Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Dice question: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Hansen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Love board games but new to the "hardcore" gaming and some concepts. Random question that popped into my head while seeing the reviews for this game: the rune dice. Why d12s when d4s are sufficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Everyone hates d4's. They're caltrops. Worse than Lego. Not fun or satisfying to roll.

I was very impressed with the decision to make them d12's, though d8's would also have worked for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lealhansen wrote:
Love board games but new to the "hardcore" gaming and some concepts. Random question that popped into my head while seeing the reviews for this game: the rune dice. Why d12s when d4s are sufficient?

D4s roll funny and cause permanent disfigurement when stepped on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
d4s.... the only die that does as much damage in real life as it does in D&D.

(wish I could claim credit but I saw someone else post this on another discussion!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh, to answer the OP more directly, as well as being a health hazard to both eyes and feet alike, they really don't roll well. Don't get me wrong, I use them. But I kinda spin them into the air otherwise they tend to just land flat. Which increases the eye hazard of course...

A d12 however is my favourite die to roll, they are really.... rolly. d20s are fun too, but I get to roll them much more often. And you can step on them without drawing blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad they didn't use d4s as I often find them difficult to read. d12s do have a really nice roll to them too, so perhaps that's why they went that way rather than a d8.

Edit: Wow, beaten so many times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info guys, I love this community wtf is up with all the nice people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lealhansen wrote:
Thanks for the info guys, I love this community wtf is up with all the nice people.

We got ran off from FB and YT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
lealhansen wrote:

Please don't get too accustomed to it. If you stick around here long enough you will find there are plenty of people who are... not so nice. whistle

But for the most part this community is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I felt there was more 'drama' when rolling a D12. It will sound a bit dorky, I guess, but I think there is a small amount of ceremony every time you pick up a dice - hope for a result - and then cast it onto the table (or if you're Rick, the floor) and see where it lands.

When you throw a four-sided, new players have no idea how to read it, and it just kinda lands on the table. I always feel like it was less about chance and more about the angle I threw it at. Which is silly, because that's the case with every dice. But a 12 sided will bounce around before it comes to rest, that half second of tension is crazy fun for me.

This is embarrassing, but years ago I remember we tried to make the 12 sided, but I wanted to make sure none of the sides ever 'touched'. Like - you wouldn't have two red sides ever touching. One of the guys working on it tried it for a couple hours and said that he was pretty sure it was impossible. Then we showed it to one of our gals that worked on managing regional relationships and she solved it in like 10 minutes. We really didn't know what we were doing here, but we knew what we were aiming for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know why, but whenever I read anything about a d4 dice, a word comes to my mind: "dagger"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The true insanity would be if it were a d20... That's certainly taking things a little too far.

Long live the great dodecahedron! Truly, you are the greatest of the Platonic solids!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Wagner
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Also, D12's need more love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt O

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
I don't know why, but whenever I read anything about a d4 dice, a word comes to my mind: "dagger"...

Or magic user HP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I'm glad they didn't use d4s as I often find them difficult to read. d12s do have a really nice roll to them too, so perhaps that's why they went that way rather than a d8.

Edit: Wow, beaten so many times

I don't have any trouble reading d4s, but I game with a lot of people who do. So, d8 or d12 is a much better solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.