16 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Beating emigration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know the game has not been played much, but I played today and figured more people are getting experience under their belts.

As mentioned in the other thread, emigration is a relatively obvious strategy that gives a ton of points (5 workers + 2 silver the first time, a bit more workers and silver other times = 18 points and less food needed). This could conceivably work in solo or multiplayer games as long as someone is not specifically trying to do the same thing.

Are there any other simple strategies that produce this amount of return on investment? For comparison, even the English crown only gives 15 net points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Spaming raiding 1 and 2 worker action feels really strong as Well. Getting early sheep and cattle and upgrading later is also strong. But I reckon playing your occupation Will be the Best. The only thing I feel is weak, is whaling, but I could be wrong.

I also feel like you always need a House to dump orange and red goods the last round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kieritz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Armsved wrote:
The only thing I feel is weak, is whaling, but I could be wrong.

You mean the space where you can get a wood, a spear and a card for one wiking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
As mentioned in the other thread, emigration is a relatively obvious strategy that gives a ton of points (5 workers + 2 silver the first time, a bit more workers and silver other times = 18 points and less food needed).

Emigration is a good way to make points, but it does not help you in developing your income and does not increase the bonuses you get throughout the game. Thus by making easy points in the early game you are neglecting something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Armsved wrote:
The only thing I feel is weak, is whaling, but I could be wrong.

You are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nobbe genannt Kemper
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Frank is spot-on about emigration and whaling.

After a few games we feel that whaling is actually one of the strongest spaces and probably worth fighting over:
Three workers net you a card + tiles worth 17 spaces.
Combo this with an upgrade action and your puzzle is about done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, my last game was Whaling, plus gathering other green tiles, then upgrading them all with a knarr. Once in a while, do an action to upgrade those whale meats. Victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
As mentioned in the other thread, emigration is a relatively obvious strategy that gives a ton of points (5 workers + 2 silver the first time, a bit more workers and silver other times = 18 points and less food needed).

Emigration is a good way to make points, but it does not help you in developing your income and does not increase the bonuses you get throughout the game. Thus by making easy points in the early game you are neglecting something else.

However, at least in the solo mode, you can still fill your board, have a bunch of leftover silver, and earn 70+ points from emigration (see the other thread) to get 100+ in solo. Frank, would you say that is uncommon because the occupation card helped emigration, or can the other paths like whaling/raiding/hunting/cattle and sheep still reliably get 100+ in your experience too?

Thanks for the answers, everyone! This game has been stuck in my head as I try to understand the combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

However, at least in the solo mode, you can still fill your board, have a bunch of leftover silver, and earn 70+ points from emigration (see the other thread) to get 100+ in solo. Frank, would you say that is uncommon because the occupation card helped emigration, or can the other paths like whaling/raiding/hunting/cattle and sheep still reliably get 100+ in your experience too?

Thanks for the answers, everyone! This game has been stuck in my head as I try to understand the combinations.

No, it is not uncommon to make 100+ points. Usually we are setting this number rather a little low than too high, because we do not want to discourage someone who ends up with 60 points in his first game. Once this game has become more widely available the community will quickly determine a good score. My best score was something in the 150s or 160s and I didn't start with an early emigration...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I've played 7 solo games so far, all of them with fairly similar scores over 100 and only 1 of them using emigration. I prefer exploration and getting early bonuses over emigration. But really I let my occupations drive my strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Reimer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you're giving up 5 + round or 8 + round points to get 18 / 21 points for emigration. You're getting 6-12 points for your 2-3 workers, depending on the round, which doesn't seem much more powerful than the other options available to you, especially considering you need to forfeit your ability to take Knarr/Longship actions.

Compare that to taking the 2-worker trade action in the first round (1 wood / 1 ore for 1 silver + 1 chest). Assuming you place that chest in the lower left corner of your home board, you gain 15 points (1 silver + 14 silver of income by the end of the game). You're also 25% of the way to 5-6 mead. Of course, you only get a return like that if you do it in the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero 164
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
My best score after 2 rounds was 109 using emigration. Good to see its not a be all and end all strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero164 wrote:
My best score after 2 rounds was 109 using emigration. Good to see its not a be all and end all strategy.

What do you mean by this exactly? Your final score was 109, or you scored 109 in two game round strictly through emigration?

nan3000 wrote:
My best score was something in the 150s or 160s and I didn't start with an early emigration...

Was this using an early housing or exploration strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mb
Danwarr wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
My best score was something in the 150s or 160s and I didn't start with an early emigration...

Was this using an early housing or exploration strategy?

Coincidentally, I just had my best solo game (163) using emigration. I started with Refugee Helper and emigrated 5 times (only didn't in rounds 1 and 6). I don't think this strategy would have worked in multiplayer since I was highly dependent on specific actions being available AND it only worked because of my occupation.

So like most other strategies, I'd say emigration can be strong when it has synergy with your occupation. Without support it doesn't seem as strong as exploration and whaling/pillaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
150-160 certainly seems doable solo. I've only played 2p and my highest is 139. I'm curious to see how high people can go with 2,3, and 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice so clearly not explored all the benefits of emigration. The one game I won had a round 3 emigration. It felt fairly cheap at that moment to do and the two spots in the feast for rounds 3-7 added up to another 10 spots of tile (minimum) that weren't needed to feast. I completed a long house fairly easily that game and am confident that the early emigration contributed to that. Scored 105 in 3 players.

So emigration doesn't just provide actions ---> points directly. It also frees up the feast tiles for other uses (upgrades or round house/long house use).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.