Subject: Need some spoiler free advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not the best at 4X games and was wondering if their are some general tips that would help me not be last in my upcoming playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to avoid finishing last, have a plan that's going to score you glory, don't just sail around at random.

The most obvious ways to get glory (before any spoilers) are: exploring, raiding, building. Also milestones, but the path to a milestone normally involves exploring, raiding, or building as well; you might have a milestone in mind but unless you're very careful someone might beat you to it, so if you're primarily concerned about being not-last be sure that you're on a path that's scoring glory as you go. Pick one of these three and focus on it. It might not be the same in every game, but to some extent your ship upgrades will influence your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seconding David here.

Our last-place player after game 1 told us her plan for next game: "get more glory".

Also, use advisors, and choose them wisely. Actions without advisors are often much weaker. Some of our players either spent all their money on goods early, or otherwise didn't pick up many advisors (or good ones) and had a rougher time of it.

extremely mild spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's also well and good to take advantage of the event that gives you +1 sail to reach for the further islands, but if your plan is to purchase goods and bring them home, you will be sad if the next event does not help you sail back to your warehouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it better to do one thing or try to do a bit of everything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomeIsTheName wrote:

Well, I made my opinion clear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
DomeIsTheName wrote:

Well, I made my opinion clear!

I missed the key line that said choose one lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, raiding (for example) is going to give you some resources, and you'll probably want to spend those on upgrades/buildings or something, but you won't be sad if you focus on build choices that help you get back to raiding.

Being opportunistic helped me a lot in the first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that doing one thing is a little bit of a mis-phrasing. You should have a focus, sure, but understand that in order to excel in it you should be open and able to do the other things too.

In order to do well at exploring in the first few games you'll need upgrades and advisors. They cost money. Don't shoot yourself in the foot and be out looking for islands with no money in your coffers. Even moreso: make sure you can get home sell goods you find. You have a hold of 2 per ship to start. If you collect any amount of goods, you'll need to get home to sell them. This would be a good time to repair and build for some bonus utility.

In order to go heavy into building, you'll need resources/money/advisors. So maybe you go heavy into trading to support this. Maybe you start raiding, so you are getting money from both sides of the same coin. One of the best things you can do between buildings/upgrades is to raid/tax on the same turn for effectively 11+ gold. Plenty for the next thing you construct.

Let's say you want treasure, well that goes really well with a trade-heavy or a raid-heavy strategy to fund your purchases. the biggest benefit of this is it doesn't tie up your actions to get your glory so you can consistently being making money and getting your glory without spending actions.

You see, specialization is good. But a hybrid approach to make sure you are doing the best you can, is usually better.

Don't forget to work out some sort of work-flow to sustain your economy, create income during the game, or stockpile resources/money before going out to sea.

The only strategy that really provides income and glory at the same time is raiding, but I'll warn you that it isn't especially sustainable due to the inherent risk and the fact you're potentially screwing yourself out of raiding ever again later in the campaign.

Me? I like to buy/sell early on and, depending on the advisors in the first 3 rounds, I either go exploring or start cranking on buildings afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.