Subject: Conflict Resolution Challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm continuing my game development. First, some history. The game is a major co-op, as in, the characters almost always have to team up to beat an enemy. However, it also has a traitor mechanic that can come into play.

To defeat an enemy, it has a "beat this number" component.

At the beginning, reaching the number was a major dice-fest, with the characters stats expressing the number of dice rolled. The dice were special.

Dice results were: +1, +2, -1, Special Good, and Special Bad. (Special Good counted as +3 and gave some other small bonuses. Special Bad counted as zero unless it was in the same result as Special Good, then it cancelled the Special Good result).

Part of the game has a traitor element, and so using the dice didn't work well in that way (especially when adding the co-op piece) so I moved to cards that use a similar setup as the dice. We used less cards than dice and added a +modifier. At the beginning of each round, players could use resources to purchases cards from the deck.

Currently, you find out the enemy and players opt into the combat or not, donating some of their purchased cards or random cards off the top of the deck.

We're looking at allowing the player to offer their +modifier for a higher resource cost (this hasn't been playtested yet).

Here's the problems I'm having:

1. Dice are more fun. It fits the rest of the game better, but clearly fails when the traitor element comes into play. Flipping over cards isn't as fun as rolling dice.

2. It takes longer than desirable to accumulate the various cards and count them. Having each person roll their dice also took inordinate amounts of time.

Any other combat resolutions that would fit the traitor element and be fun?

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
You could introduce "traitor dice" with a different distribution of results (an extra Special Bad side instead of a +2, perhaps.) Have players keep their dice secret and secretly contribute dice to the pool as they are doing now with cards. However, you would have to figure out a way for players to buy dice without the other players knowing which they bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't looked, this is similar to how Dark Moon works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did think about the BAD dice idea (we think a like... sorry about that ). I fear it would take longer to sort through, not to mention the added expense.

I have played Dark Moon and considered that as well, but I didn't like the player shield.

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.