Subject: TURNCOAT - Forces allies to swap sides rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack McNamee
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Here's an alien idea that uses the "Hidden Alliances" variant from the upcoming FFG expansion.

----

TURNCOAT |_|
FORCES ALLIES TO SWAP SIDES

You have the power to Turn. As the main player, after alliances are formed but before they are revealed, you may use this power to declare a Swap. If you do, all allies swap sides. Offensive allies become defensive, and defensive allies become offensive.

Your allies gain no ally rewards.

-------

No idea if this alien has been done previously. The idea is that no-one wants to be your ally, but you use the power to trick them into helping you win without giving them anything in return. If the other players think you'll swap, they must ally with the side OPPOSITE to the one they actually want to ally with.

You could use this power without hidden alliances, with extra components: The turncoat just needs to choose "Swap" or "Not" secretly, before alliances are formed, using a token or card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me this will effectively become

PREVENT ALL ALLIES

You have the power of loneliness. When you are a main player, no allies are allowed in the encounter.

-----

Because no one wants to ally with you if they gain nothing. And no one will want to ally with your opponent, because they know you'll just swap them over to your side. You lose nothing by having allies, and you can only be harmed by having allies against you. No one is going to "bluff" by joining you, because there's no benefit to you to swap them to the other side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I think in practice this would typically reduce to "I invite nobody, I swap", which would reduce to nobody ever allying when you're a main player. Which would not be a power. If you don't invite nobody, then your opponent can invite nobody, which again reduces it to nobody allying. Swapping can only happen if both main players agree to let it happen, which they don't have much reason to do since alliances are unlikely to benefit both of them at once, and makes it something of a permission power.

Even aside from that, the problem is that you don't actually have the private information you need to make intelligent swap/not decisions. The reason powers like the Sorcerer work is that you can coordinate your encounter card choice to agree with your swap decision, but your opponent can't. But here, you're not the one who decides or knows the initial alliance decisions, so your choice is no better than random and you can't make any real gains with your power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a Mayfair alien called the Subversive, that could pull one ally over to the other side - but the ally is still entitled to whatever rewards he would get if his (new) side wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.