Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Refinery

Now or when ships return, sell 1 whale for @x its listed coat.

So i go out to sea 6 and i got a whale on that whaling phase and next turn i go to the Refinery I can sell 1 whale off my ship that is on sea space 5 for 2x the $$$

Brewery

Take 1 Food per 2rounds remaining and $2

say you are on round 4 you would take 4 food because there are 8 turns left and $2 or $8???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Refinery

No.
Here's how the Refinery action works:

For twice it's cost, you can either:
- Sell one whale now, that you own (i.e., that you've already paid for and is in your Returned Whales area)
or,
- Sell one whale when your ship returns off of that ship. But to use this option, you must be occupying the Refinery when the ship returns!

Reference: Rising Tide rulebook, page 6 and page 17, note #3.

Brewery

Despite the way the Reference Section reads, you would take $2 and 4 Food if you're on round 4.

But if you were to read the rulebook, you'd get a different answer. Why?
This, I believe, is a good example of how the wording on a game component is actually clearer than the expanded description in the rules! The Brewery description on page 7 of the Rising Tide rulebook suffers from poor grammar. I'm 99% sure it's missing a very critical comma.

Page 7 says that the player takes $2 and 1 food for each 2 rounds remaining. Grammatically, that reads as, ($2 and 1 food) for each 2 rounds.
So if you're on round 4, with 8 rounds remaining, that'd of course be 8÷2=4 ... 4x$2=$8 and 4x1food=4 food.

Instead, page 7 should be written as, "adds $2, and 1 food for each 2 rounds remaining". See how that comma makes all the difference? This interpretation is supported for two reasons:
1) The actual building tile is very clear: "Take 1 food per two rounds remaining and $2". The reordering of the words achieves the same effect as adding the comma, above.
2) Most telling, is the 4th Note on page 17 of the Rising Tide rulebook! It says: "Starting in round 11, the Brewery gives only $2 and no food."

So again, it's gain 1 Food for every two [entire] rounds remaining, plus a flat $2, no matter how many rounds are left.

And oh, one final note about the Brewery: The tile should have a Dice Hate Me Games icon (pair of dice) printed on it. Keep that in mind when playing with the Publishing House!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Barry, exactly right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sure this was the intent of the game but we did play it how they thought it would work since that was the reason they bought the building. it was the first game with these buildings.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.