7,465 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47% of Goal | left

Support:

Paul Stone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I am assuming Garrisons must be given a command in order to combat.

On the turn a Garrison is formed (by an ordered infantry unit exiting a building hex) is it possible for the just formed Garrison to combat that same turn?

The problem I see is that the Garrison has not itself received a command (the moving, exiting infantry unit had) but there is no opportunity, that turn, to order the Garrison (giving a command comes before movement). So, on the turn it is formed, Garrisons do not combat. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional rules clarifications from Richard Borg, 2015-05-21:
• A Garrison marker can not move, but it need a corresponding command card order to battle
• Basic terrain rules do apply (in- and outside) to determine the number of battledice, when a Garrison block is battling and when a Garrison block is being attacked
• A Garrison marker is hit on range with INF and FLG symbol and in melee additional with the XSW symbol. Note, also units which usual don´t hit in melee with XSW, hits a Garrison marker with XSW.
• A Garrison marker can never ignore a flag result of any reason
• A friendly Leader can attached to a Garrison marker
• A Garrison Marker can´t provide support other units (to ignore flags for those units)
http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/the-game/game-b...

so the Garrison must be ordered, and I think you are correct that it could not be ordered on the turn it is formed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link to additional rules clarifications. For such a small unit, Garrisons require a lot of exceptions and clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I respect and use the official rules. But deep in my heart I would have made the garrison able to ignore flag (if supported or in a church or fortified farm etc)! Come on: It would have been simpler (no rule change), so more natural for the players, more historical (some little garrisons did incredible resistance sometimes) and it would not have change the stats that much: Still 1/3 to be smashed per die at range and 1/2 in melee ... still per die!

But that's again my arrogant opinion lol. Most of us follow the official rules ... It's just our right to love more or less some of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillaume,

It's your game and you can enjoy playing it however you like. You and your friends can always tweak the rules to suit your tastes or satisfy curiosity if you are all in agreement about it.

Play some games with your group the way you suggest and let us know how it went!

A good way to share such a suggestion is to create a historical scenario of your own that uses them as a special rule. Post it to commandsandcolors.net or to the Files section here and give folks a chance to try them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.