$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.8% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Nightfall» Forums » General

Subject: Very Odd Question; Was There Ever a Consolidated Source for Nightfall Lore? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I've created a hobby where I adapt my favorite DB and LCG card games as settings to any one of the tabletop RPG systems I own. I usually choose a system that supports some type of mass battles/combat so that I can employ the cards at some point in gameplay. I'd like to do a sort of action-horror setting adaptation for Nigthfall, but other than individual cards there isn't much background lore given in my Martial Law, Coldest Night or Crimson Siege sets. Being mostly a homebrewer for my RPG settings, I'm well aware I could just create something for Nightfall too, but I do at least want a better idea of what the common base themes and tropes were, so that I end up with something that suits/supports the cards from my sets.

So...I'm wondering if their was ever a single source where the Nightfall background was flushed out a bit more; maybe a fan webpage out their on the Web or a document some fan created? If anyone knows of such a thing, I'd love to hear about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I'm aware of. Would love to read any fan theories on the over-arching story line meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just discovered your card charts David, and I have to say they've very helpful for adapting to a RPG setting. Those are basically nicely organized charts depicting character archetypes, NPC's and the bestiary. So basically what I'm gathering thematically -mostly from the Dark Rages chart which included the Avatars- is a war in a dark setting (post-apocalyptic I'm guessing) fought between 4 faction's consisting of Human Hunters, Ghouls, Lycanthropes and Vampires. As well, it seems Voodoo magic is an aspect and I'm assuming that's the source of the ghouls; or at least the leadership behind their faction.

Anyhow, I quickly browsed through the NF 1.01 rulebook again and noticed 2 pages of intro flavor text, so if any of the other rulebooks have similar, that will be a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
kronovan wrote:
Well I just discovered your card charts David, and I have to say they've very helpful for adapting to a RPG setting. Those are basically nicely organized charts depicting character archetypes, NPC's and the bestiary. So basically what I'm gathering thematically -mostly from the Dark Rages chart which included the Avatars- is a war in a dark setting (post-apocalyptic I'm guessing) fought between 4 faction's consisting of Human Hunters, Ghouls, Lycanthropes and Vampires. As well, it seems Voodoo magic is an aspect and I'm assuming that's the source of the ghouls; or at least the leadership behind their faction.

Anyhow, I quickly browsed through the NF 1.01 rulebook again and noticed 2 pages of intro flavor text, so if any of the other rulebooks have similar, that will be a good start.

I believe each of the rulebooks has a short story in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
I believe each of the rulebooks has a short story in it.

That is correct - usually at both the front and back of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I am wondering about in the story. I don't mean this to be mean spirited about this so please cut me some slack. I do not want to bash this game.

So...

How does the Earth not freeze up into a Winter hell with the sun gone? For that matter, how do plants produce O2?

Is it because the Sun is still up but it's somehow supernaturally dark?

Please keep in mind I have not bought the game. I "am" thinking about it, but this part (for me) needs some kind of explanation.

What say you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
Is it because the Sun is still up but it's somehow supernaturally dark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With that being the case, a future card with a black sun against a star-filled shy would be for some great art.

Just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Big in Japan coming in 2017! Tons of Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was something we just had to handwave a bit. I mean, if you're willing to accept zombies and werewolves and super elite monster hunter units, you can get by with some potatoes still growing up here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you weren't drawing an analogy to the darkened or black sun of various mythologies, are you? I read through all of the stories from the 7 rule books and only found "nightfall" as the term that refers to the darkening of the skies into a persistent night time.

The Black Sun, or darkened sun, mythology is IMO fascinating stuff. Both the Egyptians and Aztecs had a similar concept of the sun traveling the dark underworld at night time; just one had it as the being borne by the benign God Atun while the other had the much less benign Earth goddess carrying it. It's mentioned in Renaissance alchemy too, as the symbol, or symbolic color of the soul after the dissolution or putrefying of the body.

It's also a bit controversial in that some claim the dark solar wheel motif the NAZIs placed on the floor of Wewelsburg Castle in the 1930s, was a depiction of the Black Sun - no official documents from the time referred to it by that name though. It's association as the Black Sun is really only a claim made by fairly recent German esoteric groups; <sigh>...some people just don't realize that kind of stuff belongs as the background fiction in board, card and RPG games.

I don't know, it would be pretty cool if the Nightfall background drew some analogy to the Black Sun mythologies, but I'm guessing that isn't the case - correct?

[Edit] Don't know how I could have possibly forgot it, but Black Sun Vigo is also the name of a of a gang of bounty hunters in the Star Wars Universe. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kronovan wrote:
I don't know, it would be pretty cool if the Nightfall background drew some analogy to the Black Sun mythologies, but I'm guessing that isn't the case - correct?

Y'know, from everything I'm reading in this thread, there certainly seems to be an opportunity here for some enthusiastic person to fill in any gaps in the lore to reference certain mythologies if they wanted to... don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LineOf7s wrote:
kronovan wrote:

Y'know, from everything I'm reading in this thread, there certainly seems to be an opportunity here for some enthusiastic person to fill in any gaps in the lore to reference certain mythologies if they wanted to... don't you think?

Oh I'll definitely be filling in and fluffing up the background enough to make it work for my personal RPG adaptation - that is if I go ahead with a campaign. In terms of giving the background a treatment that would truely do it justice, I'd only consider it if AEG had a common fan or fair use agreement that would allow me to share what I create for free with other fans. I have published writing credits for my work on Interface Zero 2.0, which is a cyberpunk RPG setting set in the near future of 2090, so I like to think I have some idea of what sort of quality and effort is required. Note; I'm not trying to be cocky or toot my horn, just that I've had the displeasure of receiving 2 cease & desist letters over the past 3 years for free to download RPG adapatations I created, so I'm a little cautious about just writing running in with full guns a blazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, let me take any potential pressure off David Gregg (the creator).

Although I apparently thought up the idea of a nourishing black sun (meaning plants can still produce oxygen and semi warm darkness prevails), I Michael W. McFall being of sound mind give this idea to David Gregg to use as he sees fit.

There, David, you don't have to worry about someone trying to sue you or anything stupid like that over this.

I'm now going to put this game on my wish list and do some shopping this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
There, David, you don't have to worry about someone trying to sue you or anything stupid like that over this.

Not that I want to derail the thread too much, but fans of game IPs actually have little recourse under fair use laws for owning copywrite to their ideas and creations. It's more myth than fact they do and the reverse is closer to reality. It's worth keeping in mind that game companies can rarely copywrite or patent their play mechanics -just written content and the artwork- so IMO it's understandable if they want to protect what they can of their IPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.