Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Allan wanted to try out a variant Wings of Glory scenario positing that in the last years of the war the martians of HG Wells' imagination arrived and attacked the earth.

The rules were experimental, and required the use of altitude. The tripods (Allan created four kinds but we only used two) can fire heat rays or sent a burst of poison gas that have an area effect and drop down one height level per turn until it dissipates on the ground.

In addition to our planes, the human players had tanks. Allan made liberal use of his 3D printer to make the tripods as well as the tanks.

We started on a single mat, with two players as the tripods, and three as the humans. The winning condition was for the humans to disable both tripods. The tripods had vulnerable spots on their legs or on their tops and relative range was measured from the actual plane or gun and we had enough mounts to have an actual height (also 3D printed).

The humans started with two fighters and one Zeppelin Staaken bomber.

The objective of the play test was to see how the tripods would be able to fare against fighters in the air and tanks on the ground. The game unfurled rather as one might expect with the aircraft rushing in and the tanks moving very slowly on the ground. The tanks could move the width of the standard Wings of Glory rangefinder.

The planes ended up being more of a distraction than a help as they were often too high to hit the tripods we were fighting (noting here that there is a really BIG tripod that would easily been in range at height 3, but not in our practice scenario), and also were only able to target the vulnerable areas of the tripods.

However, the poison gas clouds did harm several pilots and almost killed one. The bomber overshot his target and the bomb missed, but with some severely wounded crew (poison gas) flew off the board and I respawned with a rocket armed Drachen.

The tanks managed to destroy the heat ray on the scout unit, and it marched onwards with intent to stomp tanks into the dirt.

The Drachen missed with his first rocket salvo, although did get a shot in with his machine guns. The larger tripod managed to set the Drachen on fire with a heat ray with his M damage (custom damage cards).

Two tanks however converged on the larger tripod and were able to take out the rear leg causing it to collapse.

Humanity was saved!

The scenario was entertaining, and the single mat worked very well with the 5 players around the table. In the post test session we remarked that it was good to start so close to one another in order to get straight into the action. We also noted that it felt right (an entirely subjective opinion on our parts) that the planes were essentially flammable kites and that the tanks ended up being the heroes of the piece.

The tripods were not as effective as the pair running had hoped, but felt that it was because they focused too much on the planes and not enough on the tanks.

All in all, the combined arms of the land based tanks + bi-planes vs. the very tough tripods was a lot of fun. We're looking forward to seeing more of this in action at BottosCon 2016 the weekend of November 4-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like awesome fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR...but, not my thing shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've whetted my appetite for a naval scenario. Come on Thunder Child!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb!

H.G. Wells would be delighted. He loved to play with toys, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great indeed!

We are doing something with the same setting:

Wings of Glory: Tripods & triplanes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks hella fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
That's great indeed!

We are doing something with the same setting:

Wings of Glory: Tripods & triplanes

My friend was commenting on the amusing coincidence that after he started working on his tripod project he found out about that expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great minds think alike!

We started working on this in January 2013. No surprise that he discovered it only now, anyway, since the first announcement has been given in late August this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.