Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Prawn King
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Here is my take on this little gem. I bought this to introduce some eurogamer friends to wargaming, not sure if I have done the right thing

Basically it works brilliantly as a cooperative game, especially if you have some imagination, and a basic knowledge of the "PBI" side of war. However it became such an edge of the seat emotional experience, that I felt I may have scared off my friends if they expect real wargames to be even more emotional! Hopefully that's not the case. Most normal wargames focus on history and keep the players at a safe distance from the soft issues and the nitty gritty grunge of unrelenting warfare. "The Grizzled" makes you sit at the bottom of a rain filled trench with 1 to 4 wretched compatriots and try to decide between yourselves how the h--l you are going to get through the next day. Then it somehow makes it enjoyable

"The Grizzled" is purely a card based game, with a dozen or so card board markers in addition. The quality of the components could not be improved upon. There are 59 glossy Trial and Hard Knocks cards, the core elements of the game. There are 6 individual player portrait cards, with a personal lucky charm on each (much needed in the heat of battle). Thick Markers are used to show support to tired and traumatised buddies and let experienced leaders make rallying cries at just the right time.

Basically the object of the game is to reduce the pack of cards until peace is triggered, whilst keeping yourself and your comrades (using the "all for one and one for all" principle) both safe and sane until that time. The game play takes place in no-mans land where "missions" of survival are played out in abstract manner using hand reduction card play. The whistle blows, the rain pours, huge shells land amongst already devastated terrain, men waver, the sergeant rallies and then it's all over. The catches are being able to duck out without "letting the side down" or going mad with it all and screwing up missions through such things as trauma, shell shock, clumsiness and even becoming mute with fear! Most missions take place in either rain or snow or at night, further adding to the strain. As the grind moves unflaggingly on, men next to you gradually sink in health and morale, become phobic of the dreaded officers "over the top" whistle", the fear of gas, or incoming enemy shell fire. Some turn and run, some become frenzied. After a mission you try and offer support to the wretches that seem in the worst shape by taking them coffee, even when you are at rock bottom yourself. Then it's back again to the fire step. The two missions I led both ended in us becoming trapped in no-mans land and then being shelled or gassed and just barely making it back to the trench alive, albeit far nearer the end of our emotional tethers than imaginable!

We lost the two games that we played, it does seem hard without undue conspiracy amongst the players, but what an immersive little game.
And don't worry , I assured my friends that "real" wargames are nothing like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The missions in the At Your Orders expansion are a worthwhile addition to the game if you are enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prawn King
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our four man collaboration, drained and wrought, but battle hardened, eventually won our first game on Sunday 13th November (Memorial Day Sunday in the UK) after seven (yes 7) plays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.