Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to why Heroes of the Aturi Cluster (AotAC) threads are not in the General forums. It can get a bit spammy in my notifications, and I don't particularly play with this variant to the game. Sorry, it's been bugging me for a while and I have been trying to just look past it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Which threads, where are they now and where should they be?

Edit: Anyway, you could flag them for "wrong forum" and hope an admin moves them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster threads should be in the Variant forum, because it is a fan-made, non-standard game mode. Just because it is a popular variant doesn't mean it isn't a variant, and it is by no means so generally used or accepted that most players consider it part of the standard game. The General forum should be for things of universal application or interest, not threads pertaining to one fan-made variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster threads should be in the Variant forum, because it is a fan-made, non-standard game mode. Just because it is a popular variant doesn't mean it isn't a variant, and it is by no means so generally used or accepted that most players consider it part of the standard game. The General forum should be for things of universal application or interest, not threads pertaining to one fan-made variant.

Agreed. The forum caption may be a bit misleading ("Post variants to the game rules here.") - I think questions about variants should also be posted there, not just the variant itself. I guess the OP has accidentally inserted the "not" and wonders why the threads are in the General forum?

The variant should perhaps also have its own page as an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured HotAC stuff was pretty mainstream these days. If it goes to Variants, then I'll probably drop off these forums. I don't want to deal with 101 variants for the game mixed in with good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Edit: Anyway, you could flag them for "wrong forum" and hope an admin moves them.

Thanks, will do! I spaced that that was a thing!

heychadwick wrote:
I figured HotAC stuff was pretty mainstream these days. If it goes to Variants, then I'll probably drop off these forums. I don't want to deal with 101 variants for the game mixed in with good stuff.

I don't understand this complaint at all, it's the same as mine except the Variant simply does not belong in the General forums. The part that really confuses me is that there is significantly less non-HOTAC content in Variants than there is in the General forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rraahk wrote:

heychadwick wrote:

I don't understand this complaint at all, it's the same as mine except the Variant simply does not belong in the General forums. The part that really confuses me is that there is significantly less non-HOTAC content in Variants than there is in the General forums.

Well, I see the Variants sub forum filled with all these crazy ideas of playing X-wing. Most of them are not really what I want to read. I don't want to bother sorting through bad threads to read something interesting.

If the General forum is only for 100/6 (100 pts and 6 obstacles) version of X-wing, then it pretty much means there is nothing for me here as I just don't play that way. I figure that if things are mainstream enough, they don't have to go into the Variant closet. If we can't talk about missions and campaigns that are even officially endorsed by FFG in the General forum and can only talk about 100/6 in the General forum, then I don't see much point in coming here. Yes, HotAC is not FFG, but I figure it's mainstream enough that it's OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As long as folks tag the subject (which is what I do when I post items related to HotAC) then you can simply "mark read" if it's something you're not interested in and move on. I don't really care where the topics are...

Some folks will only post here because the bulk of the activity is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait ... what?

I've been on BGG for >5 years. I can appreciate that feeds get filled, and why someone (ie OP) who does not want to read about HotAC may not want the posts to appear in their feeds.

Still, I am confused.

I thought - and I really doubt I am alone in this - that if I "subscribed" to a game, ALL new content posted about that game would go into my feed. Whether that content is a general post, variant post, image, review or any other kind of post.

Is my belief wrong, then? Have I perhaps missed that people can subscribe to a sub-forum and not the whole game? Otherwise, what difference does it make whether the post is to the general or the variant forum?

Edited for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelter wrote:
Wait ... what?

I've been on BGG for >5 years. I can appreciate that feeds get filled, and why someone (ie OP) who does not want to read about HotAC may not want the posts to appear in their feeds.

Still, I am confused.

I thought - and I really doubt I am alone in this - that if I "subscribed" to a game, ALL new content posted about that game would go into my feed. Whether that content is a general post, variant post, image, review or any other kind of post.

Is my belief wrong, then? Have I perhaps missed that people can subscribe to a sub-forum and not the whole game? Otherwise, what difference does it make whether the post is to the general or the variant forum?

Edited for clarity

You did miss the fact you can subscribe to the sub forums. I am only subscribed to the general, news and strategy forums. I do not need to read reviews, as I know I love the game. I have little interest in variants, so I avoid that forum. Session reports are fun to read, but just make me jealous.
So in summary, yes, you can follow specific sub forums. Hence why some people (myself included) would prefer that people post HoTAC in the variants folder, so that I do not have to see it in my subscriptions. But I don't care enough to make a post or flag it. Just wish people would put things where they belong... (passive aggressive rant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
Shelter wrote:
I thought - and I really doubt I am alone in this - that if I "subscribed" to a game, ALL new content posted about that game would go into my feed.

You did miss the fact you can subscribe to the sub forums...
So in summary, yes, you can follow specific subforums.

And to clarify another detail for me (and I expect I am not the only one who did not fully appreciate the distinction here)

If I choose to, I may subscribe to just my preferred sub forums. But (and here's what I would like confirmed) I want to follow EVERYTHING about a game, I just click subscribe at the very top level and will get, well, everything that gets posted. (Which IS what I want here)

Can a fan expansion line HotAC get its own BGG listing? It seems popular enough. If it had its own listing, that would seem to solve the issue here. Those interested in HotAC could follow it there, and everyone else could follow what they like about X-Wing as designed by FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your issue with the fact I used two different versions of "sub forum" because that was due to a weird spell check issue on my phone.
I think HoTAC belongs on the X-wing forums, but it is most definitely a variant. I do not consider to the missions from expansions to be variants, as they are a part of the official product line.
That brings about another debate - what is or is not a variant? For some people anything excluding the 100 point dogfight would be a variant. For others it might just be anything not from FFG (this is my camp).
Either way, it is up to the community to self-police. If you feel it is in the wrong forum, flag it as such. Otherwise, let it be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelter wrote:
SwampMonster wrote:
Shelter wrote:
I thought - and I really doubt I am alone in this - that if I "subscribed" to a game, ALL new content posted about that game would go into my feed.

You did miss the fact you can subscribe to the sub forums...
So in summary, yes, you can follow specific subforums.

And to clarify another detail for me (and I expect I am not the only one who did not fully appreciate the distinction here)

If I choose to, I may subscribe to just my preferred sub forums. But (and here's what I would like confirmed) I want to follow EVERYTHING about a game, I just click subscribe at the very top level and will get, well, everything that gets posted. (Which IS what I want here)

Can a fan expansion line HotAC get its own BGG listing? It seems popular enough. If it had its own listing, that would seem to solve the issue here. Those interested in HotAC could follow it there, and everyone else could follow what they like about X-Wing as designed by FFG.

That is a great question. Myself, I sub to the game and/or family of my favorite games, but I usually go in and Block the subforum(s) that I don't find interesting. The Block option is at the top of each thread and forum and most media types (strangely I have been unable to block files or images of a family/game).

Likewise, subscribing to a game/family only displays the new posts to a forum. For games that I am particularly interested in I will also subscribe to the General forums so I see replies to those threads as well.

The bottom line is that there are few games I want to have constant updates on Variant content for. There is such a saturation of top quality games these days that (for me) I simply don't have the time to explore variants since so many of my beloved collection does not hit the table frequently enough. In the event that I want to find Variant options, I will usually go to the forums manually or unblock them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
Is your issue with the fact I used two different versions of "sub forum" because that was due to a weird spell check issue on my phone.
I think HoTAC belongs on the X-wing forums, but it is most definitely a variant. I do not consider to the missions from expansions to be variants, as they are a part of the official product line.
That brings about another debate - what is or is not a variant? For some people anything excluding the 100 point dogfight would be a variant. For others it might just be anything not from FFG (this is my camp).
Either way, it is up to the community to self-police. If you feel it is in the wrong forum, flag it as such. Otherwise, let it be.

My personal definition of "variant" is content that is not directly developed and produced by the game's publisher and is available through standard distribution channels.

If I have to make my own components or print out custom rules, it's (subjectively) a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You see, I don't want to deal with variants much either. It seems every 1 of 100 people who play the game have some form of variant way to play the game. I don't like all those crazy ways to play X-wing. I don't want to see a bunch of those threads.

I think Heroes of the Aturi Cluster rises above that, though. I don't consider it some crazy variant. I consider it as good as anything FFG can do. I feel it's gotten enough popularity that it has risen above the rank of variant. I don't want HotAC threads to be stuffed into some sub forum that I'll never visit.

These days, it seems everything is focused on 100/6 format of play, which I find boring. I don't do tournaments anymore and focus on just 100/6 is not how I play the game. I don't want to be stuck in some sub forum with all the crazy ways 6 guys in a basement play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
I consider it better than anything FFG has done.

FTFY
FFG supplied the ideal backbone for what is IMO the perfect Star Wars dogfighting tabletop game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
heychadwick wrote:
I consider it better than anything FFG has done.

FTFY
FFG supplied the ideal backbone for what is IMO the perfect Star Wars dogfighting tabletop game.

OK...I'll agree with you on that one. That's why I don't want to have to bother to go into some variant sub-forum basement with 101 crazy ideas that I'll never use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
I think Heroes of the Aturi Cluster rises above that, though. I don't consider it some crazy variant. I consider it as good as anything FFG can do. I feel it's gotten enough popularity that it has risen above the rank of variant. I don't want HotAC threads to be stuffed into some sub forum that I'll never visit.

While Heroes of the Aturi Cluster might be popular and you might think it is better than most of the other posted variants (and I wouldn't disagree), neither of those things mean it is no longer a variant. If you really think it has "risen above" being a simple variant, the answer is to add it to the database as a "fan expansion". That way it gets its own forums, its own image gallery, and all the other stuff that goes along. The rules and print-and-play components certainly have more polish than some of the other fan expansion entries in the database.

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster will always be a variant. It isn't part of the published rules of the game, it isn't supported by FFG, and it isn't a "normal" way of playing this game. Being more popular, more complex, or better than other variants doesn't make it less of one and doesn't mean it belongs in the General forum for X-Wing. However, it seems complete enough, well developed enough, and polished enough to be a fan expansion, which is probably an answer that makes everyone happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster (HotAC)is very popular both here and on Fantasy Flight's forum. It may qualify as a variant but by it's popularity it is also main stream.

Being main stream Jim seems to only be saying that he would prefer it not get lost in the mix of ideas, some crazy some good, in the variant forum.

I would wish, that since HotAC is main stream, it got either its own sub-forum or a forum just for it.

Better yet, bring it out of beta and publish it. Whoo Hoo! Then it gets a forum that some feels it deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, pushing HotAC to the variants sub forum means there is even less for me to come here and read about. I'm not going to sort through crazy variant ideas to read the good stuff. Few bother with the variants sub forum and I don't want to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure there's still more "what should I buy; I'm too fucking lazy to search the forums" spam in general than new variant threads in variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.