Subject: Am I the only one who compares the GtR roles to Olympians? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jep M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
This is a little birthday gift for myself (and to fellow fans maybe?). Okay, here's my reasoning why I compare Glory to Rome ingame roles to the Olympians.

The most obvious comparison is Ares for legionnaire, very brutal. Poseidon is mostly just a color association thing or having the ability to tap the sea of market or something. Heph is architect since craftman is associated with wood/wheat/Demeter. Patron probably could have been Hermes but his iconic symbol is glass wine or purple grapes.And Bacchus/Dionysus recruits clients/female worshipers to have crazy frenzy ritual dance parties that can possible rip other players apart in a frenzy. Artemis hunts for stuff for you.

If you don't know, Igor Wolski's art of an old man that I associate with Zeus is the art for the leader card.So that's a given straight away. The rest I have left are Apollo, Hermes, Athena and Hera. Each of these olympians have qualities that probably suits a senator role.(or the jack cards). They are summoned for important business. In the actual lore, I don't know why Zeus cheats on Hera all the time. *ahem*

Aphrodite I reserved exclusively for the pretty boy. He's the face of the polish edition. A fictional english version of this european edition is sought after and lust over by many here in the U.S. We even have a badge to reflect this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Careful here.
There seems to be a weird cult of true GtR devotees who are rather obsessed and puritanical- at least until GtR's next revelation and second coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jep M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
No worries, no condensation intended

In case, anyone is confused, the assets in this diagram are super shrunk art for Glory to Rome.

Those custom made Jack cards above are displayed for fair use purposes to compare the chart and how it correlates to the olympians with its original setting. There's supposed to be only 5 jack cards in play. 3 of the 6 unique artwork were originally bonus cards. 6th one, Incitatus, was among the extra cards that can be used in the game for its alternative and humorous art.

Incitatus card is a reference to Incitatus, a very favorite horse of a previous emperor, Caligula. Tabloid historians report the horse being appointed to the Senate either as a subject of banter, a true joke, or due to apparent insanity that the emperor was slowly falling into. Who knows what's true. I would link Incitatus to Hades since he usually isn't one of the 12 olympians

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.