Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Can I share my complete translation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Skytte
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi everyone.

I'm new on this site and forum, but I have an important question for all of you.

I'm a recent but big fan of Mice & Mystics. I'm a Dane, living in Denmark, and I really want to introduce some of my friends and family members to the game - people who don't maneuver the English language too well.

So I started translating the Sorrow and Remembrance story book. I'm almost done with a complete translation of the story book in Danish - design and everything, inspired by and in line with the original story book.

I know that other Danish BGGs would love my work to be shared. Do anyone know if it's legal for me to do so? Maybe I'm so lucky that Jerry Hawthorne himself will see and answer this question?!
Earlier, he has expressed an appreciation of the translation of Chapter 1, but would the sharing of a completely translated story book be appreciated as well?

Chapter 1 is available in PDF for free by Plaid Hat Games, but all other chapters haven't been made available, which worries me in regard to share my work with everyone. I'd really love some input on this matter, so that I don't break any copyrights or the like here and there

Thanks in advance !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no lawyer, but I think the answer would be no. (Great effort, though!)

The storybook is deliberately not publicly available, except for chapter 1 which is used as a teaser for people thinking of buying the game.
That's why they would be interested in any translations of that one chapter, so they can maybe get more people interested.

I think that if they were to allow you, then they effectively make the book publicly available. Because if you cross that line (so to speak), you can't really keep people from translating your text back into English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Definitely this would be a violation of Jerry/Plaid Hat's copyrights (or whoever owns them). That said, I know they've published translated versions in a there languages, so it might be something they'd be willing to license. You should contact them at ththe website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ask PHG and/or Jerry.

Since there is no Danish version of M&M at the moment, you won't be stepping on anyone's toes by making your fan-made translation available.
I.e. you won't compete with a local publisher of Danish version, since there is no Danish version at the moment. On the contrary, the number of M&M sales in Denmark should increase as a consequence . This is in the interest of PHG (or their Dane distributor).

@teeka : Why would anyone translate the story book back into english? The damn game comes with an english story book and is widely available . Not mentioning the work involved, and the necessary danish-english fluency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
@teeka : Why would anyone translate the story book back into english? The damn game comes with an english story book and is widely available . Not mentioning the work involved, and the necessary danish-english fluency.

Sorry for not being clear. English is not my first language, and I don't have any legal know-how, so I'm having a little trouble translating my thoughts on the subject. I'll try again.

Right now, the book is copyrighted. AFAIK, I would be breaking that copyright if I were to scan my English book and post it here on BGG for all to download for free. That's different from people actually buying the game, and what I meant by 'publicly available'.

You say that a Danish translation shared freely here on BGG would be ok because there is no Danish version for sale at the moment.
But wouldn't it still mean that PHG forgo their copyright entirely if they were to allow that? In other words, does it matter what language a text is in, or is the content itself copyrighted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask Plaid Hat is the right thing to do. There is a Czech translation of the first campaign (I am making my own translation as I do not like it though). And I would be surprised if there was no other fan localization.
If the one owning the rights gives you the permission, then no lawyers will be involved at all, eventually your translation may even be advertised on their side. You never know.

If I were Plaid Hat and I was worried about my stuff being pirated, I would have given you a permission to publish the flavor texts. This is the critical part, that must be translated for the game to run smoothly, but it is not enough information for making illegal copies of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Skytte
Denmark
flag msg tools
mrakomor wrote:
Ask Plaid Hat is the right thing to do. There is a Czech translation of the first campaign (I am making my own translation as I do not like it though). And I would be surprised if there was no other fan localization.
If the one owning the rights gives you the permission, then no lawyers will be involved at all, eventually your translation may even be advertised on their side. You never know.

If I were Plaid Hat and I was worried about my stuff being pirated, I would have given you a permission to publish the flavor texts. This is the critical part, that must be translated for the game to run smoothly, but it is not enough information for making illegal copies of the game.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Do you know where this Czech version of the first campaign can be found?

I take it that this Czech version has been made publicly available with Plaid Hat's consent (do you know?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Skytte
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for all of your inputs. Really great!

I've now written an e-mail to Plaid Hat, asking for their consent to share it or for them to make it available for others.

Looking forward to hearing from them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
The Czech version is here http://www.zatrolene-hry.cz/spolecenska-hra/mice-and-mystics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Skytte
Denmark
flag msg tools
mrakomor wrote:

Thanks man !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.