$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 99.43

6,315 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Sea Fall teaching rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

5 players getting together this coming Sunday for the Prologue and maybe game 1 of Sea Fall. Any teaching tips, rules explanation ideas, etc. that you would care to pass on to our group plus anybody else playing first 2-3 games would be appreciated.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's definitely worth asking players to watch the How to Play video: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/734

The video is over 30 minutes(!) long, but it's very thorough and well worth saving that time at the table.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, really, really encourage you to have each player watch Rodney's Watch it Played video before you begin. It will save you SO much time.

Also, have the game already set up and ready to go once people get there - you'll save yourself 30 minutes of time, and might be able to do both the Prologue and game 1 in the same night (which I think is a better experience).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiffy Savanah
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I'm also going to be playing Seafall for the first time ever tonight. While I have extensive experience with boardgames, one of the other players is only moderately experienced, and two of the players haven't really played anything more complicated than your standard mass-market boardgames... and I've also never taught a boardgame before. I tried to have people watch the video ahead of time, but those two players were really overwhelmed.

It's going to be a challenge for sure, but we'll see how it goes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!

That is not the experience I would have suggested, but I hope they have a great time!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Neville
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
I suggest you do something prior to setup, but it is a spoiler, so into tags it goes:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When your players pick their leaders, have them put those in their chest and pick a second to use.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wenadin01 wrote:
I suggest you do something prior to setup, but it is a spoiler, so into tags it goes:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When your players pick their leaders, have them put those in their chest and pick a second to use.


I disagree wholeheartedly! That's in there for a reason
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yiffyraptor wrote:
Yeah - I'm also going to be playing Seafall for the first time ever tonight. While I have extensive experience with boardgames, one of the other players is only moderately experienced, and two of the players haven't really played anything more complicated than your standard mass-market boardgames... and I've also never taught a boardgame before. I tried to have people watch the video ahead of time, but those two players were really overwhelmed.

It's going to be a challenge for sure, but we'll see how it goes. :)


Good luck! This is definitely a weighty game to leap into but if they're into the themes and the idea of slowly unlocking new stuff, they should have fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kohli
msg tools
Don't teach rules that aren't needed for the prologue. They're complicated, and can be remembered much better once the basic game loop is hammered home. That means no attacking provinces, and no learning what you'll keep after the game. Once everyone knows how to play, after the prologue, you can add those last pieces.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yiffyraptor wrote:
I tried to have people watch the video ahead of time, but those two players were really overwhelmed.

It's going to be a challenge for sure, but we'll see how it goes.


I have a couple of people with similar skills as the ones you described and when I told them to watch the video, I said, "You are not going to get all the rules (especially when he talks about Emnity") but just do your best to watch the video and get "familiar" with it."

And I think that worked really well. The new players didn't get everything but at least understood movement, the fact that you pick different guilds etc., and it really helped with the explanation.

Like you, I am not the best at explaining rules to people as I want to just get it all out but when I slowed down and just reiterated what Rodney said, they got it much faster then in games past.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
The video is over 30 minutes(!) long, but it's very thorough and well worth saving that time at the table.


Why would you spend 30 minutes watching a video to save 30 minutes at the table? If I have to spend time on one or the other, I'd much rather do it with a group.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because people can do it at their leisure before the group even meets up (I texted the link to my group a week before we played and they watched it when they could) and then when everyone shows up, you are all on the same page and can start up faster.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
Because people can do it at their leisure before the group even meets up (I texted the link to my group a week before we played and they watched it when they could) and then when everyone shows up, you are all on the same page and can start up faster.


If you really prefer to spend 30 minutes on your own "at your leisure", rather than in a group, then why are you playing board games at all? There are plenty of activities (like computer games) that you could do entirely "at your leisure" and not have to be with anyone.

I guess I just find watching a 30 minute video on how to play agonizingly painful. If I really had to learn the rules before showing up (which I don't see a point in), there's always the rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:
The video is over 30 minutes(!) long, but it's very thorough and well worth saving that time at the table.


Why would you spend 30 minutes watching a video to save 30 minutes at the table? If I have to spend time on one or the other, I'd much rather do it with a group.


Time at the table is fundamentally more limited and valuable to us than free-time in general, and we want to spend table-time on things more fun than reading/explaining the rules.

Also, I know the video is thorough, whereas I might forget to explain something at the table until someone's already played out several turns based on a mistaken understanding.

Also, with five players, the explanation, Q&A, etc. might actually take more than 30 minutes. One of our players, for example, said she paused the video frequently and absorb what she'd seen. Doing it in advance allowed people to go at their own pace.

Probably there's more reasons that I'm forgetting.

DaviddesJ wrote:
I guess I just find watching a 30 minute video on how to play agonizingly painful. If I really had to learn the rules before showing up (which I don't see a point in), there's always the rulebook.


It wasn't all that fun for me (I only really watched it myself to see how thorough it was). But I know that some of my players were probably going to learn it better through video than the rulebook. And we were each willing to put in some effort up front to enhance the quality time at the table.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all for your input into helping me prepare my group for Sea Fall.

There seems to be quite a bit of discussion about watching the how to play video. I can tell you that of the 4 other players in our group, one might watch the video. I can also tell you that even if I gave a copy of the rule book to every player, one would read it once, two would glance at it, and one would neither watch the video nor read the rules.

That is why I asked for tips and guidelines because I know it is mostly up to me to teach the game as we play - and I am perfectly ok with that.

So thanks again for your insight and suggestions. I really appreciate how Board Game Geekers rally to support fellow gamers!

" . . .oh hear us when we cry to thee,
For those in peril on the sea."


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In that case, I would focus on hitting the broad overview: structure of a turn, the nature of endeavors, basics of enmity (you give it out when you do hateful things, the people there now are now a little more hateful back).

Then just roll with it and try to let first-time rule slips through if they aren't too ridiculous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In service to the Imperium of Man
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
Wenadin01 wrote:
I suggest you do something prior to setup, but it is a spoiler, so into tags it goes:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When your players pick their leaders, have them put those in their chest and pick a second to use.


I disagree wholeheartedly! That's in there for a reason

I don't tend to make house rules, but this is one I would wholeheartedly recommend. Especially in a full five-player game. Sorry JR.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:


That is why I asked for tips and guidelines because I know it is mostly up to me to teach the game as we play - and I am perfectly ok with that.



There are all kinds of guides online that help teach someone how to explain games to other people like:


https://boardgamemonkeys.wordpress.com/explaining-games-in-3...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/918830/boardtastic-guide-ex...


In a very simplistic approach you explain Theme, winning condition, and then how you go about doing it. I used to start with the "how" instead of the other way around and since doing it the new way, I have drastically improved how I teach it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
jayahre wrote:
Wenadin01 wrote:
I suggest you do something prior to setup, but it is a spoiler, so into tags it goes:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When your players pick their leaders, have them put those in their chest and pick a second to use.


I disagree wholeheartedly! That's in there for a reason

I don't tend to make house rules, but this is one I would wholeheartedly recommend. Especially in a full five-player game. Sorry JR.


Me too. I ran this rule upon starting my campaign. Possibly there is something unlocked later that will make me regret it, but based on the way the rules are written I cannot imagine that being the case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Frank

That was very good reading and very helpful!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
jayahre wrote:
Wenadin01 wrote:
I suggest you do something prior to setup, but it is a spoiler, so into tags it goes:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When your players pick their leaders, have them put those in their chest and pick a second to use.


I disagree wholeheartedly! That's in there for a reason


Now I am curious, why? Spoiler tag if called for...thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.