6,658 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42% of Goal | left

Support:

Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello game design community! It's been literally years since I've frequented these forums, but inspiration has struck and I miss ya'll. So, in addition to aspiring to rejoin the contest community, I'm going to work a project in the open here (and do what I can to comment on other people's projects). So, what's this thing I'm up to? Well, it's one of my 'grail' designs (a 'small deck' customizable card game)...

Spell Blade Clash (note: I'm notoriously bad at naming things, if you have a better working name I'd love to hear it) is to be designed as a 'micro' card game. By micro I mean the decks are small - 20 cards.

Thematically, you are two fighters, each with a mix of martial and arcane talents, engaged in a grudge match to the death. Will you defeat your opponent by blade and whittle away their vitality? Or, will you overwhelm them with your magic and crush their will to fight?

At this point, I've got a core system (and a little bit of testing under its belt to confirm it does work). Now, I throw it up for your browsing, feedback and so you can try it if it suits you. I plan to keep working on the project in the open, so if this is interesting to you keep an eye on this space (and I'll keep this top post up to date with links)!

SBC Rules v0.3

Starter Decks
There are two starter decks. The pages in the file are named by the character they go with, and character cards are placed beside the weapons they go with. The file is also in order (so the first two pages of cards are for the first character on the character page).

The third set of character and weapon cards on the first page do not yet have a starter deck, but I included them to show some of the design space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been some time! I forgot about the WIP forum, and I think this probably belongs there -- which mod do I need to ask to move this thread over there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A brief overview of a turn, and a sampling of most of the mechanics of the game (and the core mechanic of attack/defend and countering).

What's not shown are weapon cards, spell cards and winning -- you win either when your opponent has taken 20 damage OR if your opponent is required to play or discard a card and cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After some more testing, a small change has been made to the flow -- where previously the attacking player could resolve either effect on a strike card and the defending player could only resolve the advanced effect if they paid the energy cost, now the defending player only resolves the basic effect and the attacking player may resolve the advanced effect if they pay the energy cost.

This small change has done a lot to improve the 'head games' within a match. As now, those powerful advanced action effects are available only to the attacking player - which makes (1) energy more relevant, (2) the game state easier to read, and (3) creates more room for bluffing and double-guessing.

Rules have updated to reflect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another update -- I was exploring "Aura" cards for a bit there, which attached to the target and remained active until their card text required them to be discarded... These ultimately ended up either being uninteresting, and where we could make them interesting the design space was very limited.

We learned that the system really benefits from mechanics that emphasize, not work around, the core action selection mechanic. Not surprising in retrospect.

After a bit of iteration we arrived at something similar to auras, but that works within the system. We've added Exploit and Positioning effects to a few cards. These are ongoing passive abilities that are active as long as the card is the top card of your discard.

I've revised the starter decks to include a few of these cards, and updated the rules. Probably no updates from me on this now until I can get it to a proper play test night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b
msg tools
the description here is somewhat confusing:

1. you flip a card, and yet I see the same card with three different images. HOw is that possible? A card has two sides, why do I see three versions of each card..????

2. You said that when you counter a strike you go on attack. SovAllyana .is on the attack. But then you go right back to saying that Lex is on the attack...

3. Under 4b there is some sort of problem with the names: "She's on defense and she's already countered.." Who are you referring to by "she?" It could be either one the way I read it, very unclear. Also I thought Lex was on defense so is she countering while she is on defense??

It seems interesting but gee I cannot figure this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how that diagram is more confusing than helpful.

We've been simplifying the system over the last couple weeks, so once I get it to table once more to try some of our variations and it settles down again I'll make an example turn that makes sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.