Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Brimstone Gang!

We've been busy finishing up development on the last items from the Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter and gearing up for our upcoming new Kickstarter - Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress! It uses all of the same rules and gameplay as the original Shadows of Brimstone, but takes the action to feudal Japan, with Japanese themed Heroes and Enemies. All fully compatible!

Wave 2 Update

First off, let's talk about the status of Wave 2. Barring any unforeseen delays, we are still on track for starting to ship out Wave 2 packages to backers beginning in December/January. We will be processing Backer Pledges in rounds, as all of the components needed for different pledges arrive from manufacturing in China. With nearly 5,000 backers, it will take several months to get all of these packages packed up and sent out, but we are excited to get the last of the Stretch Goals and Add-Ons into the hands of the backers!

We have been talking with our international distribution partners that will be handling shipping from within the EU, UK, and Australia; making a plan for Wave 2 delivery. Due to Holiday shipping congestion, they will be ready to begin in the new year.

At this point, virtually all of the remaining components are complete. All miniatures have been handed off for mold tooling. That is an important milestone because tooling of the steel molds takes the most time of any part of the process. Most of the printed components are ready in our warehouse or currently in manufacturing. But, some printed components are waiting for an open slot for manufacturing at the factories as the end of year/holiday season is a very busy time for manufacturing in China. Rather than hand off all of the files before there is an open window to start manufacturing, we are continuing to balance test and polish right up until the last minute to make everything as good as possible!

It has been a long production to get everything done, but we are committed to making the very best games that we can and are excited to be nearing the finish line on this massive Shadows of Brimstone KS!

Blasted Wastes Preview

Much like the Trederra OtherWorld, The Blasted Wastes will be a Deluxe OtherWorld Expansion! That means in addition to the full Map Tile set for the Blasted Wastes and the Wasteland Scavengers Enemy group (as originally listed in the Kickstarter), it will also be filled with tons of new material, including entirely new decks of cards, a new alien Town to visit, many new enemies to fight, and new game mechanics!

As part of expanding the Blasted Wastes into a Deluxe OtherWorld, we've added a cool new second pose to the Wasteland Scavengers, twice the number of new cards, an alien Barter Town for the Heroes to visit, and instead of Mine Map Tiles on the back, we've added a whole new World for the Old West – The Canyons! All of these changes will be included for free to those backers that are getting the Blasted Wastes OtherWorld (as part of a Mine Cart Pledge, or as an Add-On)! There are also 3 new Enemy Types (Wasteland Heavies/Warlord, Sand Crabs, and tribal Ghost Warriors - an unreached Stretch Goal that we made available in the Pledge Manager) that will be part of the retail release version of this Deluxe Expansion. These will be made available as an Optional Upgrade package to KS backers that want to complete their Blasted Wastes expansion to match the final retail version. More details will be available on how to purchase this Optional Upgrade for these new Enemy groups before Wave 2 starts shipping.

Day and Night

One major feature of the Blasted Wastes OtherWorld is a Day and Night cycle. On this alien, prison planet, the days are short and blazingly hot, as the blistering suns beat down on those that move across the desert landscape and powerful Dark Stone dust storms sweep across the dunes. But at night, once the suns have set, the sulfur acid pools begin to bubble and boil, creating clouds of toxic mist that settle in the valleys around them. Some of the creatures and inhabitants are also emboldened at night, more aggressive and dangerous to those straying into their hunting grounds.

Wasteland Barter Town

The Blasted Wastes is also home to a new type of Town that the Heroes can visit, The Wasteland Barter Town! Using Scrap and Tech scavenged from the wreckage out in the wastes as currency, Heroes can visit the Scavenger Doc to heal their injuries, using brutal but effective alien tools and remedies, or the Wasteland Workshop to get all manner of post-apocalyptic Upgrades for their Items, even having the alien junksmith construct a set of Wasteland Scrap Armor for them!

The Canyon

Rather than do more Mine Map Tiles on the backside of the Blasted Wastes, we decided to introduce a new Earth environment in the form of The Canyons! These red rock gulch pieces allow the Heroes to adventure through the craggy valleys and white water rivers of the Southwest. With hungry vultures circling overhead, river crossings, flash floods, and tribal Ghost Warriors descending from the hills, The Canyons are not for the faint of heart.

Heroes can even find Exits and Entrances back and forth between the Mines and The Canyons along the way.

A man-eating cactus has grown wild in these parts, sprawling over the rocky desert floor and lying in wait for its next victim to stray too close.

The Blasted Wastes has more than just Wasteland Scavengers roaming the desert dunes, they are lead by Wasteland Warlords, powerful leaders that whip them into a frenzy while savagely carving a path through any Heroes that would stand in his way. They also have Wasteland Heavies, carrying large and powerful Scrap Cannons into the fight to unleash a torrent of deadly rust bolts at their foes.

The sulfur deserts of the wasteland are also home to many exotic alien creatures, but few are more fearsome than the deadly Sand Crabs! These fiends have thick, armored shells, and large snapping claws, burrowing through the sandy ground to ambush their prey from below.

There is also a new Enemy themed for The Canyons in the form of the Indian tribal Ghost Warriors! These demon-possessed Indian Braves were once human, living in villages on the outskirts of Brimstone when it blew. As the creatures and demons that could take physical form terrorized the inhabitants of the town itself, the formless spirits and demons released swept through the native camps and villages throughout the nearby countryside, taking possession of whole tribes. Now they paint their bodies a ghastly white, roaming the cliffs and canyons, jittering in and out of reality as they stalk unwary travelers and strike out from the shadows of the void to attack!

Another Kickstarter?!?

As mentioned in the last Update, when members of the Flying Frog team completed their Shadows of Brimstone KS work, they began rolling onto the next project… Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress! By having this next project lined up, it meant that we could avoid down time for artists and sculptors between projects. In this way, doing a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone was a natural choice as it had all of the framework and game engine from the previous two Core Sets, but with some new mechanics, all new content, and a very cool and different theme, starting the Heroes in Feudal Japan.

We learned a lot from our first Kickstarter campaign, and while it was challenging, we are proud of the epic game line that was created. Not to mention the amazing community that came out of the Kickstarter and continues today. All of our experiences, lessons learned, and pipelines established have led to our new Kickstarter project for the next chapter in the world of Shadows of Brimstone.

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress

When we decided to do a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone, we wanted it to bring something new to the table, beyond simply new content. There have always been strong ties between Feudal Japan and the American Old West, so it seemed like a great way to expand what the world of Shadows of Brimstone is. Thus was born Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress!

As a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone, Forbidden Fortress can either be played on its own, as a stand-alone game, or it can be used in combination with any and all of the other Shadows of Brimstone products! It is fully compatible, in every way!

Forbidden Fortress also adds a brand new OtherWorld on the back side of the Map Tiles… The Belly of the Beast! Backers from the original Brimstone Kickstarter may recognize this as an OtherWorld Stretch Goal that was not unlocked during the original campaign. When we started formalizing what would be in Forbidden Fortress, the idea of adding the Belly of the Beast as the OtherWorld on the back side of the tiles was a perfect fit! What could be more in keeping with the Japanese theme than allowing the Heroes to find their way through a portal that leads inside of an unspeakably massive creature; battling all sorts of living organs and parasites, and fighting off the Flesh Mites, Acid Blobs, and Parasitic Tentacles that inhabit this ‘living’ world.

Many of the new Enemies for Forbidden Fortress are inspired by traditional Japanese myth and legend, but with a Shadows of Brimstone feel to them. Creatures take the form of terrifying ghosts and Demons to make manifest the supernatural horrors of Feudal Japan.

But there are courageous Heroes to fight back this new evil that has invaded their world! The stalwart Samurai Warrior, using his mastery of the Katana and his code of honor to defeat his foes in combat, the nimble and deadly ninja Assassin, using stealth and speed as weapons, the Traveling Monk, a member of an ancient Yamabushi order devoted to fighting supernatural creatures that threaten our world, and the powerful and mystic Sorceress, who wields Elemental Magik to crush her enemies.

For new players, Forbidden Fortress will make a great introduction to the world of Shadows of Brimstone, and for veteran players, it can easily be treated as two brand new OtherWorlds, with a new set of Heroes and Enemies to add to your games. It also gives you the new option of starting your Heroes in Feudal Japan or the Old West, or mixing your Hero party for fantastic adventures. The possibilities are endless!

Once again, we would like to thank all of our original Shadows of Brimstone Backers for supporting the project and coming on this adventure with us. If you'd like to saddle up once again for another wild ride in the world of Shadows of Brimstone, the adventures continue in the land of the rising sun!

The Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter launches on October 31st!

That's all for now! Happy Gaming

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep i particularly liked the part about wave 2 shipping taking months!
i guess it will be march next year before everyone has it.
i hope they do a better job for the new KS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that the new KS will be one box, no add ons,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'll still be a little surprised if Wave 2 completely delivers by March, April, or even May.

I feel like I'm the only person that regrets getting the Mine Cart Pledge. If I'd known how long it would take to deliver, I would have just bought it all retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:
yep i particularly liked the part about wave 2 shipping taking months!
i guess it will be march next year before everyone has it.
i hope they do a better job for the new KS

I think they've learned. Nearly 5000 backers, probably with a fairly diverse set of selections. I would be impressed if they have even 50% duplication of order compositions.

Given some recent experiences (*cough Project: ELITE cough*) that have many, many fewer SKUs (packable elements) and yet still have a really high rate of mis-packed components, it sounds like the Frogs are doing a really good job there. For what has been shipped, I've seen basically no reports of issues and those have generally been handled quickly and efficiently. My experience with them has been that I've gotten replacements a week after reporting a problem (missing dice from before my wife discovered her dice addition; incompletely formed serpentman sprue). So this may be delayed, but they're taking their time to get things right and they seem to be trying to give realistic estimates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
I would think that the new KS will be one box, no add ons,

I think there will be a KS-exclusive promo (likely a hero (like the Outlaw from the first one)) to entice people to back it. But yeah, otherwise I'll be pretty shocked if there's anything else involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stjase wrote:
Honestly, I'll still be a little surprised if Wave 2 completely delivers by March, April, or even May.

I feel like I'm the only person that regrets getting the Mine Cart Pledge. If I'd known how long it would take to deliver, I would have just bought it all retail.

I've done the "virtual minecart", I was in for Outlaw and through GenCon exclusives and purchasing stuff on CSI when possible, I've been closing the gap. It will be around double the cost of the mine cart in the end. Which is quite a bit to pay for earlier access. Buying the stuff at retail would run you probably triple the pledge.

I hope you at least did 1.5 backing, if you didn't it is still available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stjase wrote:

No, you are not the only one. There does seem to be a trend on these boards for others to shout down people unhappy about how long the wait has been. I think most of us just stopped bothering to post about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
stjase wrote:

No, you are not the only one. There does seem to be a trend on these boards for others to shout down people unhappy about how long the wait has been. I think most of us just stopped bothering to post about it.

I don't begrudge anyone their frustration, but I do think it's pointless for there to be multiple (in fact, many) posts on the topic. Venting about things you can't control to other people who also can't control it is a waste of emotional energy.

In the scheme of things, at least the end product is high quality and the price point is a very strong discount off of retail. There have been much worse Kickstarter campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
stjase wrote:

If that is the case, I'm not saying they're right to do that, but they probably got their fill of bitching in the replies section of every Kickstarter status update.
Just speculating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
What are you looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
If that is the case, I'm not saying they're right to do that, but they probably got their fill of bitching in the replies section of every Kickstarter status update.

Both updates? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stjase wrote:

I piggy backed an outlaw and wish I got a mine cart I have spent much more on retail than I would have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it sucks that it has taken so long to finish up SoB. I'm kinda torn whether or not to back the new one as I had both core sets and Cynder before alot of original backers did. Still, I regretted not backing, so I'll at least be closely watching this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't really care how long it takes since Mine Cart backers got the content for a fraction of what it costs now and the extra time has obviously made the new content much better. Sure, it's disappointing that development took longer, but if they just rushed it out the door the game would of suffered. The Otherworlds box sets and Town expansion are so much better then originally planned because of the extended development time.

A crappy game is crappy forever, a late game is only upsetting until it arrives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Don't really care how long it takes since Mine Cart backers got the content for a fraction of what it costs now and the extra time has obviously made the new content much better. Sure, it's disappointing that development took longer, but if they just rushed it out the door the game would of suffered. The Otherworlds box sets and Town expansion are so much better then originally planned because of the extended development time.

A crappy game is crappy forever, a late game is only upsetting until it arrives!

Good points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
clip611 wrote:
stjase wrote:

Same here. It's been so long I just don't care anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things I would love to have in the new KS that would enhance both versions

1. giant packs of new gear and artifacts for all the new and old worlds
2. An official campaign or an in house system like hex crawl
3. Cards for all the town items
4. Expanded character trees and post level 8 rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
A few things I would love to have in the new KS that would enhance both versions

#4 is my biggest question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mb
Like a lot of other people I was annoyed to find out that I would have to wait years for my stuff, that the stuff I was waiting for was made available to others, and that the wave 1.5 shipping was prohibitively expensive, since as a european/dane I would have to add danish taxes and fees to the cost. And it also stresses me a bit that I don't know how much more money I'll be asked to pay to get the upgraded versions of stuff I already paid for.
But on the other hand, I understand...
The FFP guys got caught up in the kickstarter along with the rest of us. I'm sure a mix of exitement and greed drove them, as much as it drove me and all you other people who backed at "Holy crap we get a lot of stuff here!" level.
And the stuff took time to develop and playtest and produce...
A lot of other kickstarters seem to have skipped a bit on the development and playtest part, to get their stuff out on time, often resulting in subpar games, components, gameplay.
FFP could have done this a LOT faster, if they'd just made the minis, and slapped some rules and cards on them, but they seem to have spent the time well.
As an example, let's take the Jargono Serpentmen:
The only thing promised/advertised in the kickstarter was six serpentmen (enemies x 6) and a serpentman shaman (enemy figure, cards and rules). After development and playtesting these have been combined in one set, including the basically nescessary stuff to add them, like threat cards and rules, but ALSO rules for six different versions of serpentmen tribes, spells and ju-ju trinkets for the shaman, new Jargono artifacts and encounter cards, plus two new missions.
I understand a lot of other things have been made more interesting, like the expanded frontier town stretch goal, which might easily just have been a board version of the town sheet with a couple extra rules, but turned into a whole new expansion that I understand peopel are very happy with.
I think it has been a long wait, but I appreciate that they seem to have actually spent the time developing and playtesting my stuff instead of rushing unfinished, bland, basic crap at me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve de Vries
msg tools
dermaestro wrote:
whiskemuscles wrote:

#4 is my biggest question

I second this!

5. Would also like to see tweaks to combat, or maybe and advanced version of combat.
6. Systems/mechanics to give a Posse more choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope the GEAR deck for FOFO will be separated from the GEAR deck from the Wild West setting! (I'm sure it will).

I'm looking forward for all the new content that's being released. I have been saving money for this!

Can't wait to also buy the new Deluxe expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
I support Israel!
badge
I love Israel!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have anyone heard or seen anything about the different "mission packs"... "The Lost Army", "Wherewolves' den", "Vampire nest","Hellfire succubi" and "Black Fang Tribe"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaspar Pujol
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
Maze of Galious forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that at least "Black Fang" would be included in the Blasted Wastes as Ghost Warriors. Or have I read wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mb
Moix wrote:
It seems that at least "Black Fang" would be included in the Blasted Wastes as Ghost Warriors. Or have I read wrong?

Two different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.