Hide
14 Posts

Galaxy Trucker» Forums » General

Subject: expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter F
msg tools
i got GT some time ago and its a bit repetitive for me. now im thinking what expansions should i add. (at the moment just one)
atm there are 3 available. the first big, another big and the missions expansion.
which one would you recommend? what are the best parts of those expansions?
i dont want to make it too complex cause i often play with a few new playes.

thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locutus Zero
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of the expansions other than the missions expansion. I know there is at least one other one that you do not mention, an expansion that just includes ships.

I find that the expansions bog down the game. Especially the new ship tiles. Whatever expansion(s) you get, if you are worried about making things too complicated, I would only play with the new ships from the expansion, most of the time.

Breaking out which ship tiles come from which expansion is a pain when you are trying to play with new people, so I'd really just leave them separate most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By a long way, I would recommend Missions as the first expansion to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the expansions are great, though integrating them into games with new players can be a bit of a challenge. What I've sometimes done is left out the new tiles and then

a) Drawn one or more Rough Roads per flight (from Big Expansion) and only applying their effects to the veteran players
b) Given veteran players more complicated ships (from any of the expansions) while the new players get the basic ships for the flight. For instance, new players fly Class 3 ships while the veterans fly Class 3Bs.
c) Both of these

Worth noting: if you get Another Big Expansion, the Intruders are super cool, but in order to defend against them you'll need some of the expansion tiles in the mix, specifically Armories and Auto-Defense Turrets. So if you're keeping the tiles separate, also remove the Intruder Hazards.

And also, consider that some of the expansion tiles are pretty straightforward to understand even as a new player. Indestructible components and the combination tiles (Engine/cannon and battery/cargo) are easy to include. Things like router modules, solar panels, and stasis chambers might still be good for people new to this game but with some gaming experience under their belts.

Personally, if you're going to get just one, I'd say grab Big Expansion first. Between Rough Roads, Evil Machinations, new ships and Blue aliens, it gives you a lot to play with and is very modular. It'll definitely return you to that "Oh crap, how am I even going to finish this flight?!" feeling of your first few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think reducing the repetition for you, and keeping the game accessible for new players, are inherently incompatible. You want to add more variety of gameplay for yourself, but that also makes it much harder for new players who don't even know the basic rules. I'd suggest you start with Missions, but frankly, I don't think anything is going to work. You have to find a group of players who like the game enough to play it regularly (which is why I don't get to play it more, I don't have enough of those).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea is to get the first expansion and play with Rough Roads cards that only affect you and not the new/less experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
By a long way, I would recommend Missions as the first expansion to buy.

I approve of this message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter F
msg tools
why missions over the first big one?
doesnt the first one offer a lot more without too much more complexity? (more tiles, ships, etc.) the big one isnt that much more expensive than the missions exp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Chase

Akron
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with the missions (in the board game version) or tried the "just ships" expansion, but I strongly recommend the Big Expansion.

As others have said, a bunch of the new ship tiles are just variations/combinations of the base game components that new players will be able to understand.

The more important reason to get it is for the 5th player. This game is popular with my friends so we always have the maximum number of players when we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Another idea is to get the first expansion and play with Rough Roads cards that only affect you and not the new/less experienced players.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmb
I will hijack this thread a bit to note that Missions + Another Big Expansion offer experienced truckers the opportunity to play shorter games by bypassing 1st and 2nd round completely and jumping straight to rounds 3 and 4 with missions. You don't miss any of the action (mostly) and can finish in a short time when you need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think playing only rounds 3 and 4 is shorter than a standard game (rounds 1, 2, and 3). I think round 4 takes longer to play than rounds 1 and 2 together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe the pure playing time is comparable depending on group experience, but not the total when taking into account resolving the mission, resetting and preparing the next mission one extra time, in the case of rounds 1 and 2.
The construction time is about the same for both cases (5 hourglasses max) but we finish level 4 ships in 3 flips at most.

Also if you are using level 1 and 2 ships from the expansions, they come with a lot of extra rules which can make you pause and think when building them. Level 4 ships on the other hand are quite simple, they are just really big .

It's a matter of taste but I've found a level 3 and 4 session (enriched with Missions if available) is more interesting to experienced players than 1,2 and 3. That is, if you don't have the time for a complete 1 to 4 playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the "official" game is rounds 2, 3, and 4. Not 1, 2, 3, 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.