Subject: A thrilling exchange of snookers in the Second Round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start with a quiz question. You are 34-17 in front and need to pot a color before potting the final red. Which color do you choose?

It is not black. Now let me tell you how I found out.

I was playing Tony Thompson in the 2nd round of my 4th tournament. A 11 on my second pot gave Tony a chance to put up an early lead of 1-17. Despite this early setback, a break of 33 put me in prime position to win the match and reach the quarter finals. At 34-17 I was presented with the situation shown above. I potted black for a break of 40 but now the last red ball was boxed in by brown, pink and black. With one chalck remaining, I went for the pot on the final red... and missed.

The table then looked like this:

Tony escaped the snooker, leaving the balls in place. Then I faced the snooker... with no chalck remaining. I had no choice but to call a foul on myself and hand Tony 4 points... and another snooker.

What happened next, was a thrilling exchange of shots by Tony and me each trying to escape from the snooker we faced in sequence. Each time I handed Tony 4 points until finally Tony did not escape and allowed me to place the cue ball as I pleased. Tony had fought his way back into the match to 45-37, but surely I would clear the table from here.

I potted the final red, followed by the blue b...

In my best John Virgo voice: "Where is that cue ball going?"

I fouled the pot on the blue ball. Tony made short works of the final colors, winning the match 46-68.

This was a thrilling match in which I fouled no less than 7 shots (two of which where actual 11, giving away 28 points. I need to wait for the next tournament to have a chance of reaching the quarter finals in Solitaire Snooker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDDs wrote:
I'll start with a quiz question. You are 34-17 in front and need to pot a color before potting the final red. Which color do you choose?

It is not black. Now let me tell you how I found out.

I was playing Tony Thompson in the 2nd round of my 4th tournament. A 11 on my second pot gave Tony a chance to put up an early lead of 1-17. Despite this early setback, a break of 33 put me in prime position to win the match and reach the quarter finals. At 34-17 I was presented with the situation shown above. I potted black for a break of 40 but now the last red ball was boxed in by brown, pink and black. With one chalck remaining, I went for the pot on the final red... and missed.

The table then looked like this:

Tony escaped the snooker, leaving the balls in place. Then I faced the snooker... with no chalck remaining. I had no choice but to call a foul on myself and hand Tony 4 points... and another snooker.

What happened next, was a thrilling exchange of shots by Tony and me each trying to escape from the snooker we faced in sequence. Each time I handed Tony 4 points until finally Tony did not escape and allowed me to place the cue ball as I pleased. Tony had fought his way back into the match to 45-37, but surely I would clear the table from here.

I potted the final red, followed by the blue b...

In my best John Virgo voice: "Where is that cue ball going?"

I fouled the pot on the blue ball. Tony made short works of the final colors, winning the match 46-68.

This was a thrilling match in which I fouled no less than 7 shots (two of which where actual 11, giving away 28 points. I need to wait for the next tournament to have a chance of reaching the quarter finals in Solitaire Snooker.

Amazing match! I'm pleased to see the game continues to throw up so many different scenarios. I played a quarter-final match yesterday - was 6 points behind and needed a roll of 5 on the final black to win - and threw precisely that!

And, yes, in the pressurised atmosphere of a tournament, even the best players can make the wrong choice.

Brilliant write up.
You need to post this elsewhere - SGOYT? (if only to serve as a lesson to others!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.