Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you're seeing this post at all, you have an interest in Neue Heimat. And if you have that interest, or even curiosity, and you don't have a copy yet, you need to make your own copy and get off the damn fence.

I made my own copy because it is OOP, and this is just about the easiest game to make your own copy of. My copy came together for under $40, and has so far been used for two amazing sessions of the game. Reading reviews about this game will utterly fail to convey how delightfully nasty and crunchy this game is.

"But I've never made a homemade copy of a game," I hear you say. "That seems like so much work," you insist. "It will look bad and no one will be interested anyway," you know in your core.

That's just so far from true. So here, as best I can, I'm going to attempt to walk you through making your own copy of this sadly OOP game.

Here's what my copy looks like when grabbed out of the closet, and placed on the table...

This classy looking box comfortably holds all of the contents of the game, and cost me simply $5.50 at Michaels here in New York City. I've since checked on two other stores in the city, and this seems to be a ubiquitouts item, easy to find, and perfectly functional for the task.

Open that box, and you'll find it is packed full of Klaus Zoch mad genius auction gaming...

But how do you get to that?

First, the bulk of the components are 1" wooden cubes. The game demands 40 of these cubes (or 39 or 46, if you choose... I'll get to that). Michaels sells these here in NYC for $4.29 for 13. A full game demands 4 of these ($17.16), but you can easily do with 3 if you like ($12.87). Instead, I ordered these from $13.99 for 50 of them.

Next you need 6 smaller cubes for ownership markers. I happened upon a package of 6 0.75" cubes for $3 at Michaels a few months before I finally made my set, so I grabbed those. More recently, I found Michaels had a pack of 24 of these 0.75"cubes for $4.29. The Amazon crew among you can find 25 of them for $6.00. Or, if you want to save money entirely, you could paint just one face of 6 1" cubes you already bought in step one, and that would work equally well. Just make sure you get $46 total cubes to do this.

Next, I found a gaming pawn at Michaels for cheap (I don't recall), but you can also order on Amazon and get 50 for $11.81. Alternatively, you could devise your own way of using a cube (1", perhaps) as your mayor marker. You just need 1.

Finally, you need roof markers, and for that I went to Amazon and got 25 for $11.99. You need 17 of these. If you're trying to keep this an all-Michaels affair, I found 1" round discs at Michaels for 7 for $1.79 (that's 21 for $5.37). The disc roofs would be gameplay-equivalent to the half spheres. That's a fine way to save money.

Once you have these components, you can set about making your set, but you'll need some craft (acrylic) paint. I got 7 colors of craft paint, plus a white and black paint marker. At Michaels, the craft paint was $0.79-$0.99 per tube of paint, and about $4 per paint marker. I got sponge-wdge brushes to paint with, and those worked perfectly. I decided that red should be the color of "roofs and administrative items" like the expansion cubes and the mayor. So I had 6 non-red colors for my cubes. The real thing uses red as one of those, so do as you like. For the expansion cubes, I masked the cubes and painted red where the real cubes are carved out. And the cancel cube is blank. Your Mayor could easily be a solid red cube. I like the colors I used, but if I were to do it again, I'd do more a royal blue than the navy I used. In tungsten (household incandescent) lighting, the navy and black look similar. Never to where it has been a problem, but enough that it looks like it could be.

The blocks themselves need indication of value, 1-6. The real game used dice patterns, and so did I. You could use numbers. They are only on one face. In the real game, the roofs have numbers, so mine does as well. You could use dice patterns. In either case, I used the paint markers to do the numbers and dots, and used white or black depending on the darkness of the cube or dome I was writing on.

You need 60 items of money, and I've been eyeing plastic poker chips on Amazon. In the meantime, I've been using an equal assortment of 15 pieces each of 4 colors of Power Grid money in my set, to no ill effects. I just explain that each bill is $1, no matter what it says. You could even use 60 cards from two identical decks. You just need 60.

The last thing is the board. I designed the board, with spaces for 1" cubes, on 3 6"x6" sheets of card stock. My board is very basic. But it works, and hasn't turned anyone off. I've investigated printing a bandana with the board, but haven't done so. But this is an easy part (and I'll upload my design if someone wants it and I'm convinced that there's no legal reason not to).

The finished components look like this, as I've done them:

I painted the inside of the box in a nice way, but you don't have to. And you could use a box your already have.

By my math, this cost me less than $45, but you could go even cheaper by following some of my notes. A bargain for such a great game. I'd never done something like this before, and this was dead simple. I have no art or painting background at all, and this was still dead simple.

So go forth! This is too easy to do for you to not make a set if you want one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot seem to make the amazon links work in this post. If anyone knows what went wrong (I used the "custom link" functionality, and have tried replacing "geekurl" with "url" in both the open and close tags), I'd appreciate that. I used a lot of links to aid people doing this on their own.

There used to be massive linking errors, but Murr was a true rockstar and fixed them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
I cannot seem to make the amazon links work in this post. If anyone knows what went wrong (I used the "custom link" functionality, and have tried replacing "geekurl" with "url" in both the open and close tags), I'd appreciate that. I used a lot of links to aid people doing this on their own.

I sent you a geekmail with cleaned up links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
Hey, I'm in the final process of making mine!

I've followed similar steps based on others' efforts. I used peel and stick numbers because it's easier and I like the look a little better, and I numbered 2 sides of each block. I actually tried to carve my neighborhood-extension blocks, with mixed results... oh well. I can fix them in the future if I ever get a Dremel.

My negation block is actually a wooden person because Michaels sells blocks in 13-packs and wooden people in 2-packs. So he's my Engineer/Contractor. Still looking for the right size doll hard hat (and a top hat for the mayor of course).

Still working on a board, money, and something to store it all in. I have postcard-sized wood planks from Michaels I plan to spray paint. I think I decided to make paper money from colored paper and just laminate it.

I was going to make an Artscow bag for storage/drawing roofs, just waiting for the next sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. I made a copy several months ago myself and am very glad I did. Will post photos one of these days when I am feeling less lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrockLobster wrote:
Nicely done. I made a copy several months ago myself and am very glad I did. Will post photos one of these days when I am feeling less lazy.

I was the same way. I did this in early July (and scouted at Michaels 2 weeks ago), but yesterday finally found myself "less lazy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I have gathered all the materials, and soon I shall have a copy of Neue Heimat to call my own

FYI for those who want to go REALLY cheap with this, when I was at Dollarama (a Canadian chain), they were selling packs of mini wooden cubes for $1.50... 6 colours of 7 cubes each--exactly enough to make up the houses and owner cubes! They are pretty small, probably a bit over 1cm, but if you want to make a travel-size Neue Heimat, there you go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
msg tools
mb
I've seen a few images from other posters but no files with artwork. Do you or anyone else have tips for maybe printing a cover or the draw bag from where the house levels come out?

Anyone have recommendations on printing out the rules so they look well done and will last a while?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:
I have gathered all the materials, and soon I shall have a copy of Neue Heimat to call my own

FYI for those who want to go REALLY cheap with this, when I was at Dollarama (a Canadian chain), they were selling packs of mini wooden cubes for $1.50... 6 colours of 7 cubes each--exactly enough to make up the houses and owner cubes! They are pretty small, probably a bit over 1cm, but if you want to make a travel-size Neue Heimat, there you go

I worked on this over the week, carefully doing double-coats of paint to the cubes, putting on a matte finish, and cleaned up... only to now realize I FORGOT THE CANCEL CUBE GAAAAAAAH!

Boxer Santaros wrote:
I've seen a few images from other posters but no files with artwork. Do you or anyone else have tips for maybe printing a cover or the draw bag from where the house levels come out?

Anyone have recommendations on printing out the rules so they look well done and will last a while?

I personally don't think a bag is really necessary, as you only need to draw the cubes once Shuffle 'em up in the box, then draw blind and you should be okay. For the instructions, I printed them out two to a page, folded each page in half, and glued the backs of the pages together so it reads like a book with really thick pages. Not the most elegant solution, but it's sturdy. One day I may make a cover for it, but for now, after I paint my forgotten cancel cube, I think I need to stop looking at this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Here's my finished copy! I said in my previous post that I was going to leave it alone, but I still had my paint out, so I also painted a box, added a cover and made a rules booklet (...which apparently doesn't appear in any of my uploaded photos. But it's got a fancy red cover and everything! laugh)

I added symbols on the sides to make it look prettier, and to make it colourblind-friendly meeple

The cubes and rooftops were bought at Michael's, the board is composed of two mini-canvases I bought at Dollarama, and the fences are coffee stirrers. The box is a painted Carcassonne-sized expansion box, and fits everything nicely. Not shown: the money, for which I'm just using an old deck of cards

I'm guessing this cost me about $40CAD, or about $30US, but it took me a long time because I did double-coats of paint, had to mask out the designs on the sides of the cubes, and then added a matte gloss coat on everything so the paint wouldn't chip (higher quality paint likely wouldn't have this problem, but I used cheap dollar store paint so I wasn't sure if it would hold up with use). It was kinda a relaxing thing to do, though.

A closeup of the mayor, because I like him laugh

---------------------------------

Thanks for making this thread Will! I had wanted my own copy of Neue Heimat, but this thread inspired me to finally make one It was my first crafted game, and I'm pleased with how it turned out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is beautiful! Awesome, better than the original!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks so good. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.