Battlestations: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: 3D Printed Terrain Items rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've been looking to start a new project involving designing generic terrain pieces, hopefully at 28mm scale. Someone recommended I take a look at Battlestations, primarily at the hanger items. At first glance at the first edition, there seemed to be a lot of them. So I guess this post is mostly a preliminary inquiry to you guys on if this would be something you'd like to see done and if so, I have a few questions to pose.

I've done 20x20mm size tokens before for Imperial Assault and I was wondering if tokens that size would fit the board well? I don't know the exact count on the number or variety of hanger items yet or how to offer them as an ideal set so I'm all ears on how I should approach that. I know there's still some time before the game is out, but I'd like to show my interest and plan ahead where possible.

Terrain structures like compatible base sections is something I could design and 3D print as well, but I'd imagine the demand for that wouldn't be as high as for token replacements since the cost of that many large 3D prints would be prohibitive for most players. Unless there was a way for the different ship rooms to share a good number printed components, it would make mass printing of them difficult. Anyways, I'm starting to ramble now.

I'd like to hear you feedback or thoughts on the matter and find out if this would be a project I should consider tacking onto my to-do list. Also, here's an example of my work for anyone that was interested in seeing what I've done before: http://imgur.com/gallery/mAZKj.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the doors are pretty awesome. the cargo bay tokens should all be 2" X 2" because they have to fit on that section of the cargo bay, as for what the 3D part would look like im not sure yet as we dont have the tokens available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
2” x 2” per token? I didn't know they were that large. Need to see if I can find some reference photos.

Edit: I guess I may have to rephrase hanger token to cargo tokens. I had the impression there are some sort of cargo or items that are placed on the board. On a side note, if the game is keeping with 5x5 tile rooms, designing 3D printed rooms sounds fun if someone hasn't already done it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct Derick. The tokens take up a 2x2 space on the board tile, but each tile is 5"x5" so each item will occupy around a 2"x2" space. However, since there miniatures will need to move around these the size might be slightly smaller.

In BS1E the scale was 15mm in BS2E the scale is 25mm so everything will be larger. Many complete ship modules in BS1E have become Cargo Items in BS2E but we do no know for sure what they all are. A Fighter module and tractor beam modules are know for sure but anything else is a guess at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
I see! I need to keep an eye out for updates. I'm starting to feel like I should consider making tiles if people are interested in that. Looking like I might be able to make parts of it modular enough where I might be able to offer a basic walled tile and the inside parts separate. That way players can just swap out a few items to represent different rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
A rose against a deep blue sky is still a rose.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly be interested in such tilse/decorations.

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
Awesome. I'll start working on some ideas and I'll check in time to time closer to release to see what details I can find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.