Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: DOW : crossroad, few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Hello,

I have a few questions about DOW!! Our group really likes it but some things are not really clear for us :

1. For the crisis, once you've put the cards you can't add some later, right?

2. When you are exiled, can you give some food to the colony? Or discard card from the waste pile?

3. Can you trade with the exiled?

4. To exile someone, can you do it at any time or do you have to wait the colony turn?

5. When you draw a new survivor, can you move it at the current turn or do you have to wait the next one? If you can, is it possible to use him?

I'll maybe have other questions later!

Thank you for your help!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gloum wrote:

No, only during your turn.
Gloum wrote:

2. When you are exiled, can you give some food to the colony? Or discard card from the waste pile?

No. Exiled players cannot add food to the colony nor using food from the colony nor adding cards to the waste (used cards are removed from the game) or clean the waste (you need to be at the colony to clean waste but exiled players can't enter in the colony)
Gloum wrote:

Yes you can.
Gloum wrote:

4. To exile someone, can you do it at any time or do you have to wait the colony turn?

It's actually one of your actions. You can't wait the colony as you have to do it during your turn (and only once per round)
Gloum wrote:

5. When you draw a new survivor, can you move it at the current turn or do you have to wait the next one? If you can, is it possible to use him?

As soon as you get a new survivor you can use it even immediately, move it (only once per turn as usual) and use unused dice on it as well. Remember you get the new additional die only at the beginning of the following round though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

During your turn, I understand it that you can play any cards at any time. So if you contribute at the start and then go somewhere and find something else that will help you can potentially add more.

You're no longer part of the colony so you can't go to the colony or help the colony directly like that.

I don't think there is any direct rule for or against this. I would assume no, but I could also see it as a mutually agreeable thing to stop the exile from doing anything too evil.

Anytime any one person calls a vote. if it's not your turn, you can't start the vote to exile someone.

I play it that you can, you do get the action die immediately so we roll it and can use the die.

That's my understanding of those situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Tyvm!

Also, when you don't have the card needed for the crisis, do you have to put a card or you can choose to give nothing?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You do not have to commit a card to the crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gloum wrote:
Tyvm!

Also, when you don't have the card needed for the crisis, do you have to put a card or you can choose to give nothing?

Thank you!

The rules are clear. You are never forced to help with the crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
From the FAQ

5.4.4 Can an exiled player add food tokens to the colony by playing a food card?
Yes.

EDIT: Warning! Potentially incorrect FAQ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
This probably should be in the "Rules" sub-forum.

Gloum wrote:

No one pointed this out-- but there is no "trade" action. You have a "hand off", and a "request", both can be done with the exiled player. Here's the FAQ that will help.

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/dead-of-winter/dow...

I bring this up, b/c you can only give during your turn, you can't swap. So if you give to the Exiled player, you have to wait till his/her turn for them to give you something-- and there's no binding agreement that that will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankGloum

Moved from General to Rules.

This way in the future other users are more likely to find your question and any relevant answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that Exiled players are not necessarily "evil". They are not Betrayers. In fact, if you exile a Betrayer, they no longer have to bring Morale down to 0 in order to win. They could become very important allies in completing the Main Objective.

Also, just to make sure since you were talking about "drawing" new survivors, not "playing" them, I just want to make sure that you know the number one misplayed rule in this game -- you do not have to play a new survivor card when you draw it. You can keep it in your hand and decide whether or not you want to play it on a future turn. You can even give them to other players, and they count as cards in your hand when satisfying objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Warlock00 wrote:
From the FAQ

5.4.4 Can an exiled player add food tokens to the colony by playing a food card?
Yes.

JonnyRotten has contradicted himself here where he also details why an exiled player shouldn't be allowed to add food to the colony.

Even though the FAQ was published after the comment linked above, personally I ignore the FAQ in this particular case (for the reason described in that link above).

After the FAQ was released, JonnyRotten did say he would let Isaac know about the potential mistake with 5.4.4, but I don't think there was ever any "official" response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Fascinating.
Makes perfect sense.

jgilmour wrote:
- Can an exiled player add food tokens to the food supply? No, but they can give the cards to a non-exiled player if requested.

The reason the last ruling has to be that way, is that card played by an exiled player are removed from the game, and if it wasn't this way, the players could just funnel all the food to the exiled player to avoid the waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.