Subject: Can you play the scenarios seperately as one-shots? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I know fully well that we don't have much visibility about the next campaign, deluxe box and mythos packs, and also that Arkham Horror is about its stories and athmospheres, but here is my question:

Just like in the LotR LCG, if I wanted to play just one single game with a group of people, would the scenario I picked be almost as much fun as if that scenario was played during its campaign? Another way to put it: how much would you consider the fun provided by the story/campaign aspect of the game, and the fun provided by its mechanics aspect? Can I have a good gaming experience by playing just a part of the campaign without knowing what happened before and what will happen after?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played them in isolation thus far and I rate the game so highly that it's very close to killing LOTR LCG already. While the campaign adds enough depth to make it worthwhile, the narrative of the scenarios is extremely well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules have an entire section dedicated to how to play scenarios as standalones (page 19 of the Rules Reference Guide). It's a little clunky, but it's doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having not got or played the game yet, I can't answer as to the narrative aspects - but at the very least, it's mechanically possible. The Rules Reference Guide has suggestions for how to play an individual "chapter" of the story in a way that (a) allows you to use some of the higher level cards and (b) handles the fact you're supposed to have various decisions and outcomes of earlier chapters logged to affect the next chapter.

So: yes, you can play individual chapters, but someone with experience would have to comment on how enjoyable that would be in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly possible, as has been stated, to play any scenario as a "standalone" and even play just that one scenario repeatedly.

I find that method much less enjoyable, but that's just my personal opinion.

Some people might enjoy treating this game like LotR LCG and rebuilding decks and playing the same scenario repeatedly trying for the best outcome.

For me, I prefer the story driven, thematic nature of the campaign which, in my experience, is where the game really shines. Not having to rebuild my deck all the time, outcomes and events during play carrying forward from scenario to scenario, the developing campaign experience which always seems different and interesting, and slowly building my investigator between games using experience all lead me to prefer the campaign game much more than standalones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
You will have to know what happened before, though you don't have to actually play through it. The rules for playing later scenarios as standalones involve going back and basically declaring how each previous scenario went (depending on how hard you want to make things for yourself).

Of course, the POD standalones are designed to be played either way, as they have no previous scenarios. Curse of the Rougarou comes with its own Chaos bag setup rules if you play it standalone (you can also spend experience to play it as part of a campaign; if you do, it uses the campaign's Chaos bag instead).

I've been toying with some custom setup rules for the core scenarios to replace going through the campaign guide, though it'd have to be on a per-scenario basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
You will have to know what happened before, though you don't have to actually play through it. The rules for playing later scenarios as standalones involve going back and basically declaring how each previous scenario went (depending on how hard you want to make things for yourself).

Of course, the POD standalones are designed to be played either way, as they have no previous scenarios. Curse of the Rougarou comes with its own Chaos bag setup rules if you play it standalone (you can also spend experience to play it as part of a campaign; if you do, it uses the campaign's Chaos bag instead).

I've been toying with some custom setup rules for the core scenarios to replace going through the campaign guide, though it'd have to be on a per-scenario basis.

Could you post the rules how exactly you can integrate Curse of Rougarou into a campaing? I am very curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
rsdockery wrote:

Could you post the rules how exactly you can integrate Curse of Rougarou into a campaing? I am very curious.

Each Investigator spends 1 Experience to play. It is played between any 2 Scenarios, and the stuff you earn is carried over into the usual campaign scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.