BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Seeking advice on shading minis -- do i need to prime? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR -- Do i need to prime minis if all i want to do is shade them? (I'll probably be looking for army painter quickshade or something similar.)

I'm no genius at miniatures. After quiet meditation and self-reflection, i learned i won't have the skills nor patience to paint anything smaller than my wall. My poorly-glued Super Dungeon Explore guys will agree.

And despite not wanting to paint my board game minis, i wish to shade them. I was first alerted to this option by an instagram-er complaining about secondhand minis he had to strip because they were shaded. The picture revealed that the minis actually looked like something i'd like! And now this craze over Mechs vs Minions show another set of simply shaded minis looking good.

I understand paint does not stick to plastic, but do shading varnishes(?) stick?

Many thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a minis guy, so I prime (and paint) all my minis ... the primer helps the paint stick to the metal/plastic.

I've never actually tried to shade a bare mini but plenty of manufacturers shade metal figs to show definition ... I would first wash it in soap and water and try one. It might not flow very well and tend to bead excessively but it might work. Note that there are a lot of different shading materials so some might work better than others ...

(You could also prime them the same colour as the plastic (gray?)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^ This. I don't know how successfully the shade will stick if you don't prime. Hmmm...never tried that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're doing NO painting and JUST shade, something like Minwax Polyshade will work fine right on the plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't the old Testor's brand paints stick directly to plastic w/o primer?
(at least the hard, brittle plastic used in Tamiya models and such).

Brush on some white, beige, whatever than do a wash of darker color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.