Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw the Dominion app updated on my iPad. The pricing says $10 will unlock all the expansions, but only through the end of the year. Is this how the pricing will be in 2017?

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a subsequent question: what about for people who have bought (not leased) the expansions? The price to buy them was much higher than the one to rent them, so will the ownership rights be "transfered"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Making Fun has the license until the end of this year (or roughly then if it isn't exactly Dec. 31st 2016).

iT Shuffle is the new company that will be taking over, but don't know when exactly in 2017 that'll be....

https://videogamegeek.com/thread/1562060/new-dominion-online...

https://videogamegeek.com/thread/1561603/new-dominion-online...
BeyondAwesome wrote:
Hey everyone, here is the link to the announcementhttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15162.0

And, here are the first few lines from the announcement:

It's actually happening! Philip (SCSN) and I are building the new version of Dominion Online that will go online on the first of January 2017.

We're really excited we got the contract. It involved us building a demonstration Dominion during the first two months of this year, demonstrating it to Jay (RGG games) and Donald, and now building the actual game.

It's still early to say what exactly you can expect, except we will do our very best to make something all the Dominion fans will love.

* We intend to have different clients for different people. One will look as pretty as we can make it, one will be sober, with minimal images and mostly text. These clients will run on Windows, Mac and Linux, or any other platform that supports running Java. We will also make a client that runs in a web browser. Finally phones and tablets will probably be running a different client. If you play online you can play against any other client.

* We will be selling two different products: Dominion Online and Dominion Offline. In Dominion Offline you can buy expansions, and use them to play random boards, selfmade boards or campaigns against AI. For Dominion Online you will have to buy a monthly subscription. This does not require you to own the expansions offline. Online you can play against other players or against AI.
Exact prices are yet to be determined, but you can expect them to be around $3-$8 per expansion offline (depending on the expansion size) and $3/month online (for all expansions, $2/month for half the expansions). Existing users will be offered a choice: they either get their expansions transferred to 'Dominion Offline', or they get their expansions Online for the period of one year.

Continues in the link I provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Millar
msg tools
The current app only sells access to the end of the year because it will be shutting down as the rights to run the digital version of the game are transferring to a different company.

Prices for the new company not yet set in stone but will be something like $3 per month for online play with all expansions, or you can buy offline access forever for about $3-8 per expansion depending on the size of the expansion.

More info:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15162.0

Edit: Beaten to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
I just saw the Dominion app updated on my iPad. The pricing says $10 will unlock all the expansions, but only through the end of the year. Is this how the pricing will be in 2017?

Thanks for the info!

The current makers of the digital Dominion product are losing the licence to it at the end of this year (when the original 5-year licence expires it is not being renewed with them). As such, and given that the new licencees are using a subscription model for the online game, new customers to the current product are being offered a subscription, including one for the remaining time.

The new licencees, ShuffleIT, will be offering two products - an offline version with a one-off price which is then yours to keep and run, even if they subsequently lose the licence; or an online version which will use a subscription model.

Picon wrote:
On a subsequent question: what about for people who have bought (not leased) the expansions? The price to buy them was much higher than the one to rent them, so will the ownership rights be "transfered"?

I believe that customers who were sold a product "forever" (by the holders of a 5-year licence) will be offered the choice of either the new offline product for free or a year's subscription prepaid for the online product.

As I understand it, this is being paid for by RGG and will cost them more than the small amount of money that they received from the previous licencees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Will current Android users get the same deal? I can buy a subscription to all expansions until the end of the year for 7.99. That isn't "forever" so I'm worried I'll lose them at the end of the year and not get the offer to transfer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
DGenerateKane wrote:
Will current Android users get the same deal? I can buy a subscription to all expansions until the end of the year for 7.99. That isn't "forever" so I'm worried I'll lose them at the end of the year and not get the offer to transfer.

MF changed to a subscription model. I'm sure that will not transfer, though I have no inside information to back that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hall
msg tools
DGenerateKane wrote:

The transfer is for people who bought expansions before the change to a subscription model. What you would be paying for is the right to use the expansions until the end of the year, so it wouldn't matter if the system was changing or not. You'd still only have it until January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
jsh357 wrote:
DGenerateKane wrote:

The transfer is for people who bought expansions before the change to a subscription model. What you would be paying for is the right to use the expansions until the end of the year, so it wouldn't matter if the system was changing or not. You'd still only have it until January.

Gotcha. No point in purchasing then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.