Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Temporary Weapon Level Increase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's been a while since I played this and I dug it over the weekend but it seems I'm a little rusty with the rules.

I have a query regarding a fight with a beast and my weapon level.

I was in possession of the pistol as a starting item and still had two uses left.

I also found a treasure (a whip) which gave me a weapon level of +1.

I then had to fight a beast of fight level 4 (I think it was a puma, but could be wrong - it's difficult to tell when you're being savaged).

I used one shot of my pistol (temporary +3) which was enough to take it out but my question is this...

I had to lower my weapon level by 1 (-1 on the beast card) so do I reduce this from my temporary weapon level of 4 thereby negating the effect of the -1 - seemed wrong and a bit of a cop-out) or do I take it from the weapon level of 1 (because of the whip) on the board tracker?

I wasn't sure and thought I should reduce the weapon level on the tracker to 0, thematically signifying that my whip had broken, even though I still had the card.

Did I play this right?

Alternatively, could I have chosen to not use the whip and simply used the pistol and taken a wound so as not to lose my weapon level of 1?

Any help, greatly appreciated and sorry if my description is a little confusing lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries - this comes up a lot, as it is a bit murky.

Basically, any effects from beasts and such that lower your weapon level lower the permanent level on the board. The temporary level does not matter. As you said, it is like your whip broke in the fight.

If you did not build the whip before the battle, you would have had to take a wound (assuming your permanent weapon level is otherwise 0), but if you have built the whip and increased your permanent level to 1, then you have to lose that level instead of taking the wound. Same thing with the knife and other inventions that raise the permanent level.

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Just realized you found the whip - you did not build it - but the effect is the same. You cannot choose whether to use the whip if it does not grant a temporary weapon upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome - many thanks for such a quick and clear response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
It sounds like you played correctly.

Things that provide temporary weapon level boosts do not change your actual weapon level. Weapon level reductions lower your actual weapon level - a temporary weapon level boost cannot be used to "pay" for a lowered weapon level.

You cannot "not use" your weapon level in order to save it.

And if you had 0 weapon level to start, remember that you would not only take 1 wound for being one short of the difficulty of the beast, but you would take another wound for not being able to lower the weapon level. The Golden Rule of RC is that you always pay by taking wounds if you cannot satisfy a cost the normal way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
It sounds like you played correctly.

Things that provide temporary weapon level boosts do not change your actual weapon level. Weapon level reductions lower your actual weapon level - a temporary weapon level boost cannot be used to "pay" for a lowered weapon level.

You cannot "not use" your weapon level in order to save it.

And if you had 0 weapon level to start, remember that you would not only take 1 wound for being one short of the difficulty of the beast, but you would take another wound for not being able to lower the weapon level. The Golden Rule of RC is that you always pay by taking wounds if you cannot satisfy a cost the normal way.

Thanks Matthew.

I downloaded the new rulebook last night and I have to say it is pretty well done. It clears up a lot of these muddier things pretty well in my view.

My grasp of the RC rules has always been OK but it is such a long time since I played it, I couldn't quite remember.

That'll teach me to not play this blindingly awesome game for so long.

It's hitting my table again this evening so I am fully back in the island groove lol.

Thanks for the replies, guys - appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
I downloaded the new rulebook last night and I have to say it is pretty well done. It clears up a lot of these muddier things pretty well in my view.

This is good to know since I lost half my life working on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Mickey Stirrups wrote:

It was worth it - you did a fine job, sir.

Let's call it a labour of love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Mickey Stirrups wrote:

Well worth it! Fantastic job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.