Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Aldrich
United States
Newfields
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
As I patiently wait my copy of the game I am starting to think of how I will play the game. Most of the co-op style games I have can be played solo (controlling multiple players) but this one seems a little daunting to do so.

My question for those as you begin to play, when you play a 2 player game are you each controlling 2 mechs? If not, do you find the game difficult using just two mechs? I watched GameBoyGeeks review this morning and he mentioned it's doable but 4 players seems to be the way to play. As someone who may not have 3 others who would want to play on a moments notice I am thinking of ways to play with 1 or 2.

I think if I only have one other person to play with I will start with just 2 mechs, then move on to each of us controlling two mechs. How does everyone else plan to play the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will most likely play it multiple ways
2 Player and 4 player. quite possibly 3 player as well.

I don't think it will be a big deal playing 2 player as you get 2 cards rather than one.

But we will see...(hopefully soon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael nobody
Germany
Ahrensburg
flag msg tools
aldrichb wrote:
As I patiently wait my copy of the game I am starting to think of how I will play the game. Most of the co-op style games I have can be played solo (controlling multiple players) but this one seems a little daunting to do so.

My question for those as you begin to play, when you play a 2 player game are you each controlling 2 mechs? If not, do you find the game difficult using just two mechs? I watched GameBoyGeeks review this morning and he mentioned it's doable but 4 players seems to be the way to play. As someone who may not have 3 others who would want to play on a moments notice I am thinking of ways to play with 1 or 2.

I think if I only have one other person to play with I will start with just 2 mechs, then move on to each of us controlling two mechs. How does everyone else plan to play the game?

I think we'll try the official rules, with one mech per player and two cards per draft, first. If it doesn't work well or seems to not be winnable, we will be controlling 2 mechs each. By then we'll probably know the mechanics of the game good enough to play two mechs at the same time. But i don't expect this to be necessary, because I think a coop can and should be hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Bustamante
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you always draft 4 cards no matter how many people are playing, so in a 2 player game, you are getting orders into your mech twice as fast as in a 4 player game. this is used to scale the difficulty as far as i understand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
aldrichb wrote:

I played through the campaign with 2 of us players, each controlling 1 mech. It was challenging at times, but that's what you want in a co-op, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Burge
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
It will be very difficult to control more than one mech, due to the timing mechanic. You could remove that and control 2, but it doesn't seem as fun, and would break all sorts of immersion imo. There is a mechanic with the program card draft that accounts for less than 4 players that, according to those who have played it, works quite nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play MvM mostly in two players game with my son. If the challenge is too high, I'll adjust it by lowering the doom counter down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaja117 wrote:
It will be very difficult to control more than one mech, due to the timing mechanic. You could remove that and control 2, but it doesn't seem as fun, and would break all sorts of immersion imo. There is a mechanic with the program card draft that accounts for less than 4 players that, according to those who have played it, works quite nicely.

Agreed. For 2 players, you're best to stick with 2 mechs. I believe some missions (like Mission 1, and other missions that involve towing), 2 mechs is a bit easier, since getting 2 cards makes towing easier (since you need 2 movement to tow, and only the one card (Speed) gives you that in a single card.) For other missions, where you have enemies coming from more than 2 directions, more than 2 mechs would be a bit easier.

In the end, different player counts will just give you a slightly different play experience, which actually adds some variety to the game. Playing with 4 mechs and playing with 2 mechs is just as fun, but the strategies needed and the overall feel of the mission will be a bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
I'll play MvM mostly in two players game with my son. If the challenge is too high, I'll adjust it by lowering the doom counter down.

I've been doing this with my son, and so far it works well. Every mission has a normal and an easy mode, and it's not hard to just extend what's done for easy mode to make a "really easy" mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Aldrich
United States
Newfields
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
These are all great responses, thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.