. One could not ask for a random platter, then refuse to place it during that placement or ever, for example.

Rules writing is extremely challenging because it is very easy to say too much to cover all the bases, exploding your text volume and making your rules less understandable rather than more. That is why the "freedom within constraint" method is used in DoA whenever possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the clear response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another map construction question: when are keys chosen? E.g., we're playing Quad, which uses 4 standard Labyrinths and 2 alternate Labyrinths. The rules say that each player chooses one of the alternate Labyrinths. Does White choose an alternate Labyrinth to be in play, and then Black choose one, before any of the map is built? Or do the choices only get made when the keys are added to the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They are chosen when placed. You do not need to select them ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpitfireIXA wrote:
They are chosen when placed. You do not need to select them ahead of time.

Got it. That's very interesting, it means you might want to wait as long as possible to choose your one Alternate Labyrinth (in Quad) or standard Labyrinth (in Dual).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. In our personal games, the alt labyrinths are often kept toward the end to keep the opponents guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.