Popular Tags: [View All]
Nino Milicic
Slovenia
Ormož
Prlekija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi dear boardgamers,
I do not undersand how its possible that popularity of this game is so limit! World war I games, with easy way to learn, grand scale, very interesting history period, 2-4 player (unique for this scale), very nice components, clever and simple mehanic.... And no one mention this unique and beauty game. Theres no yt reviews, no tutorials, theres only one unboxing and one ugly quick presentation... And thats all!!! Wtf?!?! Marco do did not mention this game, drive t did not mantion this game... Simply no one!!! Last year when triumph and tragendy came out EVERY ONE TALK ABOUT: "how great we have ww2 campaign game with 9years period that learn very fast and rules are simple, but about lamps- just silence! I went to file task on bgg there is no quick rules, no player shits, no home rules and campain... Simply just errata and cards reviews... Dear people whats going on, this game is so great, have so claver mehanism, easy way for learn, milions of strategy and nobody speak about. How is this possible?
Yes I know that price for this components is simply not normal, but I do no belive that this is reason why everyone run away, And I really want to see that someone will turn on lamps In this ghost island!
Nino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
World War 1 is simply not a popular war gaming period as compared to others in the United States where most of these game reviewers reside. It is in keeping with World War 1 not being a popular historical period of interest here in the United States, certainly when compared to Europe. That has of coursed changed with the amount of ww1 games that have come out in recent years, Lamps being one of them. But you just won't get the kind of coverage your hoping for from world war 1 games over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys .... we did send a copy to Marco Arnaudo, so I hope he'll do a review soon. But yes, we did notice also that there are no real official reviews yet for the game. Which is weird, because sales apparently have been fantastic and the general feedback has been very, very positive. Patience, I guess.

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER Bickford
United States
Auburn
flag msg tools
mb
I have been giving it run time.

Here is a link to the replay it is ongoing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still pretty new, I'm just punching/sleeving my copy now.

Craig Besinque has a very established reputation, and GMT a bigger presence, so a "gem" like Lamps (as everyone is saying it is) is going to take a bit longer to get noticed. I did a review on T&T, maybe I'll do this one too once I get it played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nino Milicic
Slovenia
Ormož
Prlekija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Hermann,
This game is simply fantastic, and I wait for something like this for a years. I really love Paths of Glory, but stream version that can be play in 4h and everyone can understand the rules not only wargamers, simply WOW!

I have only few complaints:
1. Price- I paid for my version 70e, what is way to much!!!
2. For this price I expect mounted board and thicker counters! ( minimum I expect is card board)

That is just my opinion-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! Kirk deserves a lot of credit for a very original design. A review would be welcomed, Mike. Thank you.

Nino - I'm really sorry about the price but there's certainly nothing we can do about that. We felt the components were of good quality, but I understand that many gamers like mounted boards. As far as the thickness, I'm not sure you'd get much thicker from anyone else unless you're talking about the laser cut counters. Anyway, I just hope you get your money's worth in gameplay fun! God knows I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on games I never play.

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
ninomili05 wrote:
Hi dear boardgamers,
I do not undersand how its possible that popularity of this game is so limit! World war I games, with easy way to learn, grand scale, very interesting history period, 2-4 player (unique for this scale), very nice components, clever and simple mehanic.... And no one mention this unique and beauty game. Theres no yt reviews, no tutorials, theres only one unboxing and one ugly quick presentation... And thats all!!! Wtf?!?! Marco do did not mention this game, drive t did not mantion this game... Simply no one!!! Last year when triumph and tragendy came out EVERY ONE TALK ABOUT: "how great we have ww2 campaign game with 9years period that learn very fast and rules are simple, but about lamps- just silence! I went to file task on bgg there is no quick rules, no player shits, no home rules and campain... Simply just errata and cards reviews... Dear people whats going on, this game is so great, have so claver mehanism, easy way for learn, milions of strategy and nobody speak about. How is this possible?
Yes I know that price for this components is simply not normal, but I do no belive that this is reason why everyone run away, And I really want to see that someone will turn on lamps In this ghost island!
Nino

Sorry in Southern California we have been too busy playing and enjoying the game to write anything up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fantastic game! Maybe Marco hasn't reviewed it because it isn't GMT? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Lamps at GMT this weekend in Hanford. Great game! Can't wait to get it on the table again. I'm planning another session at SD Historical Game Con in November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
It's a fantastic game! Maybe Marco hasn't reviewed it because it isn't GMT? whistle

Well, Fred Manzo footed the bill for a copy of the game and I paid the postage to get it to Marco, so I certainly hope he reviews it! Thanks for all your support on FB too, Chris.

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:
I played Lamps at GMT this weekend in Hanford. Great game! Can't wait to get it on the table again. I'm planning another session at SD Historical Game Con in November.

Hey David! I'm glad you liked it and it went well at GMT West. I have to get out to that convention one of these days.

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco is of my favorite reviewers so I hope he will make a video about this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
designer
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nino,

Judging from the chatter on CSW I think there is a pretty good crowd playing "Lamps." For each person posting there are many others playing out there.
From my gaming buddies two have bought the game and are playing it. I'm scheduled for a game this weekend.
WW1 just isn't that popular of a subject, and the buzz will always be a bit lower than WWII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nino Milicic
Slovenia
Ormož
Prlekija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But why?? This is part of history, where American roll was so important! This was first USA intervention in Europe, and you have a lot to do with Allies victory in wwI. All nations was so tired- GB, France and Serbia had a lots of moral and equipment problems, and I think that USA was the factor that end this long and brutal war. If I was American, I be pround on that fact. Why you not interesting about this period I can not understand ?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER Bickford
United States
Auburn
flag msg tools
mb
Agreed, Nino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Carlson
msg tools
This looks like a game I'd love. I'd review it on my Youtube channel, The Discriminating Gamer, but unfortunately cannot afford it at present. I love the WWI theme and from what I hear it's a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninomili05 wrote:
But why?? This is part of history, where American roll was so important! This was first USA intervention in Europe, and you have a lot to do with Allies victory in wwI. All nations was so tired- GB, France and Serbia had a lots of moral and equipment problems, and I think that USA was the factor that end this long and brutal war. If I was American, I be pround on that fact. Why you not interesting about this period I can not understand ?!?

Because many older US gamers have fathers, uncles and grandfathers who fought in WWII. WWI was too far back and the US was involved late. WWII involved the whole nation, homefront etc. WWI not nearly as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:

David, if you're bringing a copy, I'd love to try it that weekend. Feel free to message me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.