Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to be able to tell my wife that playing games for 24 hours is good for society, but I'm having some trouble forming a logical argument. How do people raise money for these events? Do folks actually sponsor them or pledge money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats Extra Life?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'd love to be able to tell my wife that playing games for 24 hours is good for society, but I'm having some trouble forming a logical argument. How do people raise money for these events? Do folks actually sponsor them or pledge money?

This is mine. I'm terrible at raising money, but my team(My work) is doing pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
?

Pete (dates himself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (dates himself)

I thought you meant you were dating yourself, as in a romantic partner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Do folks actually sponsor them or pledge money?

A local one in my area has gone out and contacted companies for it. I know one guy went the first year and said there were about as many prizes as there were gamers. I know they are getting a rather large stash for this year as well. I finally get to go. I believe year one had 60+ people show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
?

Pete (dates himself)

That was my first thought too, on seeing the thread title. "Well, collect 100 coins and then grab the green mushroom..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (dates himself)

I thought most people do that a few times a day at least?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
I never understood that, either. I get the whole "giving money to charity" thing, and I'm totally on board with selling goods or services for charity, but for the life of me I can't understand where "If you give money to charity I'll play games/run a mile/do whatever I please" comes from. Why would I care what you do? If I want to give money, I'll do it. If I don't, how would you playing games convince me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (dates himself)

I thought most people do that a few times a day at least?

Well....yeah - but we dont normally post about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:
I never understood that, either. I get the whole "giving money to charity" thing, and I'm totally on board with selling goods or services for charity, but for the life of me I can't understand where "If you give money to charity I'll play games/run a mile/do whatever I please" comes from. Why would I care what you do? If I want to give money, I'll do it. If I don't, how would you playing games convince me?

Indeed, it makes very little sense, even less so when the participants enjoy the activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Mosch wrote:

It's a positive motivation, and a social way to get people to donate when they in all likelihood wouldn't otherwise.

When you put effort into an activity and tell people about a charity linked to it they weren't aware of before, whether it's because they're a friend, they think it sounds good to donate every now and then, or just to stop you from badgering them, then it'll result in more money.

Extra Life, Games Done Quick, Humble Bundle, and all manner of other charitable events/sites raise hundreds of thousands of dollars each year for legitimate registered charities, and a large majority of that money would not be donated if it wasn't for people being aware of such events.

Some of us have direct debits linked to donate to charities close to us, some of us donate specifically yearly, but if these events don't happen most people would not donate to these causes and that's sad, especially in a world where the 1% make life hell for everyone else.

darthain wrote:
Indeed, it makes very little sense, even less so when the participants enjoy the activity.

I see this a lot, but never quite understand it. I get that people think 'if they enjoy it, they'll have done it any way' but that's not always the case, and even so, why does it not make sense that people may like to raise the quality of people's lives in some way while doing something fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Soper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its about being part of something bigger. It's kind of silly but when you make an event out of the idea it becomes more legitimate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
See, I understand Humble Bundle - they basically sell games. AGDQ is basically an entertainment service, plus they offer prizes. Why would anyone want to pay money for me to play games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Mosch wrote:
See, I understand Humble Bundle - they basically sell games. AGDQ is basically an entertainment service, plus they offer prizes. Why would anyone want to pay money for me to play games?

Because if you are skilled/charismatic/charming you could be providing them with something to watch while supporting a good cause. People could be paying for the former, latter, or both.

It's why lots of musicians like myself do charity gigs to raise funds for people & charities, people may pay for the entertainment, or pay solely so they can feel good about helping out.

Even if we are doing something we enjoy we are taking time out to raise funds, and that concerted effort definitely raises more money than if we left it to people to donate with no cues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Basically, Extra Life is another version of the Charity Marathon, much like Relay for Life. I decide I want to be an Extra Lifer, and I try to get sponsors (people to donate to support my marathon). But instead of someone sponsoring every mile that I run, or kilometer that I hike, or rope that I skip, they sponsor hours that I game. So, this is geared at the gamers of the world that want to give back in some way.

Some people just donate, and that is great. Some people just join, try to raise $100, and then game for a day, and that is great. Others get involved, and go to events and make others aware of Extra Life, and that is great. Still others get really involved, do giveaways and prizes as a way to raise extra money, and that is great. I do actively campaign for funds, but, I also actively recruit. I would rather sign up 5 new gamers to join Extra Life, than get five donation to my page, with the reasons explained below. But, I do actively try to hit $500 raised each year. I post on my Facebook every so often, or on Twitter, on some of the gaming communities where I am involved, and at local gameshops. I donate to my own page, at times, but, I also donate to my friends' pages. I wear my Extra Life shirts when I go to events and conventions. I even work events and conventions as part of Extra Life, in an effort to raise awareness and increase participation.

My page: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.pa...

Something I wrote up about Extra Life on another site:

Detailed information:

There are many ways to get involved, and many levels at which to get involved. Each one is super important, and we need people at every level.

1. Donate to a friend or group that is participating. Every dollar counts, and goes a long way. Without donations, nothing happens. Since Extra Life's inception in 2008, it has raised $22 Million for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.

2. Become an Extra Lifer. Anyone, anywhere can go to www.extra-life.org, click on the "Join" button, and a few quick answer laters, have a donation page up and running, and ready to go. From there, you can link you Extra Life Profile/Page to existing Social Media for automated/integrated Facebook and Twitter integration, at any level you choose. This is important, because, for 8 years now, Extra Life has routinely averaged $200 raised per 2 Extra Lifers. No matter how many sign up, that average stays the same. So, the more that sign up, the better the charity does each year.

3. Become involved. Not just a participant, not just an Extra Lifer, but something more. The Extra Life community forums are great for this, and are accessible from the www.extra-life.org, and particularly, the Official Extra Life Guilds are a great way to get involved, if your area/city has on yet. The global guild forum is located here: http://community.extra-life.org/foru...a-life-guilds/ These groups work directly with the local area CMN Hosiptal, the Hospital's fundraising/outreach coordinator, the local community, and events with the number one goal of raising awareness and participation in Extra Life. This is where I have been at the last few years, as a guild president (for Kansas City), attending conventions working as an Extra Life volunteer registering and signing up new Extra Lifers, running tournaments and competitions for Extra Lifers, competing in tournaments as an Extra Lifer, and, where it really gets special, interacting with the actual kids. Sitting down with a child who is currently in a CMNH, receiving treatment, and spending time with them.

Every level is important, and, none of it works without all of them. So, again, to everyone, thanks for supporting at any level you can.

If someone has a specific question, feel free to ask, and I will answer what I can. If I don't have the answer, I have made relationships with a lot of the people involved at the national level, and I will gladly get an answer for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OsirisSaline wrote:
Mosch wrote:

Because if you are skilled/charismatic/charming you could be providing them with something to watch while supporting a good cause. People could be paying for the former, latter, or both.

It's why lots of musicians like myself do charity gigs to raise funds for people & charities, people may pay for the entertainment, or pay solely so they can feel good about helping out.

Even if we are doing something we enjoy we are taking time out to raise funds, and that concerted effort definitely raises more money than if we left it to people to donate with no cues.

The difference is playing a gig has a reasonable expectation to be paid, you are doing a job regardless. Playing a game is not doing a job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
The difference is playing a gig has a reasonable expectation to be paid, you are doing a job regardless. Playing a game is not doing a job.

Tell that to people who make a living through Twitch streams, youtube Let's Play-ers and e-sport personalities. (Or Rodney Smith of Watch it Played!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Matchstickman wrote:
darthain wrote:

Tell that to people who make a living through Twitch streams, youtube Let's Play-ers and e-sport personalities. (Or Rodney Smith of Watch it Played!)

Precisely. That's what it amounts to, entertainment in whatever form people feel comfortable paying for are worthwhile paid experiences.

Whether busking in a street, doing street art, playing board games for charity in a rented public space/store, streaming on Twitch, or whatever. Worthwhile performances can come from anywhere as long as you have good personalities & some skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I run an Extra Life team that raises a few thousands of dollars each year. Much of the fundraising takes place in the weeks and months leading up to the gaming marathon. We view the marathon as a reward! It gets the whole team together to celebrate their accomplishment, and make one final push to raise money.

Having everyone together for one spectacle of an event brings out a lot more friends and family than would come to a random game day, and of course we hit them all up for money via charity raffles and such on site. Also, having the whole team together and posting on social media that "today is the big final day" amplifies the message and gets people over the hump, so you start to see the stragglers pledging online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I pledge $100 to my friend every year.

Lot's of people make thousands of dollars for the charity.

It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:

There are thousands of people on Twitch and Youtube who make a good living playing video games for people to watch.

PewDiePie makes millions of dollars a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
D_Davis wrote:
Mosch wrote:

There are thousands of people on Twitch and Youtube who make a good living playing video games for people to watch.

PewDiePie makes millions of dollars a year.

I am very aware of this, but the entertainment value is based on their personality and commentary. Furthermore, their subscribers don't actively pay to watch. I don't think Youtube Red is doing so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:

Same here. I just donate to the charities I want to.

If I gave these selfless gamers money, they'd have to SUFFER for the kids before they get any praise. Like running a mile holding a copy of Caverna over their heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a fun way to raise $$ for local children's hospitals. Don't underrstand how that is a bad thing. My group did it last year , and we will be doing it this year. We do 12 hours 10am-10pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.