Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) If you move into a new space lane that can make a connection to an existing system but you choose not to do that, can you change your mind later and connect it, or is it too late?

2) Can space lanes float by themselves, or can a space lane only move when a floating system it is attached to moves? The rules only mention floating systems; never floating space lanes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) sure, establishing/connecting spacelanes is rather unrestricted as long as you dont break any other rule ie dont pick it up to move it into a new position.

2) as long as its not connected to systems on both ends, its floating and can be swung around as needed.
note that you should remove empty spacelanes that are not connected,
there shouldnt be many floating spacelanes around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, both scenarios would involve a ship sitting in an open-ended space lane, which never happened in the one game I have played so far. I don't see it being a common thing, but I wanted to be sure, since it is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, in situation #1, you have to declare that you are stopping in the space lane before your roll it. If you are warping and say you are moving into the new system, roll the lane and don't like the length, you are stuck moving into the new system (assuming it will fit on the map).

Otherwise, everything else is correct. The last 1/4 of the map often involved us doing an impulse move to create a new lane, not liking the length, moving off, discarding the lane, and repeating. All to make some backdoor connection to another homeworld. Heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
japester1 wrote:
Just to be clear, in situation #1, you have to declare that you are stopping in the space lane before your roll it. If you are warping and say you are moving into the new system, roll the lane and don't like the length, you are stuck moving into the new system (assuming it will fit on the map).

I'm not sure this is correct. I can't see anywhere in the rules that say you have to declare the ending point of your warp travel prior to actually placing your ship in a sector as you end your movement. On page 11 of the rules under the heading of Exiting Warp is specifically point out that :

"You may choose to move through fewer Systems or Exit Warp early in a Space Lane. When you come out of Warp in a Space Lane you may stop in any Sector of the Space Lane."

There is no reference to needing to specify your ending point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DrakosDJ wrote:
japester1 wrote:

I'm not sure this is correct. I can't see anywhere in the rules that say you have to declare the ending point of your warp travel prior to actually placing your ship in a sector as you end your movement. On page 11 of the rules under the heading of Exiting Warp is specifically point out that :

"You may choose to move through fewer Systems or Exit Warp early in a Space Lane. When you come out of Warp in a Space Lane you may stop in any Sector of the Space Lane."

There is no reference to needing to specify your ending point.

I think this is true; though it wouldn't make too much sense to end warp movement in an open-ended space lane, considering that if you enter warp again the space lane will just disappear and you'll have to roll a new one, anyway. (assuming you are the only occupant of that lane).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair point. Strictly, it doesn't say that you have to roll the space lane after declaring where you will stop. But it seems intuitive that a warp move has so much freedom (you don't even have to think of a destination until you reach it) that allowing you to roll a lane and then decide seems even more powerful. But it is possible.

I can think of 3 possible interpretations:
1) You have to declare your exact destination in advance, including how many sectors along in the space lane, if you choose to stop there. I nixed this one because you have to see how long the space lane is to know how many sectors you have to choose from.
2) You have to declare whether you will stop in a specific system or in a specific space lane, but you get to roll the new space lane (assuming you are entering a new one) before deciding which sector to stop in. This gives you some flexibility, and allows you to stop in the very first sector, assuming you want to test out the length and maybe re-roll it with an impulse move.
3) You don't have to decide anything until you roll a space lane, at which point you can decide to either stop somewhere along it or continue into a new system (or newly connected system). The only restriction would be that you couldn't back out of that new space lane and stop in the preceding system or take another route entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:

I think this is true; though it wouldn't make too much sense to end warp movement in an open-ended space lane, considering that if you enter warp again the space lane will just disappear and you'll have to roll a new one, anyway. (assuming you are the only occupant of that lane).

True. If you went to warp again, you'd basically be pushed back to the system disc and lose the lane. But there are reasons to warp into a lane like that. One would be to warp into the far end of it, so you could impulse next turn and either make a connection to an existing system or explore a new one. The other, which might be related to the first reason, is to keep another player from connecting to the system you just left. Adding the lane you are on could temporarily max out the lane connections for that world (even though the lane you inhabit is open-ended), or your new lane could physically block the arc where they might try to connect or block another lane they are trying to connect between two nearby systems. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Follow up question: does making connections have to involve using a command?

Let's say I am sitting in an open-ended lane that I could have connected to an existing system but chose not to. Can I change my mind later and decide to make the connection without moving?

I would think the answer would be no, you have to be moving in order to change the map in any way. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'd say movement is required, as you need to move off the lane into the existing system to finalize the connection. But the rulebook isn't necessarily specific. The diagram on pg.14 shows the ship at the far end of the space lane as it makes the connection. And the text does say that you can "connect the two Systems with the new Space Lane and continue your Movement". Which strongly implies that you have to move off the lane onto the planet, but someone could argue it the other way. Requiring the Command is the safest bet.

Best of all? Looking this up finally answered the whole "leaving warp" question I've been chewing on. Pg. 14 also mentions that if the newly rolled lane isn't long enough for the connection you want, and you are traveling at warp, you have the option to stop in the new space lane or continue on to discover a planet. That's conclusive to me. No need to declare ahead of time that you will be stopping short. You can roll the lane length first, then decide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.